Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
That's exactly right. Any incremental OS Updates (Eg. 10.10.1) will likely kill the mod.
It should only kill the mod if the updates update the kexts that were modded. durring the beta/preview period they didn't touch those at all (the modified dates never changed from first install) so there is a chance that updates won't kill the mods. Fingers crossed. You could always backup those kexts and drop them in if a update kills it.

fcbraji

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
It should only kill the mod if the updates update the kexts that were modded. durring the beta/preview period they didn't touch those at all (the modified dates never changed from first install) so there is a chance that updates won't kill the mods. Fingers crossed. You could always backup those kexts and drop them in if a update kills it.

Nice to know!
I am just really happy that you guys worked it out. Really good effort, and a big pat on the back for all of you.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Now that we know the mac air mid 2011 is capable of using handoff surely Apple will just allow it to be included when Yosemite ships

A cheerful thought from the "glass half full" society.

This is Apple we are talking about. Their motto is "when in doubt, kneecap old machines to sell new ones".

If you follow this from early Yose days, all it needed at first was BT 4.0. When it became obvious that the MBA from 2011. (cheap seats model) was therefore going to have features a 2012 MBP would not. (season ticket holder)

So, they quickly changed the output from USB section to let everyone forget it ever worked.

Then they required that it load a WiFi AC kext. (note, it is a WiFi AC kext but running older "N" WiFi, had to justify the "AC" part when they weren't shipping ANY mobile WiFi ac devices)

Note that the USB section has ton back to early DP1 look, but now it needs that 94360 kext oared to get the magical 3 "yes" vote.

Standard Apple kneecapping. Any given machine is better than sliced bread, until it is an older model, then it needs to be replaced....POST HASTE !!!!

bulatovic

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011)

Hi everyone thanks for a great tutorial,

i can confirm that this work on my MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011) and what i did only is that i make fresh install of Yosemite GM and everything is working now!

Thanks again for a great tutorial

rob3r7o

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
MacBook Pro 2010 + airport BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX

After many, many tests, I made a small step forward.
I have now airdrop working from macbook to iphone 5.
I can load the kext 4360

But still nothing handoff in system preferences / general
and in the info bluetooth I have: yes, no, no.

I keep trying.....

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
Decided to take one for the team and installed GM Candidate 2.0 to see if it affects the kext mods to get handoff working on 2011 MBAs. It appears the kexts were updated–Both IO80211Family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext files now sport 10/5/14 3:00pm timestamps. Handoff missing again from the General System Preferences. Going to try the tutorial in Post #609 again.

kollross

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011)

I was able to get this working.....for a while. The hand off from MacbookAir to iphone5 worked flawlessly. The handoff between iphone5 to MacbookAir worked for a few minutes then stopped working. After many reboots of both devices and sing in/out of iCloud I have yet to get the handoff from iphone5 to MacbookAir.

Interestingly I just installed Beta5 a few minutes ago. And the handoff option in Preferences on MacbookAir is gone again.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Decided to take one for the team and installed GM Candidate 2.0 to see if it affects the kext mods to get handoff working on 2011 MBAs. It appears the kexts were updated–Both IO80211Family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext files now sport 10/5/14 3:00pm timestamps. Handoff missing again from the General System Preferences. Going to try the tutorial in Post #609 again.

Yeah it updated the kexts, I kept a copy of the kext that I modified so I just had to drop them back in run the 2 terminal commands and restart and it was running again.

----------

I was able to get this working.....for a while. The hand off from MacbookAir to iphone5 worked flawlessly. The handoff between iphone5 to MacbookAir worked for a few minutes then stopped working. After many reboots of both devices and sing in/out of iCloud I have yet to get the handoff from iphone5 to MacbookAir.

Interestingly I just installed Beta5 a few minutes ago. And the handoff option in Preferences on MacbookAir is gone again.
If you do an update that effects those kext files you have to do them over again unless you have a backup of them

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
What commands did you have to redo and what files?

After updating to the new releases the IO80211family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext needed to be redone.
Then I ran these terminal commands
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
restarted and it worked fine again

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
After updating to GM Candidate 2.0, I went through the tutorial again got Handoff working again.

Even though I had a copy of the modified kexts that I used for GM Candidate 1.0, I wanted to see if anything was changed in the process.

While going through the process, I noticed a couple of things:

The updated IO80211Family.kext already had my MBA2011 board-id as the first and last IDs listed as described in the tutorial. Because of this, I did not have to modify the IO80211Family.kext.

The updated IOBluetooth.kext reverted the MacBookAir model IDs back to 4,1 5,1, 5,2 etc... I had to change them back to 1,1 as listed in the tutorial and used Kext Drop-install method.

Then I ran the kextcache commands and restarted. Handoff was back in my General System Preferences.

zoff

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2010
I just updated to GM Candidate 2.0 and Handoff, AirDrop, and phone calling from the Mac (sorry don't remember what its called) all work. I didn't change anything, just did the update, the Mac restarted and everything still works!

15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

PS: Sorry I didn't fully explain. I had previously installed a supported BT/Wi-Fi card and followed UncleSchnitty's instruction to modify the kext. My point is that I didn't have to change anything between GM1 and GM2.

Last edited:

kollross

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
After updating to the new releases the IO80211family.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext needed to be redone.
Then I ran these terminal commands
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
restarted and it worked fine again

I reused my existing patched .kext files and re-ran the terminal and everything is working again.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Managed to get this working a bit more reliably/easily with these instructions I put together. Confirmed AirDrop 2.0 and Handoff working on 2011 MBP 17", with AirDrop 2.0 working on Mac mini, though not displaying an option to enable Handoff in System Preferences.

This doesn't work for me at all? When I try dragging the modified IO kext file to System/Library/Extensions, it spits this error:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

What am I doing wrong?

The19th

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
NorCal
This doesn't work for me at all? When I try dragging the modified IO kext file to System/Library/Extensions, it spits this error:

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

What am I doing wrong?

This is where Kext Drop is useful. Dragging modified kexts into the /System/Library/Extensions folder won't have the right permissions and will fail other checks that prompt this message to appear.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007

What am I doing wrong?
use the terminal command
Code:
sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
then use the app kext drop. Those two things will help with permissions and signatures of modified kexts

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Okay, now I feel sorta like a fool. I have a 2011 MBP 13" with the BT card that came with the computer (2011, so 2.1?). Would those instructions not work and only would apply to those who manually replace the BT card in those laptops?

Bigpearl

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
I just updated to GM Candidate 2.0 and Handoff, AirDrop, and phone calling from the Mac (sorry don't remember what its called) all work. I didn't change anything, just did the update, the Mac restarted and everything still works!

15" Early 2011 MacBook Pro.

mines too

asriznet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2013
Singapore
GM2.0 work 15' MBP 2011
+1
everything works while kext file remain modded.
but when i check the kextstat under terminal
only 4360 kext load, 4331 kext went away.... but everything works....

Can you send a text message using your mac to a non-imessage user?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.