Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
Just an observation but surely if apple were planning to use some custom AMD GPU in the new iMac they would at least have drivers in the almost final releases of Yosemite that we have now? So unless the card is based on the D500/D700 I can't see how they would go AMD.

On the other hand, the Nvidia 970/980 drivers are already present in Yosemite so there would be nothing to add/test as I assume a 980m would share these.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Just an observation but surely if apple were planning to use some custom AMD GPU in the new iMac they would at least have drivers in the almost final releases of Yosemite that we have now? So unless the card is based on the D500/D700 I can't see how they would go AMD.

On the other hand, the Nvidia 970/980 drivers are already present in Yosemite so there would be nothing to add/test as I assume a 980m would share these.
No, it is not uncommon for Apple to release a specific minor OSX build with new models with specific hardware support.

No, it is not uncommon for Apple to release a specific minor OSX build with new models with specific hardware support.

Good point i remember they doing this a number of times in the past.

If they truly release a 5K imac, with the nvidia 980m for a reasonable price, i would be extremely tempted - although i had planned to wait for broadwell.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome

If they truly release a 5K imac, with the nvidia 980m for a reasonable price, i would be extremely tempted - although i had planned to wait for broadwell.

a 5K iMac on 980M/Haswell dont worth the money, I'll prefer to wait until Skylake at least to go 5K on iMac 27.

Liffey

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010

Same here. I think I can hold out another year but my 09 iMac is showing its age.

ilan

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
a 5K iMac on 980M/Haswell dont worth the money, I'll prefer to wait until Skylake at least to go 5K on iMac 27.

I'm just an average user who's been waiting a while to get my first imac. What would I gain if I waited for Skylake?
Thanks!

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I'm just an average user who's been waiting a while to get my first imac. What would I gain if I waited for Skylake?
Thanks!
Descent Retina performance (at least an similar experience to that you get now on an rMBP 15 with dGPU).

Driving an 5K panel (twice pixel as 4K) with an nVidia 980m to me seems too underpowered, unless you only want to read email and surfer more less std Web sites.

Skylake on the other hands will deliver you Thunderbolt 3 (along displayport 1.3), you may not need TB3, but Dp1.3 it's mandatory if you want another 5K screen hooked to your Macintosh.

Ahh, what you mean as an average iMac user?

I don't see an 5K iMac until late 2015 as early, from what I VE research the 5K iMac rumour just started on September 12 when an report from an Chinese analyst was improperly translated (on the original never mention Apple to imminent launch an 5K iMac, but working on 4K and 5K and retina iMac, getting ready an response for new Dell 5K solution, never directly associated 5K and retina).

What I think we will see its an 4K iMac 27, with i7-4771 and nVidia 980m as top internals. And an 5K monitor targeted to the next Mac Pro (as they currently offer an 4K display from Sharp, this will be replaced by an 5K unit maybe from Sharp or LG - the same panel Dell is offering - at 3000$ or more.

While the 4K iMac sure will sell at same price as the qHD iMac 27 sells now.

I'm using 4k on my Mac Pro, and I'm very pleased with the details, never go back to qHD despite having more "desktop area" it's an no brainer.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK
Descent Retina performance (at least an similar experience to that you get now on an rMBP 15 with dGPU).

Driving an 5K panel (twice pixel as 4K) with an nVidia 980m to me seems too underpowered, unless you only want to read email and surfer more less std Web sites.

Skylake on the other hands will deliver you Thunderbolt 3 (along displayport 1.3), you may not need TB3, but Dp1.3 it's mandatory if you want another 5K screen hooked to your Macintosh.

Ahh, what you mean as an average iMac user?

I don't see an 5K iMac until late 2015 as early, from what I VE research the 5K iMac rumour just started on September 12 when an report from an Chinese analyst was improperly translated (on the original never mention Apple to imminent launch an 5K iMac, but working on 4K and 5K and retina iMac, getting ready an response for new Dell 5K solution, never directly associated 5K and retina).

What I think we will see its an 4K iMac 27, with i7-4771 and nVidia 980m as top internals. And an 5K monitor targeted to the next Mac Pro (as they currently offer an 4K display from Sharp, this will be replaced by an 5K unit maybe from Sharp or LG - the same panel Dell is offering - at 3000$ or more.

While the 4K iMac sure will sell at same price as the qHD iMac 27 sells now.

I'm using 4k on my Mac Pro, and I'm very pleased with the details, never go back to qHD despite having more "desktop area" it's an no brainer.

Please, have you seen the performance stats for the 980M? It will be more than adequate for driving a 4k/5k screen, just not for FPS gaming at full res (the same as previous iMacs), who cares, just reduce the res for gaming.

If you're thinking of waiting for skylake why stop there, something better will be along in 2018...then 2020...it's a pointless exercise when an iMac retina based on Haswell & a 980M will be more than capable.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Please, have you seen the performance stats for the 980M? It will be more than adequate for driving a 4k/5k screen, just not for FPS gaming at full res (the same as previous iMacs), who cares, just reduce the res for gaming.

If you're thinking of waiting for skylake why stop there, something better will be along in 2018...then 2020...it's a pointless exercise when an iMac retina based on Haswell & a 980M will be more than capable.
Wait next Thursday please.

Simple the (almost valid) hope for an 5K retina iMac means pushing hard the available technology, when everything just it's optimized for 4K (now almost ready for mainstream) , and 5K tech (both panels and gpu) just become visible at the horizon.

Being said last year we had better possibilities for an 4K iMac, instead the very long delayed update just bring us an slimmer iMac and the long anticipated 4K available only for the new mac pro (and very expensive).

I don't see real hurry on Apple to adopt 5K, and while there are market for 5K it's still small and surely will be served by the Mac Pro (2014) the iMac if updated will receive an 4K display (with the exception of current qhd 27 fans) will be very appreciated by 4K fans (as well retina fans) at HD the workplace isnt precisely bad (actually excellent) only if you really editing 4K would really want more (hook another 4K Cinema Display Retina that's all).

Has no sense to deliver an 4000$ 5k iMac only few users really need, while an 4K iMac would make happy more users and sold at same price as current models easy will profit much more for Apple, and those Early Adopters or hardcore Pros really requiring 5K (and having deep pockets) easy will pay for an 5K solution which indeed Mac Pro only compatible.

Late Next year (or mid 2016) it's when 5K, Thunderbolt 3, DisplayPort 1.3, and Skylake both will enable that mythical 5K retina iMac 27 and the retina iMac 21 (4k) as we want it to be.

puke

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
I predict that we won't see 5K-iMac this Thursday. Maybe not even 4K. 3K would be my guess. Ofcourse, I might have to eat my words on this...

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I believe we will see a spec bumped regular iMac with the 970/980m and then they will announce a retina iMac fot release later this year/2015.

Wouldnt that make the most sense given what hardware is available today?

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I predict that we won't see 5K-iMac this Thursday. Maybe not even 4K. 3K would be my guess. Ofcourse, I might have to eat my words on this...

Believe or not, today I received another rumour, one very different, and very consistent, I reserve my source but its very reliable.

Apple to ditch iMac 27, iMac Retina to arrive on 4K@21.5" only iMac to continue, along the non-retina iMac 21, specifications, same i7 haswell + nVidia 970m/980m. Also Ditchint iMac brand, new iMac maybe named Macintosh, space gray only, along all new wireless rechargable keyboard/touchpad with backligth (this is the best part of the rumour).

Apple to sell 3rd party 5K display iMac pro only compatible, iMac 27 may comeback Late 2015 on Apple's own 5K display.

MBA12 Annoucement Available December or January, multiple colors, 1080p.

No Mac Mini Update, but not dead, all new minis to arrive Q2'14

Minor updates to AirPort Extremme/timecapsule, as well an new form factor ATV with few improvements yet a bit cheaper

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Believe or not, today I received another rumour, one very different, and very consistent, I reserve my source but its very reliable.

Apple to ditch iMac 27, iMac Retina to arrive on 4K@21.5" only iMac to continue, along the non-retina iMac 21, specifications, same i7 haswell + nVidia 970m/980m. Also Ditchint iMac brand, new iMac maybe named Macintosh, space gray only, along all new wireless rechargable keyboard/touchpad with backligth (this is the best part of the rumour).

Apple to sell 3rd party 5K display iMac pro only compatible, iMac 27 may comeback Late 2015 on Apple's own 5K display.

Minor updates to AirPort Extremme/timecapsule, as well an new form factor ATV with few improvements yet a bit cheaper

I wouldn't be surprised if the 21.5-inch iMac was 4k or if they introduced a 24-inch 4k and held off on a 5k 27-inch iMac. That seems more reasonable than releasing a 4k 27-inch now and then updating it to 5k at a later date.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I wouldn't be surprised if the 21.5-inch iMac was 4k or if they introduced a 24-inch 4k and held off on a 5k 27-inch iMac. That seems more reasonable than releasing a 4k 27-inch now and then updating it to 5k at a later date.

Whatever, sounds more Apple-Like, remenber when introuced retina MacBook Pro they ditched the 17" model because there is no hardware capable to drive this screen size on retina resolution, today seems the same scenario, since we have no reliable leaks (or actually, no leaks) we only can speculate and waith until thursday.

zarf2007

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
London, UK

that would be rubbish.....using a 21" screen after getting used to a 27" is like watching a 14" tv.....if they do that then they will annoy a lot of people, where is the path to upgrade, and no way you would get existing 27" owners buying that and a separate 27" screen....your contact blows....

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
But the GTX 970 only needs around 140 watts - see a comparison here.

GTX970M draws at max around 65W of Power.

Dual GTX970M would burn down the single GTX970 and yet, draw less power.

On the topic:

My opinion is obvious, Only Maxwell GPUs can handle 5K. Radeons will be slower, way slower.

Dual D300 Fire Pro GPUs are only 10% faster than SINGLE GTX970M, and they draw tons of more power.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
that would be rubbish.....using a 21" screen after getting used to a 27" is like watching a 14" tv.....if they do that then they will annoy a lot of people, where is the path to upgrade, and no way you would get existing 27" owners buying that and a separate 27" screen....your contact blows....
Sorry for iMac 27 owners but iMac 21 owners base by far much bigger and surely will welcome the new Macintosh with more purchases than I'd it where an 5k iMac (5k both specification and price)

----------

970M or 980M in 21.5" factor? no way...to small form factor
Maybe but actually an minor problem when compared to build an 21" 4k panel, or drive an 5k panel with nVidia 980m...

Will you purchase the new Macintosh retina 21? I'm twice sure I'm purchasing it asap, twice sure than get in an 5k or 4k iMac 27.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Whatever, sounds more Apple-Like, remenber when introuced retina MacBook Pro they ditched the 17" model because there is no hardware capable to drive this screen size on retina resolution, today seems the same scenario, since we have no reliable leaks (or actually, no leaks) we only can speculate and waith until thursday.

I was actually agreeing with you. It would be better for Apple to release a smaller 4k iMac for cost reasons. :)

No 5K iMac, sorry nvidia GTX970m and 980M only 4K capable, despite the desktop verions actually are 5K capables.

AMD hasn nothin in the horizon 5K Capable, except dual D310.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8585/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980m-970m-mobile-maxwell-gm204/2

It can still be done with DisplayPort 1.2/Thunderbolt 2 and two 2560x2880 connections to the GPU.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Since this is Apple, let's be realistic...I bet they'd retain the nVidia 750M in a 5K iMac.:rolleyes:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
What GPU would a 5K iMac likely have?

The only problem with this is that there are 4K panels readily available in 24", 28", and 31.5". I've never heard of one at 21". Now of course, that doesn't preclude Apple from offering one, but it seems far more likely for them to adopt more mainstream 24" panels for a Retina 4K.

I could definitely see them going with a single size display for now, and again, 24" makes a lot more sense if your consolidating to a single screen size.

The "leak" about a third party 5K makes no sense what so ever as no Mac (Pro or otherwise) can drive it unless using dual TB2 which is unelegant and limiting. It makes a lot more sense to offer a 24" retina TB display that's easily driven by any Mac built with TB2.

Last edited:

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
It can still be done with DisplayPort 1.2/Thunderbolt 2 and two 2560x2880 connections to the GPU.

Internal panels are lvds only, I've never seen an dual lvds setup on the same panel, also os driver setup will be unusual.

I just reviewed all the *leaks*, and this seems what happened:

1) A year ago Sharp begins production of 21.5" 4K IGZO panel über-expensive for professional TV studio applications (an old strategy to test and new product before massive production).

2) 4K iMac rumour first appear at WWDC along with Yosemite wallpapers. Ni hint on new iMac sizes.

3) Some Chinese LCD market analyst on 9/12 suggest Apple releasing an retina iMac thus pushing 4K LCD panel demand, plus testing 5k products to response to Dell 5K display, somebody didn't translate it accurately which ended with the spread of the 5K iMac rumour.

4) nVidia releases GTX 9XX/9XXm gpu, few days later the drivers for those GPUs are included into Yosemite. It's well known iMac are loaded with nVidia mobile gpu.

5) despite its desktop counterpart support 5K, mobile version of the latest Maxwell gpu only go upto 4K,thus it's impossible to have an 5k iMac with nVidia mobile GPU.

6) as long I know no mainstream AMD gpu available support 5K, only latest workstation GPU are 5K capable ( D310 D510 D710).

In conclusion we could have upto 4K iMac (which ever it's size, I suspect sharp has now this igzo LCD 4k panel ready for 21" 4k iMac or new Macintosh). An 5K iMac will require either an Mac Pro (L14) or that mythical xMac with Haswell-E and nVidia GTX 970/980.

----------

The only problem with this is that there are 4K panels readily available in 24", 27", and 31.5". I've never heard of one at 21". Now of course, that doesn't preclude Apple from offering one, but it seems far more likely for them to adopt more mainstream 24" panels for a Retina 4K.

I could definitely see them going with a single size display for now, and again, 24" makes a lot more sense if your consolidating to a single screen size.

The "leak" about a third party 5K makes no sense what so ever as no Mac (Pro or otherwise) can drive it unless using dual TB2 which is unelegant and limiting. It makes a lot more sense to offer a 24" retina TB display that's easily driven by any Mac built with TB2.

Sharp has one 21" 4k IGZO on the Pro studio market sibce last year ridiculous expensive.

Hdmi 2 is 5K capable at 30hz, Mac Pro L14 will have it.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
In conclusion we could have upto 4K iMac (which ever it's size, I suspect sharp has now this igzo LCD 4k panel ready for 21" 4k iMac or new Macintosh). An 5K iMac will require either an Mac Pro (L14) or that mythical xMac with Haswell-E and nVidia GTX 970/980.

Yeah, I agree with you now. I no longer expect to see a 5k iMac. It just doesn't seem like the right time for it.

Sharp has one 21" 4k IGZO on the Pro studio market sibce last year ridiculous expensive.

Hdmi 2 is 5K capable at 30hz, Mac Pro L14 will have it.

I can't find any info on there being any 21 inch 4k panels. (I looked but I don't see a Sharp 21 inch 4k anywhere.)

Here is a website that lists all existing panels, even if they aren't being used in products yet. There isn't a single 21 inch 4k on the list.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Maybe it will be a single 24 inch (23.8 inch) to replace both 21.5 and 27?

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Yeah, I agree with you now. I no longer expect to see a 5k iMac. It just doesn't seem like the right time for it.

I can't find any info on there being any 21 inch 4k panels.

Here is a website that lists all existing panels, even if they aren't being used in products yet. There isn't a single 21 inch 4k on the list.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/monitor_panel_parts.htm

Maybe it will be a single 24 inch (23.8 inch) to replace both 21.5 and 27?
It's exist, I saw it on an electronics site last year, seems very limited offering few people aware it's exists (at 40.000$ no idea who will purchase) . I remember it to be igzo and 21-22" at these moment didn't realize it could be aimed later to an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.