Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Tapping does cut it. I started getting into the habit of tapping a few years ago and now it is second nature and much more efficient.

What about highlighting things or dragging files?
I would prefer a trackpad that still clicks. If anything, getting rid of that feature would make things less efficient.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
Still waiting on some innovation....

It will be cool to see how they cool the internals. I'm wondering if they'll use an A series Apple processor or an Intel ULV one.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
There will not be a gold laptop.

Unfortunately, there is:

macbookgold.png

Vincent Pride

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Transitioning MacBook Air to fashion items makes perfect sense. I don't know about USA, but in Asia, Russia and so on those are mostly used either by kids / teens from (semi-)rich families or by girls married to middle class men. In either way Airs are seldom used for productivity, and are more that often serve as luxurious presents.

In regard to that the gold Air will definitely happen sooner or later. The only thing missing in it would probably be a built-in GoPro camera, to make aerial self-shots of yourself lounging in some penthouse bedroom, sipping expensive wine, browsing jewelry on your gold Air and eating $25000 chocolate sundae with edible gold flakes. Talk about Dan Bilzerian lifestyle.

redpandadev

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
I think that this and the rumors of the 12" "iPad Pro" are in fact the same product. Will it be an ARM based Macbook Pad? Will it be an Intel based iPad Mac? Something else? Who knows...?

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Bill Gates said he would like to have Steve's taste. That makes sense. The folks now seem to be into a candy colored electronics company. Maybe they forgot the iPhone 5c already.

Right, because since the original release of the iMac [I speak as a NeXT/Apple Alumnus] Steve was never into a collection of colors.

Sorry, but Steve most certainly would have approved. He approved with the iPod Mini colors and more.

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
This thing will be bad ass. I'm actually sad I don't have a need for it. Curious how thin it'll actually be since Jony's definition of "dramatically thinner" is .5-.7mm on an iPhone.

Sep 4, 2014
N/A
Are you the new 1080p? YAAAAS! Welcome back!

Yeah did that dude change his user name? He vanished.

----------

I think that this and the rumors of the 12" "iPad Pro" are in fact the same product. Will it be an ARM based Macbook Pad? Will it be an Intel based iPad Mac? Something else? Who knows...?

"Most incredible pipeline in 25 years." Wonder if they'll release something crazy next month or if it'll be some spec bumps to iPads etc.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
There will not be a gold laptop.

That's what they said when the Gold iPhone rumors were circulating.
Apple will not do bling, right? And then bam!

----------

I think it will have some gold accent, not all Gold wrap-around schlock.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
People said that before the gold iPhone and apparently it's flying off the shelves.

I would prefer a nice black to space grey but anything for a change from silver would be great.

I hate that name "Space Grey". Why don't they just call it Granite or something.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Gold?

Puh-lease. Time to remove Macrumors from my daily bookmarks I think.

SpiderDude

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Portugal, Europe
*facepalm*

This actually causes me pain to read.
Gold? How about some baby pink?

Anyway, here's the deal, you guys are gonna crucify me for this.

Last year my Aluminum Macbook (from 2008, yeah late 2008), just stopped working out of the blue.
I went to an apple certified repairer that charged me 30 bucks to say there was no repair (a feasible at least). Frustrated I wet to market for a new Macbook. I was thinking of going Pro at the time. And I felt attacked by the prices Apple was proposing. But I couldn't live without OS X - even though I was still a bit bummed how by how Apple had been dumbing down the OSX since 10.6 (Long live the SnoLeo) - so PCs were not a possibility at the time considering my previous experiences with Vista and 30 minute battery life laptops.
Anyway, a friend of mine lent me his laptop for a few days while he was out of town. It was a mid range HP that had Windows 7 installed and things actually ran pretty smoothly.
After a week, I found my self browsing Windows laptops in a local electronics retailer. HERESY you might say. Indeed.
But guess what I found:
A 2.4 GHz, 8Gb, 1Tb, Full HD 15.6 screen with an ATI 8870m (2Gb GDDR5) laptop for $1000 bucks (new, not refurbish).
And it came in a sleek Aluminum package weighing less than 4.8 pounds with swipe pinch to zoom and promising a whopping 8 hour battery life.

I was short in cash, wanted to do a bit of gaming and this beast ran circles around any MacBook, for a third of the price. And believe me, it felt great to the touch. No noisy rattles when you hit gently with your knuckles, not bendy in the screen, powerful JBL speakers.
However, it was a Samsung, an 870z model. The devil himself had come to test me, two years after the passing away of the messiah.
I resisted no more and sold my soul to the devil. I bought this hellish laptop and ever since I have been coming here every day and witnessing the demise of Apple.
I am quite happy with my laptop. After some tweaks Windows 8 is pretty bearable and the battery does last 6 to eight hours. It's fast as hell and I pretty much do everything I need to on it.
I miss OSX, the old one, not this dumbed down version that looks like a crossover to iOS and I just wanted to say that if apple does come up with a *BLEEPING* gold MacBook (even though they may call it champagne) I'll be even happier I jumped ship.

Nonetheless, you guys here at MacRumors are a great community and I'll keep coming here hoping that at least here the spirit of Jobs is respected and honored instead of being whored out by corporate greed.

BTW, the keyboard on this thing is also pretty nice, yeah they copied it from Apple but who gives a damn...

Please don't kick me out.

best regards

:apple:SpiderDude:apple:

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Not sure how I feel about colour options for MacBooks; maybe if it's just part of the body it could look okay, but an all gold (coloured) MacBook would look tacky IMO. The beauty of the current MacBooks is because the aluminium is both practical, functional and stylish on its own; colouring a device of that size could look horrible.

Don't get me wrong, there will always be people like rappists who would love to have a gold laptop to go with their ill-judged teeth and other garish crap, but I don't personally think the demand would really be high enough to justify the potential damage to the brand by pandering.

I know Apple used to offer a range of colours for G3 iMacs etc. but personally I feel the understated but elegant aluminium style we now have is far superior, and that Apple is best focusing on a single style and just making the machines as good as they possibly can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.