Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
This was posted on the Mac Pro section, but I thought I'd share it in here.

Check out this display. LG 34UM95 Ultrawide Thunderbolt display. 3440x1440.

http://pcmonitors.info/lg/lg-34um95-219-but-bigger

Looks amazing. Benefits of an ultra wide 21:9 aspect ratio but not pixel height challenged like the current crop of 2560x1080 displays. And it looks to run off Thunderbolt like Apple's display (with a TB daisy chain port, too) though pictures also seem to show a full-size DisplayPort connector and an HDMI connector.

I would love this at work where I most often have multiple windows open. My Thunderbolt display is nice, but this would add, what, 50% more space on to the edges... nice.

Edit: and it has a matte display finish. Not glossy glass like Apple's.

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Does one need a Mac Pro to run this monitor at a reasonable refresh rate? Will the iMac 2013 drive this monitor in a usable way?

I am very interested in the monitor, but the problem with most higher resolution monitors seems to be that they only run at 30hz refresh. I didn't see anything mentioned about this with respect to this monitor.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Does one need a Mac Pro to run this monitor at a reasonable refresh rate? Will the iMac 2013 drive this monitor in a usable way?

I am very interested in the monitor, but the problem with most higher resolution monitors seems to be that they only run at 30hz refresh. I didn't see anything mentioned about this with respect to this monitor.

This should run on (almost) anything - it doesn't require two DisplayPort channels like a 4K monitor does.

thomasfalke

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2013
I currently have two 23" Cinema displays. Will this monitor give me the same real estate, or more, or less?

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
I currently have two 23" Cinema displays. Will this monitor give me the same real estate, or more, or less?

Your monitors are 1920x1200 each, for a total of 3840x1200 (4,608,000 total).

This particular LG ultrawide display is 3440x1440 (4,953,600 total).

So, very nearly the same (as long as your machine will support a single display of that size) but with no seam down the middle. The LG will have more total pixels; slightly taller by 220 pixels but 400 pixels narrower.

sjh

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
Lg 34um95

Anyone tried this monitor with an MBP 17" Early 2011 ???

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I'm so tempted by this. But not hearing great things about quality control and panel quality. If it had all USB3 and a Gigabit Ethernet I'd have probably ordered one.

I'm hoping Apple will adopt this ratio for the next TBD, seems perfect for a large desk.

BCrutchfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
Have had this panel for about 2 weeks now, using it as a 2nd screen for my late 2013 iMac.

It works great, the colors match the iMac's screen pretty much dead on. No issues with the panel, backlight bleed, etc.

Really fantastic monitor, especially for the Audio work I find myself doing on it.

It runs at 3440x1440 60Hz over Thunderbolt with my iMac and late 2013 Macbook Pro as well.

AlexVc

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014
I managed to run this display at full res at 60Hz at MacBook White Core2Duo :) via mini-Display port to Display port cabe. I would expect that any machine more capable than MacBook White should be able to do that.

jcarey79

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
Where to Buy

Does anyone have experience with Adorama as an electronics supplier? I am considering buying the LG 34UM95 from them?

Or with Crossroads Electronics?

thanks,

MinkyMomo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
California, USA
Does anyone have experience with Adorama as an electronics supplier? I am considering buying the LG 34UM95 from them?

Or with Crossroads Electronics?

thanks,

I've bought expensive cameras and lenses from Adorama for many years now and have always been satisfied. I bought my 2012 Mac mini from their just-as-well-regarded competition BH Photo&Video only because it came bundled with AppleCare (and Parallels)... I would not have any qualms about buying from either.

FYI, there is an upcoming variant of this monitor from LG's professional products division. I understand it will come in black instead of silver and will have a longer, 3-year warranty. Search the interwebs for model "34UM94-P", and check out massdrop dot com about a potential group buy for folks in the US.

Last edited:

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
I've bought expensive cameras and lenses from Adorama for many years now and have always been satisfied. I bought my 2012 Mac mini from their just-as-well-regarded competition BH Photo&Video only because it came bundled with AppleCare (and Parallels)... I would not have any qualms about buying from either.

FYI, there is an upcoming variant of this monitor from LG's professional products division. I understand it will come in black instead of silver and will have a longer, 3-year warranty. Search the interwebs for model "34UM94-P", and check out massdrop dot com about a potential group buy for folks in the US.

The P is the UK variant? It's the only one available in the UK.

jcarey79

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014

I see a number of sites that list it but no one has it in stock. Are there any technical differences between the 34UM94-P and the 34UM95? Or do we know yet? It appears to be cheaper than the consumer version and has an extra year of warranty but are there other differences?

MinkyMomo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
California, USA
34UM94-P specs

With apologies to Will of Massdrop... I have not independently confirmed any of this for myself-- just regurgitating here...

Attachments

• R6FTNP_20140710_173941_0VR5X.png
    R6FTNP_20140710_173941_0VR5X.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,099

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Can I fully utilize this awesome display at the maximum resolution and 60hz with my 5,1 Mac Pro and the GeForce GTX 680 4096MB?

The GTX 680 has dual DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI interfaces. Would the best solution be to use the a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort interface to this display? Or, get a DVI-to-DisplayPort cable?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Can I fully utilize this awesome display at the maximum resolution and 60hz with my 5,1 Mac Pro and the GeForce GTX 680 4096MB?

The GTX 680 has dual DVI, DisplayPort, and HDMI interfaces. Would the best solution be to use the a DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort interface to this display? Or, get a DVI-to-DisplayPort cable?

I'm not sure what you mean by fully utilize. I'm driving it with a 2GB 680 fine via displayport. I'm having sleep issues though. When everything wakes from sleep, the display remains black but I can see my mouse cursor moving around. The only way I can get things back is to press the MP power button a time or two and hold it for a second or a bit less. That seems to wake it right up.

It's odd too, since I can see the mouse moving on a black screen. Obviously the display and the Mac are both awake. This is with the latest NV web drivers and an EVGA card that I believe is the same as the official card, and flashed with the EVGA BIOS.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I'm not sure what you mean by fully utilize. I'm driving it with a 2GB 680 fine via displayport. I'm having sleep issues though. When everything wakes from sleep, the display remains black but I can see my mouse cursor moving around. The only way I can get things back is to press the MP power button a time or two and hold it for a second or a bit less. That seems to wake it right up.

It's odd too, since I can see the mouse moving on a black screen. Obviously the display and the Mac are both awake. This is with the latest NV web drivers and an EVGA card that I believe is the same as the official card, and flashed with the EVGA BIOS.

Wow ... that is really strange!

As you say, it is clear that both the display and computer are up and running, but no video???

Thanks for the info...

williamh

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Have had this panel for about 2 weeks now, using it as a 2nd screen for my late 2013 iMac.

It works great, the colors match the iMac's screen pretty much dead on. No issues with the panel, backlight bleed, etc.

Really fantastic monitor, especially for the Audio work I find myself doing on it.

It runs at 3440x1440 60Hz over Thunderbolt with my iMac and late 2013 Macbook Pro as well.

Could u show some pictures of this monitor with DAW on please? I'm a composer and thinking of buying this monitor too, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.