Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It's exist, I saw it on an electronics site last year, seems very limited offering few people aware it's exists (at 40.000$ no idea who will purchase) . I remember it to be igzo and 21-22" at these moment didn't realize it could be aimed later to an iMac.

It seems far more likely that your source is confused about the panel size.

dubydoo

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2014
Despite no link to 21" version, actually sharp go beyond and it's delivering 4K@15.6“ IGZO, since they can and actually Apple besides it's most important customer also own an important skate on SHARP you can trust they have made it.

http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/130927.html

You really don't want there to be a 5k imac or first party Apple monitor, do you. You're all over the forum trying to convince everyone how far fetched an idea that is.

Does it have anything to do with you owning a Asus 4k monitor?

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
You really don't want there to be a 5k imac or first party Apple monitor, do you. You're all over the forum trying to convince everyone how far fetched an idea that is.

Does it have anything to do with you owning a Asus 4k monitor?
I really enjoy my asus 4K HiDpi, i lost my 2nd Mac (a MacBook Pro) I don't want another laptop so I'm interested either on an new mini or iMac with retina display.

All the discussion started on the unlikely to have an 5K iMac, and why the only iMac feasible hardware only enabled upto 4K and that some speculation lacks sense.

Now we have solid evidence no 5K capable gpu is available (at least one you can fit into an iMac), and we catch why spreaded the 5K rumours.

And while not evident but very feasible sharp has ready some 4K 21" panel.

Since Apple is driven by money and not the interest of few bloggers, comes with sense Apple launching only an 4K iMac 21 ditching it's bigger counterpart, as they did with the retina MacBook Pro and due the same technical reasons.

What do you think about all those *analyst* predicting an 5K iMac, they only live from traffic no matter the BS they public.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Despite no link to 21" version, actually sharp go beyond and it's delivering 4K@15.6“ IGZO, since they can and actually Apple besides it's most important customer also own an important skate on SHARP you can trust they have made it.

http://www.sharp-world.com/corporate/news/130927.html

What types of panels Sharp can manufacture really has no bearing on this discussion. Even if Sharp had 21" 4K IGZO panels shipping in volume for $500, I'd be surprised if Apple launched a new iMac (Macintosh) with the only retina option being a 21" display... But I guess we will all know soon enough.

----------

why no 5k imac?

There's no technical reason however the challenge with driving a 5K display is the bandwidth it takes to drive that many pixels at an acceptable colour depth and refresh rate.

However, A 5K display can easily be split in half electronically and treated as a pair of displays each driven by one output on a GPU. Thus any GPU with a pair of DP 1.2 outputs could do the job. The only potential knocks against this approach includes:
- Splitting the display into two halves would be a kludge that would be very unlike Apple.
- It would mean a similar stand alone TB Display would need a pair of TB ports/cables to drive it which would limit its appeal.

The other option for driving a 5K display is to simply reduce the bandwidth required by lowering the refresh rate from a typical 60HZ to perhaps 50HZ or 48HZ or something.

I wouldn't give up hope entirely on 5K, but it's certainly more of a stretch than 4K.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
What types of panels Sharp can manufacture really has no bearing on this discussion. Even if Sharp had 21" 4K IGZO panels shipping in volume for $500, I'd be surprised if Apple launched a new iMac (Macintosh) with the only retina option being a 21" display... But I guess we will all know soon enough.

----------

There's no technical reason however the challenge with driving a 5K display is the bandwidth it takes to drive that many pixels at an acceptable colour depth and refresh rate.

However, A 5K display can easily be split in half electronically and treated as a pair of displays each driven by one output on a GPU. Thus any GPU with a pair of DP 1.2 outputs could do the job. The only potential knocks against this approach includes:
- Splitting the display into two halves would be a kludge that would be very unlike Apple.
- It would mean a similar stand alone TB Display would need a pair of TB ports/cables to drive it which would limit its appeal.

The other option for driving a 5K display is to simply reduce the bandwidth required by lowering the refresh rate from a typical 60HZ to perhaps 50HZ or 48HZ or something.

I wouldn't give up hope entirely on 5K, but it's certainly more of a stretch than 4K.

Obviously Apple controls much better leaks related to its Mac lines, when the Mac Pro arrived was an total surprise it's form factor (few expected an minimalist super computer like the original cube thanks Ive for switching the cube to an cylinder).

One of the points of control of Apple must be Obviously the LCD panel, once it it's know the whole surprise it's gone, I suspect Apple injected the 5K iMac rumour so the usual wistbowler bite the bait and help spreading the false assertion, then surprise surprise the retina iMac it's 4K and 21.5"...

Today my personal Apple wistblower reconfirmed me the 4K iMac 21 having totally new keyboard/TouchPad combo wireless and Rechargeable with back light (I'll get two of these). NO 27" iMac neither retina cinema display, Apple will sold separately and 3rd party 5K display Mac Pro only compatible.

Insist also the announcement of the 12 rMBP but not available soon, or as early as on December 15.

All other stuff w/o surprises renewed iPad, he is not sure about the 12“ iPad but if announced unlikely to be immediately available.

The big star next Thursday keynote will be the new Macintosh 21 4K, believes will be a shocker product as the nMacPro last year.

As for the mac mini, while an new mini is coming he believes will not be available this year, but still maybe an little surprise about.

No word on the xMac Pro, only confirm 6 core Xeon ddr4 as new base Mac Pro, but loves the idea of an Haswell-E / dual nVidia 9xx xMac.

Last edited:
a 5K iMac on 980M/Haswell dont worth the money, I'll prefer to wait until Skylake at least to go 5K on iMac 27.

sounds very sensible - but i am really struggling with my rMBP13 and deel ultrasharp screen. My work requirements are just not suited for the rMBP.. it was only meant to tie me over as i was moving houses ever 3-6 months with work. Now that i am settled, i have been yearning for an imac - as i rarely take the rmbp out. I toyed with the idea of a mac-pro but it would be a total waste form my needs - total over-kill

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
sounds very sensible - but i am really struggling with my rMBP13 and deel ultrasharp screen. My work requirements are just not suited for the rMBP.. it was only meant to tie me over as i was moving houses ever 3-6 months with work. Now that i am settled, i have been yearning for an imac - as i rarely take the rmbp out. I toyed with the idea of a mac-pro but it would be a total waste form my needs - total over-kill
I'm sure you'll be happy with the new iMac whatever it is, there is always something mysterious and awesome around the corner. Sky-whatever is going to be an incremental update to Intel CPUs like all the previous ones, it is not going to be something worth waiting for a year. It is also unlikely to have impact on high-res performance as that is GPU-bound, not CPU.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the new iMac whatever it is, there is always something mysterious and awesome around the corner. Sky-whatever is going to be an incremental update to Intel CPUs like all the previous ones, it is not going to be something worth waiting for a year. It is also unlikely to have impact on high-res performance as that is GPU-bound, not CPU.

Right that's convinced me

Amex is charged and ready

- bye bye £2K :p

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
One of the points of control of Apple must be Obviously the LCD panel, once it it's know the whole surprise it's gone, I suspect Apple injected the 5K iMac rumour so the usual wistbowler bite the bait and help spreading the false assertion, then surprise surprise the retina iMac it's 4K and 21.5"...

Today my personal Apple wistblower reconfirmed me the 4K iMac 21 having totally new keyboard/TouchPad combo wireless and Rechargeable with back light (I'll get two of these). NO 27" iMac neither retina cinema display, Apple will sold separately and 3rd party 5K display Mac Pro only compatible.

There are so many things wrong in this post that it's going to be a hilarious read on Thursday.

I will take the reporting of ex-WSJ, now Recode journalist John Paczkowski any day over a guy on a Mac forum who claims to have a "personal Apple wistblower [sic]" passing juicy scoops to him. Guys like Paczkowski don't rely on whistleblowers for their scoops - their anonymous sources are Apple PR or corporate honchos who strategically and selectively "leak" info to their favored news contacts like Paczkowski. But don't take my word for it, let's revisit whose predictions and reporting proved more accurate in two days' time.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
Obviously Apple controls much better leaks related to its Mac lines, when the Mac Pro arrived was an total surprise it's form factor (few expected an minimalist super computer like the original cube thanks Ive for switching the cube to an cylinder).

Insist also the announcement of the 12 rMBP but not available soon, or as early as on December 15.

All other stuff w/o surprises renewed iPad, he is not sure about the 12“ iPad but if announced unlikely to be immediately available.

The big star next Thursday keynote will be the new Macintosh 21 4K, believes will be a shocker product as the nMacPro last year.

As for the mac mini, while an new mini is coming he believes will not be available this year, but still maybe an little surprise about.

No word on the xMac Pro, only confirm 6 core Xeon ddr4 as new base Mac Pro, but loves the idea of an Haswell-E / dual nVidia 9xx xMac.

yes this is so full of crap you will need wings to fly out of it....wait until thursday...

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Today my personal Apple wistblower reconfirmed me the 4K iMac 21 having totally new keyboard/TouchPad combo wireless and Rechargeable with back light (I'll get two of these). NO 27" iMac neither retina cinema display, Apple will sold separately and 3rd party 5K display Mac Pro only compatible. .

I'd be shocked if Apple first put a high-res screen on the 21" iMac. Not that there's anything wrong with a 21" display, but people who are willing to pay a premium for Retina are much more likely to want at least 27". I have a 24" monitor at work and it feels cramped compared to my 27" iMac at home. As for the new keyboard, I wouldn't be interested in one without a numerical keypad, which would make the device quite wide if retained. I also don't see much value in backlighting, which is less likely to be useful with a desktop computer compared to a laptop.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I'd be shocked if Apple first put a high-res screen on the 21" iMac. Not that there's anything wrong with a 21" display, but people who are willing to pay a premium for Retina are much more likely to want at least 27". I have a 24" monitor at work and it feels cramped compared to my 27" iMac at home. As for the new keyboard, I wouldn't be interested in one without a numerical keypad, which would make the device quite wide if retained. I also don't see much value in backlighting, which is less likely to be useful with a desktop computer compared to a laptop.

Turn off backlit if you don't need.

I've an 4K monitor and moving to retina to 21" seems natural.

Only way it's possible Apple to launch a 27“ retina model before the 21" is such iMac 27 having only 4K resolution, and thus moving the smaller 21 to an qhd requiring not only an all new display but further osx interface development ti address scaling property, while sharp is plenty capable to mass produce IGZO 4K display at 21“.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
There are so many things wrong in this post that it's going to be a hilarious read on Thursday.

I will take the reporting of ex-WSJ, now Recode journalist John Paczkowski any day over a guy on a Mac forum who claims to have a "personal Apple wistblower [sic]" passing juicy scoops to him. Guys like Paczkowski don't rely on whistleblowers for their scoops - their anonymous sources are Apple PR or corporate honchos who strategically and selectively "leak" info to their favored news contacts like Paczkowski. But don't take my word for it, let's revisit whose predictions and reporting proved more accurate in two days' time.
My source is not wrong on no iMac 27 5K yet, but right on the smaller just not 21, but 23.8 4k.(i admit he never told me the exact size) , only the smaller iMac will be the first, today he give me final details : new Macintosh: 23.8" igzo 4k2k resolution sdd only dGPU optional (base version with i5/iris pro gpu), all new keyboard/touch pad combo.

Some *journalist* will kill their *sources* soon.

----------

I admit Im wrong on the screen size, new Macintosh to be 23.8 4k2k ssd only base model i5+iris pro, top Model i7+nVidia 980m; ssd only, soldered ram. Take that...

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Yeah, I agree with you now. I no longer expect to see a 5k iMac. It just doesn't seem like the right time for it.

I can't find any info on there being any 21 inch 4k panels. (I looked but I don't see a Sharp 21 inch 4k anywhere.)

Here is a website that lists all existing panels, even if they aren't being used in products yet. There isn't a single 21 inch 4k on the list.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Maybe it will be a single 24 inch (23.8 inch) to replace both 21.5 and 27?
You where right, apple to use 23.8 4096x2160 on the new Macintosh, finally specifications are as follows:

Apple Macintosh L14:

IGZO 23.8 4096x2160
Pcie ssd only (actually Intel m.2 on propertary Apple only implementation).
Cpu/gpu base model: i5-iris pro 5200.
Top choice bto: i7+nVidia 980m.

Maybe an *retina* cinema display at all: 27" 4k only.

And finally Apple to sell non Apple brand 5k3k for the new mac pro.

That's all, let see that tomorrow what's happening..

Turn off backlit if you don't need.

I've an 4K monitor and moving to retina to 21" seems natural.

Only way it's possible Apple to launch a 27“ retina model before the 21" is such iMac 27 having only 4K resolution, and thus moving the smaller 21 to an qhd requiring not only an all new display but further osx interface development ti address scaling property, while sharp is plenty capable to mass produce IGZO 4K display at 21“.

Agree

I am liking the sound of a 4k IGZO screen - i guess 24" would not be so bad, as i have a 2nd monitor - dell ultrasharp 27".

Also, i would most definitely welcome a backlit keyboard! I do a lot of typing and this would be perfect! PS inductive charging as a standard

mjohansen

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Denmark
You where right, apple to use 23.8 4096x2160 on the new Macintosh, finally specifications are as follows:

Apple Macintosh L14:

IGZO 23.8 4096x2160
Pcie ssd only (actually Intel m.2 on propertary Apple only implementation).
Cpu/gpu base model: i5-iris pro 5200.
Top choice bto: i7+nVidia 980m.

Maybe an *retina* cinema display at all: 27" 4k only.

And finally Apple to sell non Apple brand 5k3k for the new mac pro.

That's all, let see that tomorrow what's happening..

God I hope you are right about the 24'' iMac! With SSD + 980m => insta buy for me.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
To be honest it really makes sense if only the 21 inch imac gets a retina display.

Its the same as with the macbooks:

Apple announces retina macbook pro 13 and updates the classic ones everything available + retina macbook at higher price

retina macbooks drop in price and gets the 15 inch retina one because a while later those displays are way cheaper and the retina 15 inch panel makes sense

-> discontinues the classics.

with the imac:

introduce retina imac 21inch with some redesign, update (if there is anything to update right now) the old ones
Next year retina the 27 inch because the panel is available and discontinue the old ones expect maybe the 21 non-retina for smaller budged (like the one that came up this year)

As for the Thunderbolt display, that may not be the thing this year but I hope they start making smaller ones again. 24 inch for example like 4k@24inch

I much rather buy 2 24(everything between 21-24) inch displays than one 27

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
i have move from 27"qhd (u2711) to 24" 4k (up2414q) for 3 month.
i think 4k 24" is much more better than 27".

imo, retina imac will have only one display option 24".maybe $2299.
while they bump 21.5" and 27" some spec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.