Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
I love rr3. I have used about 2000 of iap on it!

This is my favorite car.

Ps I didn't buy the iap. There is a way to get them for free

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    894.5 KB · Views: 147

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Rear Racing 3 is such controversy. It comes from EA, you can get it for free, but enjoy it perfectly without spending a dime.:)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've just gotten into this game, first on my iPhone 5 but the screen is really too small to enjoy it, and now on my iPad mini.

Quick question, am I really racing head to head with others or does RR3 take the statics of other racers and apply them to AI drivers in my race?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I've just gotten into this game, first on my iPhone 5 but the screen is really too small to enjoy it, and now on my iPad mini.

Quick question, am I really racing head to head with others or does RR3 take the statics of other racers and apply them to AI drivers in my race?

NO, you're not really racing head to head with others -- not even close. RR3 assigns the total race time and avatar of someone to a "bot car". I think the race time is then fudged a little to account for the fact that you're always starting in last position.

Otherwise, that bot car races with the currently horrendous artificial intelligence that makes for a demolition derby of a race. So, don't be offended when a "friend" knocks you off the track, or constantly rams you from behind.

There are rumors that the developer is planning to make the AI a little more realistic (it is supposed to be Real Racing, after all, not Grand Theft Auto).

Regards,
Tom
p.s. Have you tried RR2? That DOES have real-time racing against friends over a network. I race my kids on that sometimes on the home wifi -- I let them drive a little Chevy coupe while I drive the McLaren F1. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
p.s. Have you tried RR2? That DOES have real-time racing against friends over a network. I race my kids on that sometimes on the home wifi -- I let them drive a little Chevy coupe while I drive the McLaren F1. :D

I'm actually liking RR2 over RR3. It seems less fremium based and fun to play. RR3 seems designed that you need to buy credits to keep upgrading and I've not really needed to worry about that for RR2.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'm actually liking RR2 over RR3. It seems less fremium based and fun to play. RR3 seems designed that you need to buy credits to keep upgrading and I've not really needed to worry about that for RR2.

I got a lot of fun out of RR2, first on my iPhone, and then again when I got my mini (much better experience). I'd almost forgotten that RR2 even had IAP....

I've put a fair number of hours into RR3, and have yet to pull out my wallet. Even so, the freemium nature permeates the game, and not in a good way.

Regards,
Tom

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Even so, the freemium nature permeates the game, and not in a good way.

That is what I felt, the game is designed for you to buy and keep buying credits. The game is stunning and the game play top notch but its designed to keep you spending $$. I'm not a huge game player so RR2 is more my style since I'll save money and have a more enjoyable experience

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, after reading this review from The Verge ("'Real Racing 3' is ruined by in-app purchases"), I'm in no hurry to download.

I found that it isn't that big of an issue. Buy a couple of the cheap cars with your virtual cash and you can drive one while the other takes the slow (and free) route to repairs. Have been playing since it came out and haven't spent a real dime yet.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Who else is playing it and on what? I currently have it on my mini and love it. I've always been a huge fan of racing games and this one is excellent so far. Performance is great and everything about this game brings me back to the ps2 days and gran Turismo 4. From the music to the way the tracks are, how upgrades are handled, menus. Everything. The graphics are also gran Turismo 4 like. They're great for am iPad. They don't even come close to ps3 but they've certainly caught up with what the best of last gen had to offer. Overall, solid game so far. Performs great on the A5.

Count me in. On the first day I played this game, I was really good. Later, a friend of mine started playing the game and is now a better racer than I am. My first car is the 2010 Ford Focus. A little tip: I don't use my brakes. I also take advantage of the fact that cars slow down at times, like at turns.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I found that it isn't that big of an issue. Buy a couple of the cheap cars with your virtual cash and you can drive one while the other takes the slow (and free) route to repairs. Have been playing since it came out and haven't spent a real dime yet.

Yeah, I got over my initial reluctance pretty quick. I'm at 91% complete. Haven't spent a dime.

moonman239 said:
A little tip: I don't use my brakes.

I wouldn't try that if you have brake assist off! :D

Regards,
Tom

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
sorry to kick the dust off an old post, but this game crashes constantly on my ipad mini. I just downloaded it, i tried reinstalling, clearing backgrounded apps to free up memory, etc etc. Im on 6.1. anyone else having this issue?

Jad Morffier

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Who's still playing?

Hi all,

I'm wondering who's still playing this awesome game? I'm looking for a challenge regarding TSM times. Add me in GameCenter if you are interested: jadmorffier

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
RR3 is pretty much the only game that I play. I'm a car guy so I really enjoy racing without spending a lot of $ to modify/blow up my own car :) It takes awhile to get to the big dollar cars though. And I've found that even if I do have the money to buy some of them, they are still locked. So something can be offered during one of their sales but I still can't buy it.

ZacNicholson: I've looked into being able to get all of the cars for free but don't trust the sites. Don't know how legit they are.

My goal is the Veyron 16.4. I think I'll have some fun with that one! At the rate I'm going, I'll have the money in 3 months but it will probably be locked :(

balcis

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
I'm a fan of this game and it's main reason I'm using my iPad 4 for. And I'm not updating its OS to 7.1.2 because of performance related considerings.

Does it have a performance decrease when updating to iOS 7 from iOS 6?

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
I've been playing RR3 for the past 8 months, on and off. I try to race at least once a day to get the max bonus and to build up the "bank balance".

I'm on the last series of the game. However, I have quite a few series that I'm unable to either enter or to complete because the game requires you to purchase the cars with "R Gold".

Now, I'm able to build up a modest gold balance by levelling up or to progress through series, but we're talking about small amounts of gold, usually 2 or 3 at a pop.

I sat down and worked out how much gold that I'd need to buy all the required cars to finish the game and for me to upgrade some already purchased cars which require gold for upgrades in order to meet min performance criteria or to simply get the car competitive (in my hands).

It came to around $700 (real dollars which purchase things like food, fuel, pay utilities, stuff like that) Now, the game is good, but it ain't THAT good. I don't know if any Xbox or Play Station car racing games require in-app purchases in order to progress through the game. I'd had to think that if they did there would be a revolt amongst the users.

I'd rather pay a reasonable price for the game up front, then to earn further game points which are attainable without having to make any additional purchases. As it is I've spent probably around $60 on gold and some extra "R Dollars". But that's it. If I can no longer progress then I'll simply delete it and move on. EA/Fire Monkeys have gotten some dough out of me.

In future, though, I won't be getting involved in any so called "freemium" games. They either come complete free, as is, or at whatever price they set on the game or application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.