Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackss

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get it for my MBPr 13 2014, but I'm afraid of the resolution issue. I've read on other forums how some people get the fonts look blurry because the retina sees the monitor as a TV.
I'm also looking to buy the M65 version which is the same but has no thunderbolt.

Any update on this one? Can someone share his opinion for MBPr 13 2014?

Thanks!

Last edited:

spentan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get it for my MBPr 13 2014, but I'm afraid of the resolution issue. I've read on other forums how some people get the fonts look blurry because the retina sees the monitor as a TV.
I'm also looking to buy the M65 version which is the same but has no thunderbolt.

Thanks!

I am currently using this monitor with a 2012 rMBP over Thunderbolt. I had to override the EDID Settings in order to get it to think it's not a TV, but now it is perfect at 3440x1440p60

I got it from Frys a week ago, and it is great, but I think I will return it as I am seeing a lot of backlight bleeding. The other issue I am finding with it, is that I cannot increase the size of some videos on websites, similar to youtube. I wanna return it for two 24s or two 27s which will allow me to full screen on one.

Now to 4K or not to 4K?

jblongz

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
NYC
I wanna return it for two 24s or two 27s which will allow me to full screen on one.

Hmmm...I want to get away from two 24s, so its a bit discouraging that the monitor did not satisfy you. You have the same video size issues with direct HDMI?

bluesnoop85

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
On Earth!
Hey guys,

Thanks!

I asked the same question, in this topic.

djsmith83

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Hi all,

I want to run this monitor with the new 12" Macbook - it should be possible over displayport, but at the moment it is hard to get a USB C adaptor that also supports charging and USB A to hook up the the USB hub so my question is this:

Will I be able to run the full 3440 x 1440 resolution over HDMI using Apple's USB C AV adaptor? I've read that it may run but at lower frequency which, providing I don't play games etc, will that be ok? I just want full resolution and pretty good performance for everyday use as planning on also having my 13" MBPr that I use for work running off the thunderbolt ports.

Thanks!

jwpoof

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
I just want to weigh in about my experience with this monitor. I purchased it in September 2014 for use with a 2013 nmp. Other than the well-documented issues with sleep mode and getting it to recognize signal on some power-ups, it served me well in a professional full-time capacity until this past week.

I am now getting flicker, random dropouts to black, and visual "glitches" on-screen. I have swapped out the thunderbolt cable with a brand new one but the problems persist.

I contacted LG but it's out of warranty. Hilariously, the support person told me they have many complaints about flickering with macs. His advice included both switching to HDMI (30 hz, useless for my purposes) or using it with a PC. I currently have no plans to switch my entire business over to PC in order to make an LG monitor that was advertised for use with the new mac pro work properly.

I have found all of these problems disappear if I switch to 30z mode while still connected via Thunderbolt.

Obviously my problems don't mean that these monitors are necessarily bad, but I'm pretty disappointed that an $1100 (at the time) monitor has broken down 16 months into its life. I have owned many IPS monitors prior to this, and this is the first time I have ever had problems with one less than 5 years into its lifespan.

frankdogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2011
253, WA
I just want to weigh in about my experience with this monitor. I purchased it in September 2014 for use with a 2013 nmp. Other than the well-documented issues with sleep mode and getting it to recognize signal on some power-ups, it served me well in a professional full-time capacity until this past week.

I am now getting flicker, random dropouts to black, and visual "glitches" on-screen. I have swapped out the thunderbolt cable with a brand new one but the problems persist.

I contacted LG but it's out of warranty. Hilariously, the support person told me they have many complaints about flickering with macs. His advice included both switching to HDMI (30 hz, useless for my purposes) or using it with a PC. I currently have no plans to switch my entire business over to PC in order to make an LG monitor that was advertised for use with the new mac pro work properly.

I have found all of these problems disappear if I switch to 30z mode while still connected via Thunderbolt.

Obviously my problems don't mean that these monitors are necessarily bad, but I'm pretty disappointed that an $1100 (at the time) monitor has broken down 16 months into its life. I have owned many IPS monitors prior to this, and this is the first time I have ever had problems with one less than 5 years into its lifespan.

Out of curiosity, have you tried using the DisplayPort as an alternative to using thunderbolt? I wonder if that could fix the issue?

I'm thinking of getting this monitor but wonder if I should just go the DisplayPort route instead of the thunderbolt version

jwpoof

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Out of curiosity, have you tried using the DisplayPort as an alternative to using thunderbolt? I wonder if that could fix the issue?

I'm thinking of getting this monitor but wonder if I should just go the DisplayPort route instead of the thunderbolt version

I haven't yet, but I will when I have time. The reason I haven't yet is that I got really busy with work, and the problems have greatly diminished in the past few days. Today they didn't occur at all. I have no idea why, as nothing changed on my end.

They seem to come and go and when I originally posted, the issues were so bad that I couldn't use the monitor. So I will post back when I have time.

Reactions: frankdogg

jwpoof

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
I'm updating this, because these problems suddenly went away for weeks and I couldn't figure out why. Now I believe I've figured out at least one cause of my situation. If you plug a USB thumb drive in the back of this monitor, it causes flickering. Remove the drive and the flickering remains. Shut it down, unplug the monitor, and then restart and it seems to solve the problem.

I have a little USB dongle plugged in back there for wireless keyboard usage. That may also be somewhat temperamental. So if you are having flickering with this monitor, I advise not using any of the ports to see if that solves it.

ValiumEater

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
I've had this monitor for a few months and I love it, and I came from a 5K iMac. This so much more functional for what I do, and a lot of games I play take advantage of the extra pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.