Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I've had the iPhone 5s for nearly a year now. I still miss the 3.5 inch form factor, after nearly a year of use. In short have no intention of use in 5.5 inch phone ever.

Tourgott

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Stuttgart
I still hope there will be a new 4" iphone in the future - no matter how Apple will call it. I hate those huge smartphones.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Oh don't worry about that.

Even if you can't handle it comfortably with one hand, thats fine --you should still consider using it.

There are more important benefits you get from the bigger screen. Reading text is more "comfortable" on an ocular level for example.

You have pointed out that most people don't carry their iPad everywhere they go. That is true for me.
The reason I don't is because it is too big to easily carry around if not absolutely needed.
The 5.5 inch phone for me would be the worst of all worlds, it would not be as good for reading or playing games as the iPad, but would still be uncomfortable to carry. And unlike the iPad I couldn't choose to leave it at home, because it's my phone.

akhilleus

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2014
I feel like this is a silly battle on both ends. I'm sure there's a portion who are just turned off by the number. Who knows, maybe the size trend will continue to go upward and we'll all just get used to it. Then the other portion is saying that you HAVE to try it and give it a chance. Well, some people know what they like and need and want, and maybe a 5.5" just isn't it. Do what makes yall happy.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
For all the people who see larger screen phones out there and think, "yuck, thats just way too big!"

or

"3.5/4 is good enough for me and my hands."

Why not just give it a try one time?

Give it a whirl one year and see what happens...

I don't mean like a time you tried your friends device and it felt weird; I mean like actually OWNING one for a sustained period of time.

You can always return it and get the 4.7, but give yourself a chance to get acclimated with it, even if you thought you would be bothered by this or that. Have an open approach to it and you may find some benefits that you love!

Or you might change the way you use it and what you use it for and when. What about those little cases too--that make it like a small mini iPad or planner. You know, its OK that your hands are small because your hands don't have to "swallow" the whole phone; you can just hold it and use it in various sizes and positions.

What about just finally watching a few Youtube videos or Netflix episodes and enjoying the graphics or eye candy. Maybe download some nice new games even though you don't play them much, just to see the new screen and the new OS in its biggest, boldest form yet.

I know I for one am excited!! You never know for sure until you try one!

Give it a chance!!! :)

I'm curious...why do you care what phone folks buy?:confused:

Last edited:

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Before anyone can decide whether or not they are going to try it we will need to see the actual announcement for it so we know in fact that a 5.5" iPhone 6 is in fact going to come out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You seemed worked up about the fact some people don't want one. Why is other people's purchase decisions important to you?

One size does not fit all, and if a larger phone does not rate highly to some people, not amount of giving it a chance will alter that.

Get what you need and don't worry about my buying decisions :)

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
The one I get depends on whether it fits in my pocket, and whether I can then sit down without breaking my femur.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Well if you feel that strongly about it, I'll definitely try one if you buy it for me. I see your point, but some people do value portability over screen size (eg. use at the gym, etc).

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why does this matter? I'm fine with my 3.5" screen on my 4S. If there even is a 5.5" model it'll be more expensive then the 4.7". Why pay more for something that's too big for me (even if I just THINK that without trying it) if I'm not really interested in it in the first place?

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Don't worry, Apple will put some must-have feature exclusive to the larger phone, so everybody will have to have that one. You'll all be getting it, rest assured.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Why though?

How can you be so sure?

You've never had one before. A large iPhone hasn't even existed yet--how can you possibly know with such certainty you wouldn't fall in love with it and the gorgeous eye candy it will no doubt present us with?

Don't you feel the least bit curious of what it would be like to own one??

I'm buying a 4.7" one on launch day with my upgrade on my iPad's line.

If the 5.5" ends up happening (I think it will), I may try to finagle my way into one at the beginning of next year with my phone upgrade - just for the heck of it. If I end up being able to handle it, I may replace my 5S that I use for work.

I don't think I'll like it. I've picked up a Note more times than I can count because the idea doe intrigue me.....but its just so damn big....and I have an iPad mini I carry in my bag that satisfies my need for a larger display device and doesn't require me to make calls on it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I think we're being Punk'd.... Nobody cares that much about what a bunch of strangers on a web forum choose to use.;)

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Same here! I can't stand phones that big. It's like holding a soft cover book to my ear. VERY irritating. 4.7 inch is perfect.

Well you hold the iPhone 5 to your ear. Thats something about the size of a Taco or a remote. Would you hold the size of that to your ear?

See its just arbitrary that that is something "bad" that its that size.

Yeah its that size. Thats how big the phone is gonna be. And you pick it up, you look at it, you use it. It happens like that.

I dont understand why that is a source of irritation? Conceptually its the same thing.

The thing is about half an INCH wider.

So you would feel comfortable holding something the size of a taco to your ear, but not a small hardcover book?

When did you make these rules?

What about when we used phones like this....

red_phone.jpeg

I just don't get how that half inch difference is enough for you to lose all the screen real estate.

I did. About a month ago for a week with the LG G3.

Outstanding phone, but I couldn't handle it comfortably with one hand. And it's a lot smaller than the 5.5" iPhone could possibly be.

So thanks but I'll be getting the 4.7" iPhone :)

Ok so its an outstanding phone.

Yet those benefits are not worth it to you because you had to stretch a finger once in a while?

So you liked the benefits... but because of that little extra movement you're not used to you said forget the whole thing..

Ever consider that after while you get used to the new size and you don't notice the "uncomfortableness?"

I mean you can just angle your hand different to get that extra half inch of stretch from your thumb...

I don't need to own something for a year to know I don't like it.

I have a phone, and I have a tablet. I don't need nor want anything in between.

Its not in between. Its still just the phone.

With more screen real-estate and augmented for modern usage habits.

This whole thread is silly.

Why not trade in your VW Bug and get a big ole Ford Truck? Come on. Try it for a year, you just might like it.

Silly thread. Really.

Sounds good. There are many benefits to the truck like a larger bed that you can carry things in and more overall space that comes in handy for your daily tasks.

Sure its a little larger but I can still use it on the roads and park it in parking spaces just as easily once i get used to the size.

(Id prefer a Chevy tho)

I just said I already tried a really good 5.5" phone and didn't like it, and you're saying that I should try another 5.5" phone?

Pretty sure I know what I like in a phone.

And I have no problems reading on a 4" display. I think I'll be able to read just fine on a 4.7" display.

Fair enough on this!

Hey, you tried it, you didn't like it. I can't disagree there.

Sure the Apple product will be slightly sleeker than what you tested with, but you can still generally tell if its for you.

I've had the iPhone 5s for nearly a year now. I still miss the 3.5 inch form factor, after nearly a year of use. In short have no intention of use in 5.5 inch phone ever.

No way dude, are you just going for shock value now? We use our devices for a lot more now than we did five years ago with social networking, media, and productivity.

Its definitely a rare stance. Maybe you don't even use it for anything but calls and texting or email or something i don't know.

I still hope there will be a new 4" iphone in the future - no matter how Apple will call it. I hate those huge smartphones.

Its like the story of the guy who carried a baby calf on its back every day and over the years as it grew, he got stronger and stronger and the Ox became full grown.

Same with phones, we get used to it being bigger over time because it benefits us.

You have pointed out that most people don't carry their iPad everywhere they go. That is true for me.
The reason I don't is because it is too big to easily carry around if not absolutely needed.
The 5.5 inch phone for me would be the worst of all worlds, it would not be as good for reading or playing games as the iPad, but would still be uncomfortable to carry. And unlike the iPad I couldn't choose to leave it at home, because it's my phone.

But its not much bigger. Only a quarter inch all around. It doesn't change its category.

I feel like this is a silly battle on both ends. I'm sure there's a portion who are just turned off by the number. Who knows, maybe the size trend will continue to go upward and we'll all just get used to it. Then the other portion is saying that you HAVE to try it and give it a chance. Well, some people know what they like and need and want, and maybe a 5.5" just isn't it. Do what makes yall happy.

I totally agree. Some of us are just shocked by the number itself.

Most of us never had a jumbo device and none of us ever saw the Apple version.

Yet countless people have already made up their minds firmly --as exemplified in this thread.

The one I get depends on whether it fits in my pocket, and whether I can then sit down without breaking my femur.

Well it is much thinner than any wallet. People carry that in their pocket too. (And you know darn well its not gonna "break your femur" lol.)

Even if it feels bigger in your pocket --Thats only because it IS bigger. Its a bigger screen. So thats how that feels now. I don't understand the problem where peoples' dislike of change causes them to render this fact of reality in a negative light as opposed to just accepting it and existing with the new change.

I wouldn't consider it a problem. Its still just as flat and can slide in and out of pockets.

You seemed worked up about the fact some people don't want one. Why is other people's purchase decisions important to you?

One size does not fit all, and if a larger phone does not rate highly to some people, not amount of giving it a chance will alter that.

Get what you need and don't worry about my buying decisions :)

Not worked up at all :)

Just exploring the "why" people make the choices they do and sharing those ideas and the reasoning behind those decisions with others.

Last edited:

pogoyoyo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Toronto, Canada
For all the people who see larger screen phones out there and think, "yuck, thats just way too big!"

or

"3.5/4 is good enough for me and my hands."

Why not just give it a try one time?

I don't mean like a time you tried your friends device and it felt weird; I mean like actually OWNING one for a sustained period of time.

You can always return it and get the 4.7, but give yourself a chance to get acclimated with it, even if you thought you would be bothered by this or that. Have an open approach to it and you may find some benefits that you love!

Or you might change the way you use it and what you use it for and when. What about those little cases too--that make it like a small mini iPad or planner. You know, its OK that your hands are small because your hands don't have to "swallow" the whole phone; you can just hold it and use it in various sizes and positions.

What about just finally watching a few Youtube videos or Netflix episodes and enjoying the graphics or eye candy. Maybe download some nice new games even though you don't play them much, just to see the new screen and the new OS in its biggest, boldest form yet.

What do you care what phone people get? You talk like you work for Apple

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
What about when we used phones like this....

I didn't mind using phones that size back in the day... but I sure as heck didn't put em in my pocket and carry them around all day with me.

Many other posters here (myself included) have asked why its important to you that people give it a try but you wont seem to answer. Would you kindly let us know why? It's really important to us. Why not just give it a try one time and tell us why? Give it a whirl and see what happens. give it a chance! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.