Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pafoofnik

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2014
Lightroom Alternative

I have been an Adobe fanboy for many years but CC put a big chink in their armor. When they released Lightroom's 5.4 upgrade and gave compatibility with their mobile versions only to the CC version of LR, it broke the poor camel's back.

I had a paid-for version of LR. Some guy in Dubuque had the same version but it was for CC. Both of us upgraded to LR 5.4. He was able to use the mobile apps. I was not. I got an invitation, though, to abandon the copy of LR I paid for in full and join the CC bandwagon.

No. Instead I switched to Capture One Pro 7 by Phase One. It's on sale now, 50% off. It also has a three-month trial. It has mobile apps. There will be an inconvenience with the learning curve for awhile but it shares much functionality with LR.

Adobe, enough is enough.

----------

Last edited:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
I thought some features in Lightroom CC is not available in Lightroom 6?

Though TBH, I prefer Aperture workflow any day over Lightroom. Now I'll have to consider going to LR which has the added benefit of vast 3rd party plugins support or go for ID which has the best RAW converter in the market. Hmmmm

In CC you just get the current Lightroom version, which is Lr5. There is no separate CC version of it (for the time being...)

dorsal

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Maybe they should "triple down"?

Capture.JPG

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I have been an Adobe fanboy for many years but CC put a big chink in their armor. When they released Lightroom's 5.4 upgrade and gave compatibility with their mobile versions only to the CC version of LR, it broke the poor camel's back.

I had a paid-for version of LR. Some guy in Dubuque had the same version but it was for CC. Both of us upgraded to LR 5.4. He was able to use the mobile apps. I was not. I got an invitation, though, to abandon the copy of LR I paid for in full and join the CC bandwagon.

No. Instead I switched to Capture One Pro 7 by Phase One. It's on sale now, 50% off. It also has a three-month trial. It has mobile apps. There will be an inconvenience with the learning curve for awhile but it shares much functionality with LR.

Adobe, enough is enough.

----------

I did not now LR mobile was only compatible with LR CC.

My answer is to stay on LR4 and not buy LR5.

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
Doubling down... not! Your biggest competitor pulls out. No competition means higher pricing and dragging your feet when it comes to innovation.
Not much of a competitor as most pro photographers, Aperture's intended market used LR anyway. 5 years back when Aperture wasn't so far behind LR and many photographers hadn't yet moved from PS to LR, Aperture usage among American Mac using Pros was only 12.5% and LR was 44%.

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
As far a photo organisation goes, Aperture was far far ahead of lightroom and still is. You've got to be madder than a pair of dingo's kidneys not to see that. Simply saying Aperture was far behind doesn't make it so. :rolleyes:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
I did not now LR mobile was only compatible with LR CC.

My answer is to stay on LR4 and not buy LR5.

This is interesting. AFAIK, the mobile sync feature should work on both the retail and CC versions, as they are exactly the same.

But so far the sync has been somewhat unreliable. I had trouble setting it up, and I'm on CC.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Adobe seems pretty happy about this. Apple must be really confident in the new Photos app, or perhaps they just want to expand their general consumer base and rid the pro market.

I consider myself a general Apple user, I've never used Aperture, but I really love iPhoto. I'm pretty excited about the Photos app.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Doubling down... not! Your biggest competitor pulls out. No competition means higher pricing and dragging your feet when it comes to innovation.

Exactamundo. With no competition and people paying subscription fees, there's no need for them to push hard on innovation. Apple's decision is pretty disappointing from that perspective, as we need more competitors to Adobe, not less. They basically have monopoly status at this point.

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
The strength of Aperture was it's asset management, of which Lightroom isn't going to work.

As far a photo organisation goes, Aperture was far far ahead of lightroom and still is. You've got to be madder than a pair of dingo's kidneys not to see that. Simply saying Aperture was far behind doesn't make it so. :rolleyes:

Obviously you haven't learnt how to use LR properly then as it's asset management is far better.
You can organise by file/folder and by metadata. Not just the latter

A major part of the reason Aperture didn't take off was that you simply could not import your already tidily organised folders built up over many years as they were. Whereas you could with LR and then organise by metadata if you wanted to. Early betas of LR experimented with a library similar to Aperture but it was disliked so much it was thankfully replaced by the more powerful/versatile system LR now has.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
The problem is is that those are Raw converters & processors.

That's the LEAST important part of a pro photographers workflow. Photoshop fills the role just fine, and photojournalists don't even shoot raw. Additionally, people don't buy photos because of picture quality. They buy photos because of their relevance.

The strength of Aperture was it's asset management, of which Lightroom isn't going to work.

No, all of them are not just raw converters.

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
Exactamundo. With no competition and people paying subscription fees, there's no need for them to push hard on innovation. Apple's decision is pretty disappointing from that perspective, as we need more competitors to Adobe, not less. They basically have monopoly status at this point.
Apart from DXO and Capture One which are actually serious competitors to LR unlike Aperture. Plus there's Silky Pix, Corel After Shot Pro [was Bibble], Lightzone, DP, NX-D and there are a few others I can picture but not recall the names.

matt.b.powell

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2014
I'm happy to give Lightroom a shot, and I'd even pay $50, $100, or more for it if I enjoyed it, but even at only $10 / month, I don't love the idea of adding yet another "small" fee to my monthly recurring expenses. These things add up. I know saas is the future business model all these companies want, but I'd rather just pony up some $ and have everything working, free of monthly charges.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65215211-Photoshop-Lightroom-5/dp/B00CH6ATMO

There you go, go buy it for 135 and you don't have fees.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Adobe's subscription model kills the deal. I have been buying and using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop since versions 1.0. I don't want to be paying them a monthly or an annual subscription fee. The issue is not the cost but that if I stop paying or they go out of business or they discontinue the product I lose access to my data and can't do my work. With my owning a bought copy I don't lose access to my data and I can always still do my work. Subscriptions are a no-go.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Unless adobe absolutely guarantees me I can use Lightroom forever without a subscription, they can kiss my big yellow butt.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
Yeah great... Pay Adobe ever more for photo editing. Their creative bs cloud will soon cost me more than just buying what I need out right. Damn Adobe. And **** Apple.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Apart from DXO and Capture One which are actually serious competitors to LR unlike Aperture. Plus there's Silky Pix, Corel After Shot Pro [was Bibble], Lightzone, DP, NX-D and there are a few others I can picture but not recall the names.

I was speaking in general terms of competition to Adobe's products (esp. Photoshop and Illustrator), not to Lightroom specifically.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley

Obviously you haven't learnt how to use LR properly then as it's asset management is far better.
You can organise by file/folder and by metadata. Not just the latter

A major part of the reason Aperture didn't take off was that you simply could not import your already tidily organised folders built up over many years as they were. Whereas you could with LR and then organise by metadata if you wanted to. Early betas of LR experimented with a library similar to Aperture but it was disliked so much it was thankfully replaced by the more powerful/versatile system LR now has.

They are referring to the intuitiveness and ease of use. Just because "You can" do something doesn't mean much if actually doing it is painful and counter-intuitive. I thoroughly despise Lightroom's "management". Definitely going to follow up on the tip in the other thread to check out Capture One.

Interesting point about importing and keeping existing folder structures. It probably would have been better if Aperture offered that, but sadly it's not the Apple way to offer choices for non-mainstream uses or do anything to assist one in not doing things the way they think they should be done.

imajez

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2014
I was speaking in general terms of competition to Adobe's products (esp. Photoshop and Illustrator), not to Lightroom specifically.
Well you need to be more precise about the fact you were speaking generally then! :D

Either way, there's lots of alternatives to Adobe's other products.

melsea

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Photostream

As far as I know there is no photostream integration with LR or any Adobe products. I find this frustrating as I use this to sync between devices - is this correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.