Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lagunab

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Compatibility with rMBP

There seems to be some controversy about compatibility with the rMPB 13" like mine. The Apple specs only show 3440 supported by HDMI and then only 30Hz.
See: Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors
Thunderbolt digital video output
Native Mini DisplayPort output
DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
HDMI video output
Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

So, has anyone actually run full resolution 3440 60Hz on a rMBP 13" or lesser?

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
So, has anyone actually run full resolution 3440 60Hz on a rMBP 13" or lesser?

I made a note about this the other week. Got my 34UM95 about two weeks ago and have been running it flawlessly from my 2013 13" MBA. I tested on both Displayport as well as Thunderbolt.

Both run the full 3440x1440 @ 60Hz (along with the screen on the Air itself).

phoneorpda

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2005
All around the world.
returned two

Hello all,

i just wanted to let anybody interested know that i had to return my second unit , also because of bad light bleeding.
The first one was purchased from B&H photo about two weeks ago (and returned the day after).
The second one arrived today from Amazon and it's back in the box already.

I will have to "settle" for the old Thunderbolt Display.

ZgB3g4h.jpg

8Xk1I7u.jpg

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I decided to take gaming off the plate of my 2010 Mac Pro, so I bought this display since it can act as a sort of KVM switch with peripherals and 2 computers. I have connected the old MP to the display via Displayport and USB. My keyboard, mouse, and speakers are all attached to the display.

I built a new gaming machine with an ASUS Z97 motherboard, and I purchased an ASUS ThunderboltEX II PCI card. I'm using a pair of AMD videocards in CrossfireX mode, with miniDisplayport out to the Displayport in on the TB card (external). I had to manually set the PCI slot that the TB card is installed to 4x mode in BIOS, but otherwise everything was plug and play. I can now toggle between the game machine and MP using the joystick underneath the LG display. It's a pretty slick setup.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Hello all,

i just wanted to let anybody interested know that i had to return my second unit , also because of bad light bleeding.
The first one was purchased from B&H photo about two weeks ago (and returned the day after).
The second one arrived today from Amazon and it's back in the box already.

I will have to "settle" for the old Thunderbolt Display.

Unclip the bezel slightly, it's a manufacturing fault where the bezel is pushing on the display.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
hey Matt.

thanks for the suggestion.

How would i do that? do i need a specific tool?

Just something like a trim tool, so it doesn't damage the plastic.

Not sure if there's been developments since this, but here's a link to a post - http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041008994&postcount=2557

Reactions: H2SO4

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
I purchased this monitor and it is truly STUNNING. I am only having one issue that hopefully someone here can help me fix. I want to use the DisplayPort but the monitor will not sleep. It flashes that it is about to enter power saving mode, goes down and comes right back after 10 secs. Via HDMI and thunderbolt, it sleeps normally but not through DisplayPort. It is connected to a nMP if that helps. Thanks in advance ;)

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
I purchased this monitor and it is truly STUNNING. I am only having one issue that hopefully someone here can help me fix. I want to use the DisplayPort but the monitor will not sleep. It flashes that it is about to enter power saving mode, goes down and comes right back after 10 secs. Via HDMI and thunderbolt, it sleeps normally but not through DisplayPort. It is connected to a nMP if that helps. Thanks in advance ;)

Do you have DP 1.2 enabled on the monitor itself, under Settings? I don't know if this will help but it might be good to check and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Biiktor

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Just got the LG 34UM95 and need a little help

Got this monitor instead of Apple's Tbolt display. The box says it was MacPro compatible cause it had thunderbolt input. I have the new MacPro 3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache. When I connect thru thunderbolt the screen is just blank. I also tried via HDMI and also same blank screen. A non-apple wireless mouse was connected ok and all I see is the arrow on the screen. The MacPro is running cause I could hear it asking for Language preference. I had helped online from Apple and was able to do a Single User Mode boot using Command-S. I could see the white box of options but suddenly the Apple wireless keyboard wont work. They sent me to the Genius Bar and they connected my MacPro to the Apple Thunderbolt monitor via thunderbolt and worked fine. They told me I might need a new firmware for the LG monitor. Not sure if that's the only way I can run the monitor.

Can someone suggest another option. I dont have to use the Thunderbolt cable if there's a better way. I know the monitor works cause like I said I see the mouse arrow and I can also change setting using the joystick at the bottom.

I appreciate your time.

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
Got this monitor instead of Apple's Tbolt display. The box says it was MacPro compatible cause it had thunderbolt input. I have the new MacPro 3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache. When I connect thru thunderbolt the screen is just blank. I also tried via HDMI and also same blank screen. A non-apple wireless mouse was connected ok and all I see is the arrow on the screen. The MacPro is running cause I could hear it asking for Language preference. I had helped online from Apple and was able to do a Single User Mode boot using Command-S. I could see the white box of options but suddenly the Apple wireless keyboard wont work. They sent me to the Genius Bar and they connected my MacPro to the Apple Thunderbolt monitor via thunderbolt and worked fine. They told me I might need a new firmware for the LG monitor. Not sure if that's the only way I can run the monitor. Can someone suggest another option. I dont have to use the Thunderbolt cable if there's a better way. I know the monitor works cause like I said I see the mouse arrow and I can also change setting using the joystick at the bottom. I appreciate your time.

Well, it's definitely compatible. There are a lot of people who have this monitor working with their Mac Pro. Have you confirmed the monitor works at all, with any other computers? Maybe it an issue with the monitor itself and not a compatibility issue at all. You can use a displayport-to-miniDP cable if you can get your hands on one. Best of luck.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I've had this experience with my 2010 MP and the same display over Displayport. I'm not sure if it's a monitor bug, a driver issue, or what. I sometimes have to power cycle the MP, or cycle in and out of sleep mode. Otherwise I just see a black screen with the mouse cursor.

Oddly, my home built PC is using SLI Nvidia 980s passed to the display via Thunderbolt and its rock solid with no issues. It's using Win 8.1 with the latest beta NV drivers.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
I also have this display with a base model nMP.

Did you make sure to turn it on? There is a tiny pushbutton on the bottom edge in the center. Not visible from the front. It's actually a joy-stick push button. Granted, the docs are not the best.

In any case, I plugged it into the nMP Thunderbolt port (make sure you use a Thunderbolt cable and not an mDP cable) and used it as a secondary display until I got things configured.

Just verified that it is working properly; haven't had much time to perform much testing.

Biiktor

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
I also have this display with a base model nMP.

Did you make sure to turn it on? There is a tiny pushbutton on the bottom edge in the center. Not visible from the front. It's actually a joy-stick push button. Granted, the docs are not the best.

In any case, I plugged it into the nMP Thunderbolt port (make sure you use a Thunderbolt cable and not an mDP cable) and used it as a secondary display until I got things configured.

Just verified that it is working properly; haven't had much time to perform much testing.

Monitor is on. Like I said, you can see mouse arrow and change monitor settings with the joystick but the apple logo doesn't boot up on the screen.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
Do you have DP 1.2 enabled on the monitor itself, under Settings? I don't know if this will help but it might be good to check and see if it makes a difference. Thanks.

Yes, I do have it enabled. I am using the thunderbolt without any issues but the DP continues to not shut down for some reason :confused:

tengorazon

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2012
Thanks to this thread (and additional reviews I read afterward), I purchased a refurbished 34UM95 from Amazon for $899 to go with my refurbished 2013 rMPB that I purchased this week (lol go refurbished!). At first I was worried about the monitor being too big, but it's actually a very nice size even for a casual user. I love having the ability to keep multiple windows open. I've basically divided my screen into three spaces: e-mail on left, larger browser/document window in the middle, space on right for anything else. Fantastic setup and no issues whatsoever thus far running it from my rMBP. I'm using thunderbolt (accessories are hooked up to the monitor's usb inputs), and the monitor goes to sleep and I have yet to hear the fan come on. I also don't see any light bleed issues. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the 34UM95 as a Thunderbolt Display alternative.

captainwing

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
Query

Looking to purchase the LG as a new monitor. Question about linking it up though. Would I be able to link in a MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt and also simultaneously use a thunderbolt external drive from either device? Keen to hear from owners.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
In simple terms, yes.

With older Macbook Pro with single Thunderbolt port, you would daisy-chain the drive and monitor. But since it is Thunderbolt 1, you won't get full resolution.

With Macbook Pro retina, you can daisy-chain, or use separate Thunderbolt2 ports for each, and get full resolution in either case.

For Macbook Pro with no Thunderbolt, monitor and Thunderbolt drive would be unusable.

ngerasimatos

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Thanks to this thread (and additional reviews I read afterward), I purchased a refurbished 34UM95 from Amazon for $899 to go with my refurbished 2013 rMPB that I purchased this week (lol go refurbished!). At first I was worried about the monitor being too big, but it's actually a very nice size even for a casual user. I love having the ability to keep multiple windows open. I've basically divided my screen into three spaces: e-mail on left, larger browser/document window in the middle, space on right for anything else. Fantastic setup and no issues whatsoever thus far running it from my rMBP. I'm using thunderbolt (accessories are hooked up to the monitor's usb inputs), and the monitor goes to sleep and I have yet to hear the fan come on. I also don't see any light bleed issues. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the 34UM95 as a Thunderbolt Display alternative.

So you only need a single Thunderbolt cable from your MBPr to the monitor,for both video and then attach your USB devices to the monitor. Right? Just like a Thunderbolt display?

I have 2x27" Thunderbolt displays and am considering moving to a this instead. Split screen make it hard for me to get work accomplished as I need to keep my head on a swivel which gets tiring.

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
So you only need a single Thunderbolt cable from your MBPr to the monitor,for both video and then attach your USB devices to the monitor. Right? Just like a Thunderbolt display?

I have 2x27" Thunderbolt displays and am considering moving to a this instead. Split screen make it hard for me to get work accomplished as I need to keep my head on a swivel which gets tiring.

Correct - the one single TB cable delivers the video and powers the USB hub. No need for the USB uplink cable from the MacBook to the monitor. Works great. :apple:

larrysing1963

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2014
Anyone shopping for the LG 34UM95 monitor, it's $825 today on Amazon - lowest price I have seen. I own one, they are great. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.