Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jrv7

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
MacBook Air ultraclassic... It has to be gold)

http://www.computerhistory.org/revolution/personal-computers/17/300/1047?position=0

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
... Apple has at least considered launching the 12" notebook with several different "special edition" color options.

Colors? B.F.D. The important question is whether it will be ARM-based or x86-based.
I'd say it's 50/50 either way: A9 running iOS or x86 running OS X.

A 4-core A9 might easily power a 12-inch MacBook running iOS.
No need to port any OS X apps from x86 to ARM. Especially not the legacy "Pro" apps.
Oh, and there are 1+ million apps on the App Store.

trajan2448

macrumors member
May 3, 2010
great for kids

Another kiddie toy for students. Cook obviously couldn't care less about power users. He's too busy hiring people from the fashion industry. What a joke.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Another kiddie toy for students. Cook obviously couldn't care less about power users. He's too busy hiring people from the fashion industry. What a joke.

I want a high end toy with lots of power for us power users...

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
This actually causes me pain to read.
Gold? How about some baby pink?

Anyway, here's the deal, you guys are gonna crucify me for this.

Last year my Aluminum Macbook (from 2008, yeah late 2008), just stopped working out of the blue.
I went to an apple certified repairer that charged me 30 bucks to say there was no repair (a feasible at least). Frustrated I wet to market for a new Macbook. I was thinking of going Pro at the time. And I felt attacked by the prices Apple was proposing. But I couldn't live without OS X - even though I was still a bit bummed how by how Apple had been dumbing down the OSX since 10.6 (Long live the SnoLeo) - so PCs were not a possibility at the time considering my previous experiences with Vista and 30 minute battery life laptops.
Anyway, a friend of mine lent me his laptop for a few days while he was out of town. It was a mid range HP that had Windows 7 installed and things actually ran pretty smoothly.
After a week, I found my self browsing Windows laptops in a local electronics retailer. HERESY you might say. Indeed.
But guess what I found:
A 2.4 GHz, 8Gb, 1Tb, Full HD 15.6 screen with an ATI 8870m (2Gb GDDR5) laptop for $1000 bucks (new, not refurbish).
And it came in a sleek Aluminum package weighing less than 4.8 pounds with swipe pinch to zoom and promising a whopping 8 hour battery life.

I was short in cash, wanted to do a bit of gaming and this beast ran circles around any MacBook, for a third of the price. And believe me, it felt great to the touch. No noisy rattles when you hit gently with your knuckles, not bendy in the screen, powerful JBL speakers.
However, it was a Samsung, an 870z model. The devil himself had come to test me, two years after the passing away of the messiah.
I resisted no more and sold my soul to the devil. I bought this hellish laptop and ever since I have been coming here every day and witnessing the demise of Apple.
I am quite happy with my laptop. After some tweaks Windows 8 is pretty bearable and the battery does last 6 to eight hours. It's fast as hell and I pretty much do everything I need to on it.
I miss OSX, the old one, not this dumbed down version that looks like a crossover to iOS and I just wanted to say that if apple does come up with a *BLEEPING* gold MacBook (even though they may call it champagne) I'll be even happier I jumped ship.

Nonetheless, you guys here at MacRumors are a great community and I'll keep coming here hoping that at least here the spirit of Jobs is respected and honored instead of being whored out by corporate greed.

BTW, the keyboard on this thing is also pretty nice, yeah they copied it from Apple but who gives a damn...

Please don't kick me out.

best regards

:apple:SpiderDude:apple:

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, that is what is most important. However, I think your analogy in selling your soul the devil is accurate. That Apple Macbook you had before served you for 6 years. Further, 6 years later, it's still worth $150-$300 depending on exact specs and condition. I highly highly doubt you will get 6 years of use from that Samsung, and it certainly won't be worth anything after 6 years either. However, please prove me wrong!

Over a 6 year span, I think an Apple laptop actually comes out cheaper.

james1758

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
UK
I've been wanting for this for a while but... all I'm hoping for is;

1) Fan-less (Intel M chip) - will be considerably thinner, rather than a wedge shape.
2) Retina display

If they implement both of those, I can finally see myself upgrading from my '09 unibody! Otherwise I guess I'll wait for another year...

----------

Oh and I guess slate grey would be cool (NOT gold or white!), also I'd be fine with a 12" display, if they were to scrap the 11&13". Otherwise I'll stick with 13"

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
If there is a gold iPad ill admit it's possible but I still think it would look tacky. I'm no designer though and I sure don't know better than Jony Ive. If I had to put a dollar bet on it today I'd say $100 (keep in mind I'm a poor teacher so that's a lot of money for me).

That's honestly more confidence than I thought you'd have. I wouldn't put any money down on either side, as I think both outcomes are both plausible, and I'm not a gambler. I guess the first test will come in October with the iPad.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
Someone cared :D

I'm glad you're happy with your purchase, that is what is most important. However, I think your analogy in selling your soul the devil is accurate. That Apple Macbook you had before served you for 6 years. Further, 6 years later, it's still worth $150-$300 depending on exact specs and condition. I highly highly doubt you will get 6 years of use from that Samsung, and it certainly won't be worth anything after 6 years either. However, please prove me wrong!

Over a 6 year span, I think an Apple laptop actually comes out cheaper.

Hey buddy. Thanks, I was begin to think I was considered a troll or something.
You make a valid point. But my macbook was unbearably slow and the battery was beginning to crap out on me, for the second time. :mad:
It was only making it to the 6th year due to how miserably poor I am. ahah
And, even though it was pretty well kept, in this market that I'm in nobody would give me more than $150 for it.
I'll come back in a few years to keep you posted on the longevity of the Samsung ;)
I miss mac OS X, but after a year I do not regret my purchase. It still powers on in less than 20 secs and apart from the Samsung logo, it is a thing of beauty.

:apple:SpiderDude:apple:

kushibo

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
In a few years it'll just be a sheet of paper with an Apple sticker on it.
Oh, my God! What if some Chinese worker from the future has been slipping those future MacBook Airs into our Apple product packages all this time and we didn't even know it?! I'd better get that computer off my Honda right now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.