Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
well, that feature I never succeed.... and I don't care... 'cause I seldom send text message these days...

but other feature is OK. calls, continuity, airdrop~. So to me, its fully worked:)

ah okay...

well it bugs me because i can't even send text message from my ipad both running ios 8.

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
i just re-check the continuity feature on apple's site.
https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/
Send any kind of text message from any of your devices.
Coming in October

it appears this feature is still under development...

oh they did it again... I'm very sure it used to work in one of the previous yosemite beta version. well just wait then, there's only 3 more weeks left in october.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No matter how many times I try the various methods of tutorials on here for my 2011 MBP, the 4331 seems to hang around after numerous restarts, with the 4360 not kicking in at all. Not sure where the complications are arising, but as soon as I remove the 4331 and restart, Handoff begins to work and continues to work even after moving the 4331 back into place.

If you're having trouble with the guides on here, or anywhere, try moving the 4331 kext to the trash and restart. If it works, put it back, repair permissions and carry on your way. This has worked as a reliable "kickstart" for the times when the guides don't quite cut it, for whatever reason.

angusmcfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Good news for 2011 Macbook Air and 2011 Mac Mini owners, here's a refreshed tutorial that enables Continuity on those machines as well. Handoff, Instant hotspot, and iOS<->OSX Airdrop now fully work. I've tested it with Yosemite GM (14A379a).

The tutorial is built on top of previous great tutorials made by forum members mikecwest and Lem3ssie (thanks guys).
The new steps basically disable a blacklist in the Bluetooth drivers.

TUTORIAL

1. Download and install 0xED in your Applications folder, you can get it from here:
http://www.suavetech.com/0xed/

2. Download and install KextDrop in your Applications folder, you can get it from here:
http://www.cindori.org/software/kextdrop/

3. Open Terminal and type :
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

4. Restart your machine.

5. Open Finder, type CMD+Shift+G and go to /System/Library/Extensions/

6. Copy these files to your desktop and then delete the originals. Make another copy in a backup folder just in case.
Code:
IO80211Family.kext
IOBluetoothFamily.kext

7. Go to Terminal, and type: (exactly as below)
Code:
ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'

8. Your result should look like : Mac-742912EFDBEE19B3, (yours might be different.). Copy it to your clipboard (Select and CMD+C). Don't close terminal yet.

9. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G, go to ~/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/MacOS
Note: if you have a different OS language, you might need to replace "Desktop" in the path with your local translation.

10. Right Click on AirPortBrcm4360, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED

11. Press CMD+F, search for "Mac-" (without the quotes). Make sure the search type is Text and not HEX.

12. Look at the first result, for example, it might be Mac-C3EC7CD22292981F

13. Go back to the FIND box, in the FIND field enter that first "Mac-" number that you found.

14. In the REPLACE field, enter the number you got in Terminal, (remember you left it open.)

15. Click REPLACE

16. Repeat steps 11 to 15, but this time for the last "Mac-" result that you can find in the file.

17. Click SAVE (the red circle button)

18. Open Finder and hit CMD+Shift+G to open the "Go to" popup, and go to ~/Desktop/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS

19. Right Click on IOBluetoothFamily, and choose OPEN WITH: OTHER: 0XED

20. Press CMD+F.
In the SEARCH field type:
Code:
MacBookAir
Click FIND NEXT.

21. You will find a block of text containing
Code:
'MacBookAir4,1''MacBookAir4,2''Macmini5,1''Macmini5,2''Macmini5,3'
Manually replace the numbers with ones only so they all look like:
Code:
'MacBookAir1,1''MacBookAir1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1''Macmini1,1'
Be careful not to add any character while doing the replacement.

22. Click SAVE (the red circle button) and quit 0xED

23. Open KextDrop, and Drag and drop the IO80211Family.kext that you modified into the window.

24. Click INSTALL.

25. Repeat steps 23 and 24 but for your modified IOBluetoothFamily.kext

26. Go Back to Terminal, and type the following commands. Wait for each one to finish.

Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-caches

27. Reboot. Make sure you have an Internet connection for the next steps.

28. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCE> GENERAL, at the bottom click ENABLE HANDOFF

29. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCE> ICLOUD, click on SIGN OUT.

30. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN OUT.

31. Restart your Mac and iOS device.

32. Go to > SYSTEM PREFERENCE> ICLOUD, and enter your credentials to sign in.

33. On your iOS Device, go to SETTINGS> ICLOUD and SIGN IN.
[url=http://i.imgur.com/zNF1hbr.png]Image[/URL]

Edit: added more manual steps (steps 20 & 21)

Will this work with a 2011 iMac?

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
After many, many tests, I made a small step forward.
I have now airdrop working from macbook to iphone 5.
I can load the kext 4360

But still nothing handoff in system preferences / general
and in the info bluetooth I have: yes, no, no.

I keep trying.....
Hi rob3r7o, how did you end up getting this to work on your modified mid-2010 Macbook Pro? What did you edit in the AirPortBrcm4360 binary? Just curious.

----------

No matter how many times I try the various methods of tutorials on here for my 2011 MBP, the 4331 seems to hang around after numerous restarts, with the 4360 not kicking in at all. Not sure where the complications are arising, but as soon as I remove the 4331 and restart, Handoff begins to work and continues to work even after moving the 4331 back into place.

If you're having trouble with the guides on here, or anywhere, try moving the 4331 kext to the trash and restart. If it works, put it back, repair permissions and carry on your way. This has worked as a reliable "kickstart" for the times when the guides don't quite cut it, for whatever reason.

Thanks for the tip. When you were trying the various tutorials, did you try editing the first and last Mac board id in the AirPortBrcm4360 binary? I had a similar issue with my MacBook Air where the 4331 kept popping up, but putting my Mac board id as the last entry as well fixed it.

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Will this work with a 2011 iMac?
Stock 2011 iMacs have an Atheros Bluetooth 2.1 EDR chips, according to iFixit. This configuration isn't compatible with the tutorials, which focus on Bluetooth 4.0 LE chips of the Broadcom brand. Your best bet IMO is to find out whether other people with 2011 iMacs successfully made handoff work through a wireless card replacement.

rob3r7o

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
MacBook Pro 2010 + airport BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX ALL WORKS !!!!!

Hi rob3r7o, how did you end up getting this to work on your modified mid-2010 Macbook Pro? What did you edit in the AirPortBrcm4360 binary? Just curious.

GREAT NEWS for macbook pro 2010 with BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX upgrade.

I have upgrade to yosemite GM 2 and with AirPortBrcm4360 binary modded now i have all OK
Airdrop <-> iphone 5
Handoff <-> iphone 5
Continuity <-> iphone 5

I don't have modify bluetooth kext, just AirPortBrcm binary.
This is how to ( a bit difficult to explain):

ioreg -l | grep "board-id" | awk -F\" '{print $4}'
only show: Mac-F22586C8
but this value if inserted give error to load 4360.kext
I did a lot of tests and in the end I realized that I need to have:

Mac-F22586C8........

But we can't insert just this value.
because if we insert ascii . (point) then we doesn't have in binari value 00 (zero zero)

so, open AirPortBrcm4360 binary with 0xED
we can see 2 columns: left for binary, right for ascii (i think so)
Search first Mac- number (for esemple Mac-00F345FD546773FA.)
Put the cursor on the . (point) in the right columns and delete all number.
Now we have: Mac-.
write only F22586C8 (IN THE RIGHT COLUMNS)
Now we have Mac-F22586C8.
Look the left columns for cursor, click on it
Now we can write eight pairs of zero: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
if you look now the right columns we can see:
Mac-F22586C8.........
(9 POINT WITH GREY BACKGROUND IN TOTAL)

For safety I made this change to the first and last Mac- found

I hope I explained well, sorry but I do not speak English.

Thank you all for sharing your discoveries.
this is my small contribution

this is the kext modded
http://speedy.sh/xN5A8/IO80211Family.kext.zip

Attachments

• Handoff.png
    Handoff.png
    456.2 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
GREAT NEWS for macbook pro 2010 with BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX upgrade.

I have upgrade to yosemite GM 2 and with AirPortBrcm4360 binary modded now i have all OK
(...)
But we can't insert just this value.
because if we insert ascii . (point) then we doesn't have in binari value 00 (zero zero)

Nice find rob3r7o, thank you for sharing!
Your steps seem very clear to me. MBP 2010 owners definitely need to be careful because of the 00 binary values that need to be manually added in the procedure. It should also be possible to do a simple text Find & Replace for the Mac-IDs, and after that add the binary zeros.

angusmcfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
Stock 2011 iMacs have an Atheros Bluetooth 2.1 EDR chips, according to iFixit. This configuration isn't compatible with the tutorials, which focus on Bluetooth 4.0 LE chips of the Broadcom brand. Your best bet IMO is to find out whether other people with 2011 iMacs successfully made handoff work through a wireless card replacement.

Thank you for your help! I'll look into it and post any findings in here.

alex2016g

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Good news for 2011 Macbook Air and 2011 Mac Mini owners, here's a refreshed tutorial that enables Continuity on those machines as well. Handoff, Instant hotspot, and iOS<->OSX Airdrop now fully work. I've tested it with Yosemite GM (14A379a).

Hey guys, so the post 609 above only works for macbook air and mini? Can someone point me to a tutorial for macbook pro 2011 with changed airport card to have bt 4.0

PS running GM2:D

teusxvc

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Hi, I've a Mac Mini Mid 2011 i5 with support for Bluetooth 4.0LE.
I've followed all the guides to modify the kext but still do not have the option of activation in settings-> General .. where the hell am I wrong? I read around that it requires a wifi a / b / g / n / ac which I don't have ... that can be the cause? this is the screen that gives me the system information:

attachment.php

I've replaced the Mac in IO80211Family.kext with mine (Mac-8ED6AF5B48C039E1)
I've modified in IOBluetoothFamily.kext MacBookAir 4,1 etc... with MacBookAir 1,1
What I've to do? I'm literally going crazy behind this thing..

Thank in advance for who can be helpful..

Attachments

• Schermata 2014-10-08 alle 14.14.12.png
    Schermata 2014-10-08 alle 14.14.12.png
    141 KB · Views: 2,036

zduhac

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
Great! I was able to get Handoff on my MBA 2011.
At this point the only thing that doesn't seem to work for me is AirDrop FROM iOS to Mac. I can send files from Mac TO iOS.

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Hi, I've a Mac Mini Mid 2011 i5 with support for Bluetooth 4.0LE.
I've followed all the guides to modify the kext but still do not have the option of activation in settings-> General .. where the hell am I wrong?
What I've to do? I'm literally going crazy behind this thing..
Thank in advance for who can be helpful..

Your wireless/bluetooth card should be fine. You shouldn't need to have a Wifi AC card to benefit from handoff, continuity etc.

First: As Lem3ssie (original tutorial poster) said, "read, then read, and when you're done reading then read again". A lot of people here -myself first- had to go through the tutorial multiple times to get it right. It's very easy to miss a detail with such long and technical tutorials. And until someone figures out a script to do the grunt work, we're stuck with tutorials.

While re-doing the tutorial, a couple of checks you can do:
1) Be very careful when tinkering with 0xED not to remove or add additional characters.
2) Make sure you added your board-id in the first and last appearences in the 4360 binary.
3) Make sure you modified all blacklisted Macs number to 1,1 in the IO80211Family.kext

Then, if this still doesn't work, I'd suggest to take a more systematic trial and error approach.
1) During the tutorial, reboot after deleting the original kexts.

If this doesn't work, try this:
1) Before putting the IO80211Family.kext into KextDrop, make a backup of it, and then delete IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4331.kext

If this doesn't work, try this:
1) Me or someone else could upload the working hacked binaries (I haven't hacked my GM2 yet). Put them in the their respective kexts, and pick up from step 23 in the tutorial.

Then please post your results. I hope you can get it working and we can pinpoint what went wrong.

----------

Hey guys, so the post 609 above only works for macbook air and mini? Can someone point me to a tutorial for macbook pro 2011 with changed airport card to have bt 4.0

PS running GM2:D

The tutorial you mentioned should work fine for MBPro's 2011.

alex2016g

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
UK
do the following
1. on your desktop press command+shift+g
2. type: /system/library/extensions/
3. find: IO80211Family.kext in the extensions folder and copy it to your desktop

So iv managed to delete my IO80211Family.kext from my computer completely, can anyone recommend how to get it back????

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
Can you send a text message using your mac to a non-imessage user?

well, that feature I never succeed.... and I don't care... 'cause I seldom send text message these days...

but other feature is OK. calls, continuity, airdrop~. So to me, its fully worked:)

i just re-check the continuity feature on apple's site.
https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/continuity/
Send any kind of text message from any of your devices.
Coming in October

it appears this feature is still under development...

I was able to get it to work. I tried texting someone on imessage and it say I couldn't and then I got a pop up asking if I wanted to do it and then i got a approval I had to do on my phone. Check imessage settings and your ios8 settings

Lem3ssie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
can you send me the same with my id?
my is
Mac-8ED6AF5B48C039E1

i've tried the tutorial step by step twice but nothing to do..

Download and unzip : http://we.tl/21hRrUP6E5

Delete IO80211Family.kext from /Systeme/Library/Extensions

Reboot, wifi is now dead.

Copy unzipped IO80211Family.kext to /Systeme/Library/Extensions

Terminal this :
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
Code:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Système/Bibliothèque/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
Code:
sudo chmod -R 644 /Système/Bibliothèque/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-caches

Reboot.

Look for Handoff check box in System Preferences.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the tip. When you were trying the various tutorials, did you try editing the first and last Mac board id in the AirPortBrcm4360 binary? I had a similar issue with my MacBook Air where the 4331 kept popping up, but putting my Mac board id as the last entry as well fixed it.

Yes, did both first and last. Had the same issues on both MBP and Mac mini, but cured it up real quick by temporarily trashing the 4331.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I have a 2011 MBA running Yosemite GM Candidate 2 and followed the tutorial. Everything seemed a success and I now get the option in the General System Preferences (set to enabled). AirDrop between my iPhone 5 (8.1 beta 2) and MBA works, but not handoff or instant hotspot. I have Handoff and Personal Hotspot enabled on my phone, Bluetooth enabled on both devices, connected to same WiFi. Any ideas?

Crazy, instantly after posting this I'm getting Handoff to work :p

Thanks very much for the tutorial!

Last edited:

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
Through the iPhone

Isn't SMS separate? I thought that would work through WiFi.

I think that's because for both SMS and phone calls, the Mac is connecting to the iPhone. So, it's making phone calls and sending SMS messages through the iPhone. That way you can still communicate with people who don't have smartphones. I would say it's so you can still communicate with people who don't have iPhones, but I'm sure Blackberry and Android users can get Skype.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.