Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruler22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
PA
I'm referencing the macrumors article on the front page showing the model number that indicates RAM:

I'm not convinced that the image shown even indicates that the iPhone 6 will have 1GB of RAM.

From what I see on the image, this is what is printed:
H9CKNNN_KTMR_R

Now, let's compare this against the below:
http://www.skhynix.com/products/mob...nfo.ramKind=33&info.eol=NOT&posMap=MobileDDR3

1) H9CCNNN4GTMLAR (4Gb = 512MB)
2) H9CCNNN8JTALAR (8Gb = 1GB)
3) H9CCNNN8KTALBR (8Gb = 1GB)
4) H9CKNNN8GTMPLR (8Gb = 1GB)
5) H9CCNNNBLTALAR (16Gb = 2GB)
6) H9CCNNNBPTALBR (16Gb = 2GB)
7) H9CKNNNBJTMPLR (16Gb = 2GB)
8) H9CKNNNBKTMRPR (16Gb = 2GB)
9) H9CKNNNBKTMTDR (16Gb = 2GB)
10) H9CKNNNBPTATDR (16Gb = 2GB)
11) H9CKNNNDATMRPR (24Gb = 3GB)
12) H9CKNNNDATMTDR (24Gb = 3GB)

Row's 1-3 and 5-6 can be eliminated since they start as "H9CCNNN..." rather than the 'H9CKNNN...' we are looking for.

So far this leaves the following:

7) H9CKNNNBJTMPLR (16Gb = 2GB)
10) H9CKNNNBPTATDR (16Gb = 2GB)
11) H9CKNNNDATMRPR (24Gb = 3GB)
12) H9CKNNNDATMTDR (24Gb = 3GB)

After the 1st letter in question (8 or is it a B?), the sequence continues with what looks to be "KTM", so let's look at what that leaves us: Lines 7, and 10-12 can be removed as well, so we now have this left:

Looking at the remaining three digits, it looks like R_R (looks like a 'W' in between, but that doesn't match up with anything above), so looking at what we are left with, we just have:

The above leads me to believe that the iPhone 6 will indeed have 2GB of RAM; and continues the "tradition" of doubling/increasing RAM every form factor change. I don't know why it looks like a 'W' in the pictures, as opposed to a 'P' above, but this is what I have so far.

The above makes sense to me, but let me know if someone sees anything I may have done wrong.

Attachments

• Hynix RAM copy.png
    Hynix RAM copy.png
    251.1 KB · Views: 783

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
You may have something here! Your process of elimination does seem to jive to arrive at 2GB. But I will be honest - I am not too concerned about this issue.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Please be right. Mainly so I can enjoy the increased RAM capacity, but also to keep the perennial whiners from flooding MacRumors in the coming weeks after the event. We get it, this time you're really gonna switch to Android. :rolleyes:

Mindbender14

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Difficult to tell. It really does look like "RWR" at the end but could easily be "P_R."

Nice sleuthing anyway. Hope you're right.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Unfortunately, I don't believe your interpretation is correct. If you look at the A7 board in the comparison pic, the RAM part number is nearly identical: H9CKNNN8KTMRKR (also seen in the Retina iPad mini) vs. what appears to be H9CKNNN8KTMRWR from the A8. Only the second-to-last position looks to be different.

That list from Hynix is not comprehensive, as evidenced by the A7's RAM part number not being on it...possibly a custom part made just for Apple and so not listed as an option for regular customers.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Nice work! I think you're right. No way that's the "G" in #4.
I've blown-up the image and improved the contrast. It sure looks like "KTM" so it's not a 1GB model.

Attachments

• iphone_6_a8_ram_adjusted.jpg
    iphone_6_a8_ram_adjusted.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 348

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Okay, I found the part number format, and it is indeed an 8 Gb (1 GB) part. See page 5 of this PDF, but I'll put the relevant chart right here.

vpyl5l.jpg

Here you can see that it is the eighth and ninth positions that are indeed important. It looks like the eighth position is the density (8 Gb both in the document and here on the A8) and the ninth position is the stacking within the package.

The other difference is in positions 12-13, which is the package type. That makes sense given that it's a custom part to match the size of the main A8 package. Hence the difference between the A7 and A8...the chips are slightly different sizes, so we have RK and RW variations. Otherwise the part numbers are identical between the A7 and A8.

ruler22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
PA
Why do you think it's 'GTM' after the "8" (or could be a 'B'), and not "KTM"? It sure looks like a K to me, rather than a G, unless I'm missing something.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
After my iPhone 5 came out of the box scratched and looking used, I care more about quality than ram. APPLES slipping.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Nice work! I think you're right. No way that's the "G" in #4.

I've blown-up the image and improved the contrast. It sure looks like "KTM" so it's not a 1GB model.

Yup. No way a G.

*crossing fingers*

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Unfortunately, I don't believe your interpretation is correct. If you look at the A7 board in the comparison pic, the RAM part number is nearly identical: H9CKNNN8KTMRKR (also seen in the Retina iPad mini) vs. what appears to be H9CKNNN8KTMRWR from the A8. Only the second-to-last position looks to be different.

That list from Hynix is not comprehensive, as evidenced by the A7's RAM part number not being on it...possibly a custom part made just for Apple and so not listed as an option for regular customers.

Yes, it would seem to be the first generation of an RW chip.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Why do you think it's 'GTM' after the "8" (or could be a 'B'), and not "KTM"? It sure looks like a K to me, rather than a G, unless I'm missing something.

I don't think it is a G...it's clearly a K. That sheet is just the closest example I could find for a similar part.

At the simplest level, the RAM part numbers on the A7 and A8 are identical with the exception of RK vs. RW in positions that describe the package type and not the density. So 1 GB on both.

Between DDR3 and DDR2, which use the same format, there are over 30 examples on Hynix's lists and they are 100% consistent...the character in the eighth position denotes the density. 2 for 2 Gb, 4 for 4 Gb, 8 for 8 Gb, B for 16 Gb, and D for 24 Gb.

If folks would like to debate whether it's an 8 or a B there, that's one thing, but even then it seems pretty clear to me and many others that it's an 8.

ruler22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
PA
I'll agree that it does look like an 8, although sharpening a blown-up image may distort what we are seeing, so I'm still leaving the possibility open that it could be a 'B' and with what ever font type is there, and the possible distortion, could be one..

My point is that it looks fairly clear that it is 'KTM' after the alleged 8. Looking at the RAM choices available, there is no 8Gb one there that has KTM after it. I left line #8 in my final 3 selections, even though it has a 'G' in it, just to account for that maybe it is a G rather than a K. However, saying that, I vehemently disagree that it's a G, as the same K is repeated earlier in the sequence, and the two look identical.

Does this mean anything? I'm just thinking that you may be able to look at other items in the sequence to either support or discredit whether it's an 8 or a B...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I'll agree that it does look like an 8, although sharpening a blown-up image may distort what we are seeing, so I'm still leaving the possibility open that it could be a 'B' and with what ever font type is there, and the possible distortion, could be one..

My point is that it looks fairly clear that it is 'KTM' after the alleged 8. Looking at the RAM choices available, there is no 8Gb one there that has KTM after it. I left line #8 in my final 3 selections, even though it has a 'G' in it, just to account for that maybe it is a G rather than a K. However, saying that, I vehemently disagree that it's a G, as the same K is repeated earlier in the sequence, and the two look identical.

Does this mean anything? I'm just thinking that you may be able to look at other items in the sequence to either support or discredit whether it's an 8 or a B...

It is not KTM after 8.

It is 8 Gib of memory with K and T characteristics of a first generation chip (M). Maybe they consider it first generation just because of the RW package.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Looking at the RAM choices available, there is no 8Gb one there that has KTM after it.

Not on that list, but the list is not comprehensive. We *know* an 8 Gb KTM part exists...it's been used in the A7 for a year.

ruler22

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
PA
Thanks for the information.

Can you take a look here:

http://updates4smartphone.blogspot.com/2013/09/how-to-disassemble-xperia-z1.html

Specifically look at this image:

http://static.xperiablog.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Xperia-Z1-disassembly-guide_19-640x400.jpg

There is a Hynix RAM module with a "B" (in the actual review/tear-down text above the image, it's typed out as a B and not an 8), and I'd think it could be mistaken for an 8, especially in a blurry, zoomed-in, image.

Thoughts?

Edit: Could still be an 8 on the image we have for i6, idk really, might be a stretch for the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.