Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
On the A8, that character certainly looks to be "pinched in" at the middle of both sides, very much suggesting an 8 and not a B. Sure, there's a possibility that could be wrong, but I think you have to really want it to be a B in order to see it that way. ;)

Morgs31

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Everybody seems to be so concerned about how much ram is going be in the iphone 6, I am sure apple will put 2gb ram if it needs it

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Everybody seems to be so concerned about how much ram is going be in the iphone 6, I am sure apple will put 2gb ram if it needs it

I really feel like it's gonna be 1gb again, apple won't ever mention it, they never do.

Morgs31

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Yeah apple never talk about ram has you said. Are u bothered about the ram. I want bigger phone and better battery life

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Maybe since this number is list on the part chart from the supplier website is a very custom amount like 1.5 gb. Probably not, it's 1 gb and that fine.

But I wonder if the 5.5 with have 2gb and the 4.7 will have 1gb.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
The iPhone 6 having only 1GB of RAM will be the longest product cycle that Apple has had without upgrading the RAM...if true, it really is pathetic on their part especially if they plan to integrate multi-tasking into iOS 8.

Sure, their software is tighter and more efficient than the competition but clearly that can't last forever. RAM is the current bottleneck of iOS and Apple's stubbornness to give the SW more breathing room and increase its capabilities is frustrating to say the least.

By the way, if iOS was as compact and efficient as everyone says, we would still have 256MB of RAM and 5 tabs open at once in Safari...

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Probably not because by then flagships will have 4GiB.

True, now the 64 bit processors will have some kind of use haha

----------

Agreed. All I and most people care about is whether or not the phone runs smoothly and without lag.

Well I can tell you right now, it won't always run smoothly, i haven't really experienced tab reloading on safari with my 5c but i've experienced it with other apps like ebay for example, there's only so much you can do with 1gb

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Will iFixit be the ones that confirm this for us once they get a model and tear it down? I hope it's 2GB Ram but if not, won't bother me much.

It can be checked via software. So we should know pretty quick once it's in the wild, ifixit and others will only further confirm this.

A heavy user will know pretty quick when it comes to tabs and app refreshing. A jump to 2gb will be pretty obvious for a power user in everyday use. The average user won't recognize that their suspended app was pushed out of RAM when they reopen it.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Of course it has an upgrade in RAM, bigger screen etc needs the more RAM. Good work anyhow. ;)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Maybe since this number is list on the part chart from the supplier website is a very custom amount like 1.5 gb. Probably not, it's 1 gb and that fine.

But I wonder if the 5.5 with have 2gb and the 4.7 will have 1gb.

No. It looks like A is reserved for 1.5GiB

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Hate to say it but I think it's clearly an 8 and not a B. Which really sucks because I want it so badly to have 2GB or RAM and not 1GB, which is anemic as most power users know.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
True, now the 64 bit processors will have some kind of use haha

----------

Well I can tell you right now, it won't always run smoothly, i haven't really experienced tab reloading on safari with my 5c but i've experienced it with other apps like ebay for example, there's only so much you can do with 1gb

Define "smooth". Personally, having lots of app and safari tab reloads makes for a very bumpy user experience. If they put the measly 2GB in, they could please everybody.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Define "smooth". Personally, having lots of app and safari tab reloads makes for a very bumpy user experience. If they put the measly 2GB in, they could please everybody.

I don't think Apple cares about pleasing everybody, they want to make the biggest profit possible just like their competitors, I guess for them, 1gb is enough.

They already have the iPhone 6S with 2gb of ram so they don't care haha

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think Apple cares about pleasing everybody, they want to make the biggest profit possible just like their competitors, I guess for them, 1gb is enough.

They already have the iPhone 6S with 2gb of ram so they don't care haha

I mostly agree with this but the iPhone 6 only having 1GB of RAM will be the longest Apple has went without upgrading (3 iPhone releases).

Apple is always showcasing the "user experience" and I fail to see how this will remain optimized with only 1GB RAM and iOS 8 with supposed multi-tasking. I think you were right in that they are just being cheap and trying to maximize the profit margins. Apple has never needed specs to sell their products...

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
?ktmr

Looks like it is an 8 but must be a B since the following characters look like KTMR... So 2GB would be my guess too. Was the picture taken with an iPhone? lol. Could use some OIS. On another note... 2GB is better than 1GB. With additions to iOS and more and more DSP functions and increasing complexity... always good to engineer in a little more than what you need to prepare for hungrier iOS 9. Lots of older phones come with 1GB iOS/android etc... Most newer phones seem to have 2GB and 3GB. There probably isn't too much a price difference.
With the latest news about hi-tech workers in silicon valley being a target of wage fixing... you'd think these selfish corporations could throw in and extra few dollars in to their BOM. Apparently Jobs was the ring leader of employee hell. Sorry... Had to vent that. lol. Class action compensation around 9 billion (9G$).

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I mostly agree with this but the iPhone 6 only having 1GB of RAM will be the longest Apple has went without upgrading (3 iPhone releases).

Apple is always showcasing the "user experience" and I fail to see how this will remain optimized with only 1GB RAM and iOS 8 with supposed multi-tasking. I think you were right in that they are just being cheap and trying to maximize the profit margins. Apple has never needed specs to sell their products...

Well, we're not 100% sure we won't see 2gb of ram, it sucks 'cause they won't talk about it during the keynote, we'll have to wait for ifixit to tell us or something and that's only gonna be after its release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.