Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
That's really cool - I'd love to have a desk like that. Maybe I'll get a couple of MacPro cases on eBay and make one.

Read it again, I thought the same thing on first read through.

wood board + 2 Mac pro = BENCH.

not tall enough to be a desk. It would take 4 Mac pro's to make a desk.

Geiger has carefully created a sitting bench using a carved wooden plank...The machining on the wood is aligns the curve perfectly with the shape of the Power Mac chassis.

Not sure where the "careful crafting" comes in.

Mill slots in the top of the Mac pro = 5 minutes.

"Carved wooden plank"? forget that. Size it with the tablesaw, run that sucker through my planer to smooth it out, and router the edges. No "carving" required. 10 minutes tops. 20 min if I go cheap and don't buy a wide enough piece of 8/4 mahogany... than I would have to joint and glue the edges of a 2 or 3 planks to get it wide enough.

Slap a coat of varnish on it and you are down. Congrats, you have take something that was pleasantly industrial and made a hideous blend of modern and archaic.

no accounting for tastes. Not what I call "careful craftsmanship".

Last edited:

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
A friend of mine bought a broken G5 of mine just so he could have the case for his gaming PC.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The table would be acceptable if the legs had been converted into current PCs.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
My friend made me a pretty cool clock out of a G3 as a gift to me. I love it.

Those desks would be a little short if they are made out of towers though wouldn't they?

shiekh

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
How sad... I have a G5 PowerMac that remains my main machine at home, and hopefully will continue to do so for some time to come.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
It would take 4 Mac pro's to make a desk.

Yeah I totally got that wrong. The dimensions of the G5 won't work well for the typical desk height, but would still make for some interesting studio techie furniture in my recording studio.

I've been wanting to use a gutted case as a small subwoofer for some time now. It could turn out really well.

I like this idea.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Here is the new Mac Pro in 10 years. As you can see, there is little modification necessary to upcycle. Though it won't hold much garbage, you can use it to finally pitch that ancient iPhone 6 Plus that has been gathering dust for years!

This looks so d***chey lol. I got a chuckle though.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
The file cabinet/storage idea looks to be the best, besides the fact that the draw space itself looks a little limited. I feel the worst would be a bench. Not only do these cases get scratched up, etc., but the feet esp. get bent because they are weak aluminum. It will take one larger person to kill them. I think cabinet variations are the best... now we just have to get stupid recycling companies to stop scrapping things for their "recycling" purposes.

Last edited:

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
A bit of a stereotype but...

... here's one of our three G4 PMs we quite literally use as doorstops.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 76

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Missed opportunity

A year or two ago I dropped off some electronics at a local eWaste collection event. Right in front of the pile was a Power Mac. I thought about asking if I could take it, but wimped out thinking it would be too much work to get it running. Now I wish I had.

jscooper22

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
Syracuse, NY
I love old Computers

I have an Apple ][+ (1982) in pieces in my garage. At last boot-up about four years ago DOS 3.3 System Master still worked.

Needs a new keyboard card though (I have all the keycaps). I scour ebay/craigslist other boards for parts every so often; no luck yet but I'm not giving up.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Nice, I have six Power Mac G5s doing nothing in the storage. I'll make a coffee table and maybe a computer desk out of them!

Looking at the G5 under my desk, the fact that it is _under_ my desk might give a hint that a desk made from two G5s as in the photo is much too low to be used as a desk. I'd say a nice idea, and nice photos, but at least that one is of no practical use.

Unfortunately Apple isn't selling the MacMini with quad core processor anymore. You could have emptied the G5, filled it up with four dozen Mac Minis, and got the most powerful Mac in the world.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
This is kinda cool, but I think the PowerMac G5 case is better suited as a housing for a new, unnecessarily powerful computer (as many have used it for on YouTube).

Yeah, they're great for a Hackintosh - though it's a pita to deal with the non-standard mounting points unless you have the right tools.

Using Apple's desktop masterpiece for a filing cabinet is just wrong. Sacrilege. That so-called designer deserves to be hanged by his nuts.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I love wood. I also love PowerMacs - I have 4 in the attic waiting for a project that will probably never happen.

However, this one - dear god NO. The textures and colours clash. It frankly looks hideous. My 16-year old self would probably like this, however I'm not 16 any more; Likewise, I no longer wear yellow ties with blue shirts, which produces about the same tonal clash as this project does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.