Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Thats what I have :/ It won't work with regular or server. I have VMWare 5.0.3.

I get this message: "Mac OSX can't be installed on this computer."

I even tried using the disks, and installing from a DMG file.
This message appears, if you use machine specific OS X versions. This
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13000644#post13000644
should help.

I think VMware needs a read-only .dmg file, so it is possible, that you need to convert the disk image file to a read-only .dmg file.

----------

Downloaded and installed P-9. Now when I double click on a file to open in Windows (I need to run Project Manager and Visio) Parallels starts up the VM, then does nothing. An icon appears (briefly) for the application then disappears. That's it.

It seems my only recourse is to remove Parallels 9 and revert to v8.
You are in the wrong thread.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
VirtualBox!!
Because I'm cheap!
You know there are ways to get any app for free...

If-You-Know-What-I-Mean-Mr-Bean-Blank.png

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
This message appears, if you use machine specific OS X versions. This
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13000644#post13000644
should help.

I think VMware needs a read-only .dmg file, so it is possible, that you need to convert the disk image file to a read-only .dmg file.

Oh interesting, I wonder if the version I bought is machine specific (I bought it off eBay so there's a good chance it is). Thanks for the link I will try it when I get home.

I did try with a DMG too but got the same response. I'll follow this thread to try and disable the check.

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
For those who too are experiencing the crash-on-start problem after upgrading:

Here's how I fixed it:
1. Uninstalled it by dragging "VMWare Fusion" folder to the trash.
2. Restart machine
3. Delete preferences folder "/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion"
4. Empty trash
5. Re-installed Fusion 6

This did work for me on one machine, the other one required:
Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license.fusion.site.6.0*

(which seems to more specifically address the cause of the problem, so it should probably be tried first).

Last edited:

RadioGnome

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Here
damn, these yearly required upgrades are so tiresome. I think I have paid them nearly a grand over the years.

:(

I just upgraded my second licence last july :eek:

If all goes well, and not so well for VMware, there will be discounts in a couple of months.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
To say that I'm underwhelmed with this version is an understatement. All I get is a Meh over this. Definitely not worth the upgrade price.

TheJustAbout

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2010
UK
I was fortunate enough to buy a copy a few weeks ago, VMWare sent me my free upgrade last night. So far so good, install was a breeze and VMWare tools updated without any problems. :)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
To say that I'm underwhelmed with this version is an understatement. All I get is a Meh over this. Definitely not worth the upgrade price.

Same here.

I've never noticed "performance improvements" between versions and I've had VMWare since version 2, and the upgrade price is lousy especially for those of us who just bought the latest version.

Intenost

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Boston, MA
Same here.... let me know if you solve the problem.

Try this, worked for me:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2058900

VMware Fusion 6 fails to start (2058900)

Symptoms
You cannot open VMware Fusion
Fusion crashes when opened
The crash report includes this text:

cui::license::GetLicenseInfoForProduct
Cause
This issue is caused by an incompatibility with files created by VMware Fusion 1.x or 2.x. The files may have been created by installing VMware Fusion 1.x or 2.x on your Mac, or they may have been migrated from an older Mac.
Resolution
To resolve this issue and start Fusion, you must remove the old license information.

To remove the old license information:
Click OK to close the crash report.
Open Finder.
On the top menu bar, click Go > Go to Folder. Enter the path below:

/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/

Delete all files that start with license.fusion.site.6.0 by dragging them to the Trash.
If you are prompted to allow the changes, enter your Mac login name and password, then click OK.
You can now open and use VMware Fusion. Because Fusion is fully starting for the first time, you must enter your license key or start a trial.
Additional Information
If you are comfortable working with the OS X command line, you can remove the files by running this command:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/license.fusion.site.6.0.*

When prompted for a password, enter your Mac password.

Note: For security reasons, the typed password is not displayed.

----------

I'm having this exact same problem on a Macbook Air 4,1. It keeps asking me if I want to reopen the window from the last session since it crashed, and it crashes again. I completely uninstalled Fusion 4 according to the VMWare website (all the different preferences, caches, etc.) and installed 6 from scratch and still got the same initial question about opening since the last crash, then it crashes again.

I installed it on my Mac Pro 5,1 with no problems at all.

Both machines are completely up to date with everything in Mountain Lion. (10.8.4)

Try this: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2058900

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
The various native OS X RDP clients are missing features you need?
For merely accessing a server remotely they have all you need. However, if you have to run apps via RDP things become different as not all of them support this. The official Microsoft one can run the apps but it lacks stability compared to the Windows version.

Some will use a dedicated management computer to manage the servers, network components, etc. You can do that on a physical machine but you can also do this with a vm. Fusion gives you some great features for this. You can create a vm with all the tools necessary, encrypt it and distribute it amongst the sysadmins. There are others ways of doing this though (you could use PXE for a network install/restore and maybe even combine it with something like Puppet). Very useful because you use one of the key benefits from virtualisation: making it hardware independent. That means the person could use Windows, Linux or OS X as his host OS while still being able to manage the servers/network. This becomes more obvious when you use different systems and/or a team.

buthidae

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Has anyone found their Windows taskbar inaccessible in Unity mode after updating to Windows 8.1? It doesn't pop up like it used to with Fusion 6 + Windows 8.

I've tried hidden and unhidden, and different taskbar positions - nada. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling vmware tools. Yes, I know there's a Fusion button in the menu bar, but I like to have certain alerts pop up on a windows taskbar on the side of my screen :)

Edit: Just made sure, I've got "Show taskbar in Unity mode" enabled!

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Any noticeable performance differences or anything worthwhile in V6 over V5

My setup:
* MBP (Retina) 15-inch, Early 2013
-- 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
-- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
-- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

VM's
* Win 7 64bit
* Win 8.1 64bit
* Mac OS X Snow Leopard
* Other VM's as needed/as curiosity needs

-- Off Topic: I still wish we could VM OS9.x (SheepShaver never seems to work very well)

cjd

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Stay on Fusion 5 if you can

Recently"upgraded" to Fusion 6. I use a 2008 Mac Pro with 4 displays and was able to run a Win XP VM on Fusion 5 using all 4 displays without problem. Purchased an upgrade to Fusion 6 a few weeks ago. It turns out Fusion 6 can only support 2 displays. I was told by VMWare support if I want multi display support I have to move to Fusion 7. However, I just downloaded a trial version of Fusion 7 and it seems to only supports 2 displays.

I prefer Fusion over Parallels as I find it more stable, but may need to reconsider if I cannot use all my displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.