Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I'm just pointing it out, in iOS 7 double pressing home opened multitasking immediately with a slower smoother animation. In iOS 8 beta 1 it has a delay just like pressing home to exit an app, but also a notably snappier animation, side by side iOS 7 opens multitasking first, once you're in multitasking it is faster in iOS 8. I doubt they are going to change it, it seems like an accessibility change for the triple press feature. This is not a beta glitch.

Either way please don't get defensive it was just an observation. :)

Not defensive, just pointing out that no benchmarking should be done with beta code regardless of the operating system. With that said, it's fun to talk about the changes and differences keeping in mind the results will change. :cool:

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ditto.

I can now reconsider iPhone.

But it's also a sad day. This and the ability to say "Hey, Siri" (like "OK Google") really does show that Apple's innovative days are over, and they too are now resorting to just copying. These are features Android has had for years.
The difference if you heard the keynote is Apple refused to do it until they had a way to secure the typing, so your key strokes aren't transmitted like Google does. If a third party keyboard tries in iOS 8 you will be prompted to authorize it. I'm glad they don't just throw in features without considering the effects. Now the idea of Apple copying Google with hey Siri is not really accurate either. This has been a standard mac feature since at least 2000 when OS X was released. You have always been able to turn the feature on and say Computer then a multitude of commands to control the mac by voice.

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I just attempted to use credit card feature in Safari. Didnt work first go around but inputed second time with zero issues. When inputing credit information it ask if you want to use Camera or list other credit card info stored on phone. I have two cards apperantly stored some where in phone. It brought up both cards or asked for Camera view

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I just popped in to say that I love the "Show usage by app" menu that was added. Found out that Facebook had been draining my battery all day even though I only opened it once this morning. Glad to be rid of it again!

Cancelled
Feb 12, 2012
This seems new to me...

Every single application installed on the iPhone now has its own menu from Settings and you can tell iOS whether or not it is allowed to use cellular data. Could be helpful for people that are terrified of going over their data limits as a result of applications performing services in the background

Attachments

• IMG_2627.PNG
    IMG_2627.PNG
    106.6 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2628.PNG
    IMG_2628.PNG
    53 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but the status bar icons are no longer enlarged when on the lock screen. They stay the same size as they are at any other time.

Not sure if it's a feature or bug.

This is false.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Could anyone confirm -

a) are you pestered to turn on Wifi for accuracy every bloody time the GPS is accessed still?

b) I know it's unlikely, but WebM in Safari?

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
This seems new to me...

Every single application installed on the iPhone now has its own menu from Settings and you can tell iOS whether or not it is allowed to use cellular data. Could be helpful for people that are terrified of going over their data limits as a result of applications performing services in the background

This is a very useful feature that my ANDROID phone doesn't have.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
This seems new to me...

Technically all those settings exist now, but you have to go into the different menus for privacy, notifications, background updates, and cellular data. This new method makes a lot more sense IMO.

justblais

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
This seems new to me...

Noticed this earlier today and forgot to post it, these are all things that you could technically do in iOS 7 but they were scattered around various sub-menus. It's nice to just have all the apps there so that there's a quick and easy way to go change things. I imagine this will have a lot to do with how extensions work, and allowing quick access to individual settings for apps.

Simoleon547

macrumors member
May 25, 2014
Mine isn't working. I've been saying 'Hey, Siri!' and looking like a mad man.

You probably figured it out by now or maybe it's just a bug but it only works if it's plugged into power (I think it has to be in sleep mode too). Mine didn't work the first couple of tries but I think I disabled and re-enabled it. Should be nice for driving in the car. I have Ford Sync. Siri does everything it does but better because it's ON the iPhone and designed for the iPhone. But the convenience of pushing a button on the steering wheel made up the difference. Now with "Hey, Siri" it should solve that.
Still, why let me say "Hey Siri" and not have Siri respond so I know she heard me?? That's stupid. Give me a "Hey Siri" greeting option in settings.

----------

This is false.

I've had it displayed both regular and enlarged. So it's a bug

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
From the iOS blog

findmyiphoneupdate.jpg

iOS 8 introduces a new feature to the Find my iPhone and Find my iPad functionality on iOS devices, allowing users to select a "Send Last Location" option that will notify Apple of a device's last known location when the battery drains to a critical level.

Currently, if a device is lost with Find My iPhone on and the battery drains and it cannot be located, iCloud will display the last known location for up to 24 hours, but after that, there is no way for end users to determine the last location of a device.

It appears this new Find My iPhone feature will authorize Apple to store the last known location of an iOS device after 24 hours have passed, potentially allowing customers to contact the company for location information after it is no longer available on iCloud.

The new option can be found in the iCloud section of the Settings app, listed under a new entry for Find My iPhone (or iPad). Tapping on Find My iPhone gives an option to enable the feature and to enable Send Last Location. With iOS 7, Find My iPhone was bundled into the rest of the iCloud settings, with a simple toggle to turn the feature on and off.

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
This seems new to me...

More than just toggling Cellular data, this actually shows all options that you would otherwise have to access by entering other menus within Settings (i.e. toggle Privacy features for Angry Birds by scrolling down to Angry Birds) This is useful if an app has previously requested access to something and you initially denied it but now need to enable it, or vice versa. Previously apps listed would only show you "about" information from the same menu in Settings. Very welcome change :)

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
Is the Tips App a real thing?

For give me if this sounds redundant but is the Tips App I have read about a real app?

I am on beta 1 and I don't see it at all. I searched all my folders, did the pull down search feature and didn't get any results. I see it listed on the new features thing but I don't have it on my iPhone.

I am just inquiring, I hope I haven't flamed anyone or anything.

Mike

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Anyone know if in Calendar locations are searched via Maps like on the Mac? I always find myself entering events on the Mac calendar because of the lookup feature for location via maps.
Yes for your iCloud calendars. Doesn't seem to pull that info on my Exchange accounts though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 183

Emberseason

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Sorry if it has been mentioned, but can you swipe to delete contacts in iOS 8? Anyone check for me please?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.