Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Beautiful... yes. But horribly outdated.

How many years are they going to sell the same cars? They need a revamp soon. There's no reason to buy one anymore, when I can get a Jag F-Type/Porsche 911, etc that provides similar performance and comes with a prestigious nameplate also.

Not to mention one of the worst cars on the road in terms of tech for the price. If I wanted a Volvo nav screen, I would have bought a Volvo.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Not to mention one of the worst cars on the road in terms of tech for the price. If I wanted a Volvo nav screen, I would have bought a Volvo.
Yup, even Volvo doesn't use that old piece of crap NAV anymore.

There have been rumors that Mercedes is looking at a takeover of Aston for the last few years. Hopefully it happens. They have the money (and technology) to make Aston relevant again. Just look at what Audi did with Lamborghini!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yup, even Volvo doesn't use that old piece of crap NAV anymore.

There have been rumors that Mercedes is looking at a takeover of Aston for the last few years. Hopefully it happens. They have the money (and technology) to make Aston relevant again. Just look at what Audi did with Lamborghini!

It would certainly help them compete with Volkswagen (Lamborghini, Bugatti) and Fiat (Ferrari).

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
I had no idea Fiat was with Ferrari.

Speaking of, I came across another Abarth tonight on my way home. I do love its exhaust burble.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I had no idea Fiat was with Ferrari.

Speaking of, I came across another Abarth tonight on my way home. I do love its exhaust burble.

Fiat owned 50% of the company for the better part of a half-century, but increased its ownership of Ferrari to 85% in 2008.

Want to see a brand that has benefitted a ton from Fiat ownership? Look no further than the interior of the Jeep Cherokee.
frame-1.jpg

That is truly beautiful for an entry level crossover.

Fiat needs to get moving as far as I'm concerned.

1) Dump the Chrysler brand. It's hot garbage.
2) Figure out a luxury car marque in the US. Chrysler isn't it.
3) Get the Alfa Romeo 4C the heck over here, followed by more models. The Lombardy auto manufacturer makes affordable Ferraris.
Thumbnail.jpg

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Fiat owned 50% of the company for the better part of a half-century, but increased its ownership of Ferrari to 85% in 2008.

Want to see a brand that has benefitted a ton from Fiat ownership? Look no further than the interior of the Jeep Cherokee.
I agree with this. The new Fiat-inspired interiors are pretty damn good.

That is truly beautiful for an entry level crossover.
Too bad the exterior is dreadful though... and the car seems to be plagued with quality issues (pertaining to the new ZF 9AT transmission)

Fiat needs to get moving as far as I'm concerned.
1) Dump the Chrysler brand. It's hot garbage.
Hmm... They need to revamp the Chrysler brand. I think Dodge needs to be dumped. They haven't had quality product under the Dodge nameplate in a long long time... The new 200C seems like a good start to Chrysler.

2) Figure out a luxury car marque in the US. Chrysler isn't it.
I think Alfa is going to become that? or Maserati?

3) Get the Alfa Romeo 4C the heck over here, followed by more models. The Lombardy auto manufacturer makes affordable Ferraris.
Sergio seems to have pissed off all the Fiat dealers in the US, who were promised the 4C and Alfas, in general. It looks like the 4C will be sold at Ferrari dealers, and not all of them. I recently looked at the dealer list... There are no dealers in the Northeast (MA/RI/NH/ME, etc).

While the 4C is a gorgeous car (I saw it at the New York Auto Show), it isn't enough for Alfa. They need a full lineup and it needs to happen ASAP.

If they keep delaying the Alfa introduction (like they have been for years now...), they need to sell the brand to someone who is willing to devote the time and resources to the brand. VAG has been wanting Alfa for a long time now and I think that they would be the perfect owners. I honestly don't think Fiat could do it themselves. They've completely botched pushing Maserati going downmarket.

As an Audi/BMW owner, I'm the target market for Ghibli, but it is complete junk. Cheap Chrysler switchgear, thin leather, questionable build quality... And it isn't selling at all. I've seen dealers advertise almost $20k off MSRP for Ghiblis all over the East Coast. Even the new Hyundai Genesis feels higher quality than the $80k Ghibli.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Thought this was interesting... After 12 years, they're finally coming out with a new XC90...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/26/2015-volvo-xc90-revealed-official/

2015-volvo-xc90-16-1.jpg

2015-volvo-xc90-int.jpg

It's been months since the Concept XC Coupe debuted at the Detroit Auto Show, Volvo's last show car previewing its all-new 2015 XC90. But the production model is finally here after years of development, and it signals the future of the Swedish automaker with its Scalable Product Architecture modular platform and cutting-edge new engine family.

The 2015 XC90 carries all-new styling, but is still familiar up front, with the company's logo slashing diagonally through its prominent, upright grille. Like the concept, it carries T-Shaped LED running lights through the headlights. The company calls them the "Thor's Hammer" design, an evocative designation that we think is fantastic. Under that new front end is a choice of two quite powerful, but very efficient powertrains. The standard XC90 gets a 2.0-liter turbocharged and supercharged engine with all-wheel drive making an impressive 316 horsepower. Or if buyers want to be a little greener and more powerful, there is the XC90 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid with the same engine, albeit augmented with an electric motor to produce a staggering 400 hp.

The exterior styling is crisp, if not quite as sensual as Volvo's latest concepts, but we think the interior is the real star here, with a dashboard that looks like it came out of a Herman Miller catalog and a unique vertically oriented infotainment screen integrated into its center stack, perhaps taking a cue from Tesla. If the cabin feels as good as it looks, we think a lot of sales are going to be won inside.

Volvo prides itself on its safety reputation, and the new XC90 is no different with some brand-new tech. First, there's a run-off road protection package that absorbs energy between the seat and its frame that "cushions the vertical forces." There's also an intersection braking system that stops the crossover if it tries to pull out in front of an oncoming car.

US pricing for the XC90 T6 AWD starts at $48,900, and comes standard with luxury features like nav and a panoramic sunroof. There's also going to be a limited run of 1,927 First Edition models (the date the brand was founded) that come with all of the options and special badges but have to be reserved online starting on September 3rd at 10:00 AM ET. Prices for these exclusive vehicles start at $65,900.

Consider this an appetizer of our full coverage of the 2015 XC90. The embargo has been lifted after numerous leaks, but we have a Deep Dive delving into all of this Volvo's innovations going up shortly to help you learn the nitty-gritty details. Scroll down to read the official announcement for the next-generation Volvo and the First Edition model.

Interior is well-done, but I'm not sold on the exterior. Looking at the price of the First Edition, a loaded one will approach $70k. There is no way I'm spending that much on a Volvo with questionable future reliability and resale, especially over the equivalent BMW/Audi/Porsche/Mercedes/Lexus. Not to mention, the entire 4 banger line-up...

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I miss my old Alfa Romeo, a lowly Alfetta Sedan 1.8L with the DOCH dual carburetor engine kicking 3-series bmws, i've never driven a car that handles that good since.

I would love a 4C, heck i'd be very happy with a late model 159. hopefully they (Alfa, Fiat) make it in the US since that's where most of our second hand cars come from.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Ford's ST series are doing very well over here, and now there are rumors of the Focus RS making its debut here in the USA.

I never owned a car from the Big Three till I bought my '13 Fiesta SE (though, having been designed in the UK and built in Mexico it's American-ness is compromised :D). It's an excellent car - good handling, comfortable ride, exceptional fuel economy by US standards. The manual transmission is quite good for a car in this price range. The electric steering is fine for everyday driving though the lack of feedback would be a problem for competitive driving. Plenty of room up front and not at all bad in the back either. Most Americans are obsessed with large autos but after downsizing to this car I am converted. I can see getting a golf-sized car but I really don't need anything bigger.

I desperately wanted a Fiesta ST but they hadn't made it to dealers at the time and I needed a car. Maybe next time.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Thought this was interesting... After 12 years, they're finally coming out with a new XC90...

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/26/2015-volvo-xc90-revealed-official/

Interior is well-done, but I'm not sold on the exterior. Looking at the price of the First Edition, a loaded one will approach $70k. There is no way I'm spending that much on a Volvo with questionable future reliability and resale, especially over the equivalent BMW/Audi/Porsche/Mercedes/Lexus. Not to mention, the entire 4 banger line-up...

This is why Volvo is in trouble. They completely lack upscale cache. $70k can get you something a whole lot better.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Despite the fact that I have no plans to replace my TSX, I went over to the local Acura dealership to try a TLX 4 cylinder.

If I happened to own a 1G TSX, the 4 cylinder TLX is a logical progression. The tech package was about as well equipped as the RLX I had as a loaner last year. The DCT is such a huge improvement over the 5AT in the TSX. And yet, I am still quite happy with the TSX as the interior of the new car is not noticeably better IMHO. Also, the TLX is supposed to be quieter, but I didn't notice.

Again, great car. Lots of added technology for which the A caliper brand is famous, but not significantly better than a TSX in any way other than transmission.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… Apple is selling more iPhones than ever …

That was Apple's argument when Apple had a tiny market share, the best selling car was the Ford Fiesta, Mercedes Benz had 5% market share. Which one do you want? …

In the 1970s, during my childhood we sometimes had in a long, single-track driveway, five vehicles. For a while the mix probably included:
  • Ford Anglia
  • Ford Anglia estate
  • Ford Cortina
  • Hillman Super Minx estate
Also a Mini Countryman, but I can't recall whether that was the fifth in the mix above.

I should add, no more than two or three were roadworthy at any one time.

Our own driveway aside: the sound of people in the neighbourhood trying, failing to start a Ford was as recognisable as the sound of cuckoos from the churchyard on a Sunday morning. I have happy memories of push-starting the Cortina, along the driveway, many mornings before school in my teens.

Used cars owned by me over the past twenty-something years:
  • Hillman Super Minx
  • Hillman Super Minx estate, with overdrive and more from a Humber Sceptre
  • Ford Cortina estate
  • Mercedes-Benz 230TE (S124)
  • Ford Granada Mark III, top-of-the-range Scorpio, estate, automatic
  • Mazda 323
  • Mercedes-Benz 300TE (S124)
  • Mercedes-Benz E280 Elegance estate (S210) 5-TRONIC
To joedec's question: a somewhat predictable answer, I prefer the Mercedes-Benz experience to the Ford experience.

I no longer assume that Mercedes-Benz will be costly to maintain. The 300TE experience was enlightening.

Longer and shorter introductions to my driving history, including my reasons for preferring Mercedes-Benz.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
To joedec's question: a somewhat predictable answer, I prefer the Mercedes-Benz experience to the Ford experience.

I no longer assume that Mercedes-Benz will be costly to maintain. The 300TE experience was enlightening. [/SIZE]

In this age of manufacturing, it's becoming increasingly less likely for cars to have problem. In general, most cars should and will last without a huge amount of maintenance for the first five or six years.

A number of the German reliability issues come from drivers buying used automobiles with a large number of miles and questionable maintenance history. Japanese and American cars have the same problems, however the price to fix the European cars is just so much greater than an American or Japanese car.

Real world, are Mercedes-Benz vehicles that much less reliable than Acuras and Lexus's? No, probably not, but the cost to maintain is much higher.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
In the 1970s, during my childhood we sometimes had in a long, single-track driveway, five vehicles. For a while the mix probably included:
  • Ford Anglia
  • Ford Anglia estate
  • Ford Cortina
  • Hillman Super Minx estate
Also a Mini Countryman, but I can't recall whether that was the fifth in the mix above.

I should add, no more than two or three were roadworthy at any one time.

Our own driveway aside: the sound of people in the neighbourhood trying, failing to start a Ford was as recognisable as the sound of cuckoos from the churchyard on a Sunday morning. I have happy memories of push-starting the Cortina, along the driveway, many mornings before school in my teens.

Used cars owned by me over the past twenty-something years:
  • Hillman Super Minx
  • Hillman Super Minx estate, with overdrive and more from a Humber Sceptre
  • Ford Cortina estate
  • Mercedes-Benz 230TE (S124)
  • Ford Granada Mark III, top-of-the-range Scorpio, estate, automatic
  • Mazda 323
  • Mercedes-Benz 300TE (S124)
  • Mercedes-Benz E280 Elegance estate (S210) 5-TRONIC

I no longer assume that Mercedes-Benz will be costly to maintain. The 300TE experience was enlightening.

Longer and shorter introductions to my driving history, including my reasons for preferring Mercedes-Benz.

Awesome post! Some fantastic cars in there, and a few I had to lookup :cool:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This is why Volvo is in trouble. They completely lack upscale cache. $70k can get you something a whole lot better.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the average Volvo buyer gave up on them a few years ago when they spent so many years selling the same outdated XC90 year after year. Those early XC90 buyers have moved onto MB/Audi/BMW/Lexus, etc. And there is no way they're going to come back...especially at that $70k price-point.

What does this offer that a Cayenne doesn't? :cool:

----------

Again, great car. Lots of added technology for which the A caliper brand is famous, but not significantly better than a TSX in any way other than transmission.

Some of the reviews have talked about how the interior isn't nearly as good as the TSX/TL were. Some evident cost-cutting it seems. I really liked the TSX, but am not sold on the TLX. It just looks boring. Oversized ILX... which isn't a good thing at all :D

----------

Not bad... looks cute. However, I want a small high-revving turbo.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Not bad... looks cute. However, I want a small high-revving turbo.

Yeah, there’s been talk of an S2000 successor for some time, that would be a turbo 2.2-2.5, same layout FE/RD. The last kind of semi-crazy rumor I heard was it being targeted between the next gen NSX, and the S660 tiny roadster, and being mid-engine with some kind of AWD system. Plus, a price tag up in the 60s.

That sounds exactly _not_ like a next gen S2000 to me. :confused:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Yeah, there’s been talk of an S2000 successor for some time, that would be a turbo 2.2-2.5, same layout FE/RD. The last kind of semi-crazy rumor I heard was it being targeted between the next gen NSX, and the S660 tiny roadster, and being mid-engine with some kind of AWD system. Plus, a price tag up in the 60s.

That sounds exactly _not_ like a next gen S2000 to me. :confused:
Typical Honda. Parade out their turbos only to not use them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.