Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Tell them to press credit and hold your phone up. That all they have to do on their end and see for yourself. Had to do this for my lunch today.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I was at Panera Bread yesterday and asked about using Apple Pay. The girl looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, had no idea what I was talking about. She brought the manager out, who also had no idea. I said I'll just try it, and put my phone close to the NFC reader, and it started beeping and it worked. They were still talking about it as I walked off with my order.

My point is I bet the workers just don't know. I'll try it everywhere I see NFC capable equipment.

Yeah I've learned to keep my mouth shut...if you say something too advanced then you might actually just screw yourself...Sorta like the saying better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission....Just Do It (Like Nike!)

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Average age of fast food workers is 29. What are they supposed to do if that's all they're able to get in the current job market?

Move in with their parents.

----------

Blame your stupid ass system for not allowing career advancement.

----------

Wow...job market is cut throat, you can't just ****ing make a job appear with the snap of your fingers. Think man THINK!

Then move back in with your parents if you can't find a real job.

markthrash

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Texass
I guess I speak on behalf of working with customer service...

Yes, they might have the terminal to do so, but it still needs to be set up both hardware wise and software wise. In addition to the actual register terminals themselves. It's very likely that they aren't victimizing anyone and telling the truth that hey, their system isn't working yet.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I guess I speak on behalf of working with customer service...

Yes, they might have the terminal to do so, but it still needs to be set up both hardware wise and software wise. In addition to the actual register terminals themselves. It's very likely that they aren't victimizing anyone and telling the truth that hey, their system isn't working yet.

Well Apple Pay is supposed to be transparent to the terminal. If it accepts NFC (which as far as I'm aware, all McDonalds do today), it will accept Apple Pay

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
I ordered and told the cashier I'd like to use Apple Pay. She said, "Oh we don't take that yet. I wish we did." There was another customer behind me so I didn't press. When I was waiting for my food the manager was in front of me tending to something so I asked her about it. She said, "Oh I don't think our system is updated for it yet. It will be soon."

Anyone want to weigh in here? A lot of misinformation and poor information around about Apple Pay.

how is that miss information. they both said they do not take it "yet". McDonalds and hundreds of thousands of location. give it time, Apple Pay just rolled out. just wait for them to update.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Anyone hoping Apple allows for more NFC stuff like Android does where you can have NFC patches in your car, home, etc that are programmed to turn on wifi, bluetooth, lights, etc...?
Me. I am. Like tech-tiles.

Also, both of my local McD's have NFC readers outside of the Windows. So do all the Tim Hortons.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Move in with their parents.

----------

Then move back in with your parents if you can't find a real job.

Mcdonalds IS a real job.

What if they left their parents because they couldn't deal with them? Parents couldn't financially support them?

dan.synergy

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Balmore
What ever happened to radical self reliance?
What have we learned so far?

Strategy #1
Don't ask the clerk if they take Apple Pay; instead, know how to identify an NFC reader and attempt usage on your own. If Payment using iPhone / Apple Watch fails, then move to strategy #2

Strategy #2
Bust out a CC and do what you have been doing for years.

Do you go to McDonald's and ask if they take VISA or MC? NO! You just see that there is a device that you are familiar in using to swipe cards and do it... sometimes you even swipe your CC before the clerk is ready. Admit it, it has happened to you just as much as everyone else...

So why is this any different? You wanted to be an early adopter of emerging technology, so go out there into the world and just be confident about your actions, walk the walk and don't be afraid of embarrassment if it doesn't work as expected.

Expecting some random clerk to know how to please your technological idiosyncrasies is ridiculous during the initial stages of something like this, don't be silly.

*KID*

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Boston, MA
You know, I work retail.

If NFC works for everything including APple Pay, I could easily see the stores not mentioning it to their employees (you guys seem to think there is this ideal where stores bother training their employees much rather than just letting them figure it out, especially when we are talking about one change to the system). I mean that wasn't what they were hired for (even if working for Apple or Best Buy, they are hired for the people skills and ability to persuade people. Retail doesn't hire you to be an expert in what they sell, in fact in some ways it is bad for them cause they can't convince you to sell things they want you to sell). And there are plenty of people young and old who are confused or don't like it.

So when you say Apple Pay you confuse them into thinking it is something different than normal (because they've never heard of it even if they've been taking phone payments). I bet if they've already been taking payments by phone, if you just ask if you can pay by your phone they would much more likely be able to say, "yes".

I think some of you should go back to working retail, you are living in your own bubble and have no understanding that not everyone has the same interests as you so they aren't paying attention to stuff like this.

Oh, and for those asking, "They want 15 dollars for this?" Well yes, they want a living wage vs. one they can't even really make a living off of. They are taking their time to do something that they don't find fun, of course they want to get paid enough at least to get by on! On top of that, retail isn't just about working the cash registers, it's about dealing with people. And let me tell you, not everyone has that skill. And it isn't about how smart you are, it's about how patient you are. And how well you can communicate. My BF who is an engineer at Boeing fully admits he can't do retail, he simply doesn't have the patience with people enough to do it. You have to put up with a lot of *******s. And trust me, you get to see how stupid people are when working retail too (it goes both ways). Except the stupid people blame you when they can't understand something and you can't act all snotty to them like the customers will to you, you still gotta help them with a smile and try to explain stuff to them without acting like they are stupid. Or sometimes dealing with people who already assume you're stupid just cause you are working retail (without even giving you a chance). And sometimes they are the ones being the stupid ones on top of that! (and no, I'm not saying there aren't stupid retail workers either. But it shows your arrogance when you assume that they are working retail they must be stupid or not worth paying much/at least a living wage).

I feel for you. I really do. There are times however, when I've been greeted by some frowny faced cashier or ignored and then you seem like you're bothering people to do what they are being paid to do which is wait on the customer not talk on your cell, talk to your friends, txt your boyfriend, etc.
I don't think those people are "stupid" - I think they should find another job because they aren't good at the one they have & certainly don't deserve a raise. Not ALL but some.

I do agree that they probably aren't as up to the minute with apple pay and other advances so - have a little patience people. It's really not the end of the world to pay the old fashioned way.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You sound like someone who hasn't lived through a day of real hardship in your life.

You'll find that a lot of the people who HAVE worked their way through hardship to get to a better life are the ones with the least sympathy for those who prefer to whine about how unfair the world is when their bad decisions come home to roost.

(and they're also often the first to lend a helping hand to those striving to get out of a bad situation; a helping hand mind you, not a handout to those who just wallow in self pity)

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Then get a job that isn't meant for teenagers and 70 year olds.
It's not the 1950s anymore, grandpa. Have you gotten up from your computer lately? Take a look at who is actually filling the service jobs when you're buying your gas and your food and your products. Hint: it's not Norman Rockwell teens making a few bucks before swim practice.

Your idea of who these jobs are "intended" for is irrelevant and out of touch — they're being filled by people who need employment, period. I know it's inconvenient for your thinking, but a lot of these people have *gasp* families to support, and they can't do it on wages that have, after inflation, dropped precipitously over the last few decades.

But by all means, please sit there at your keyboard and tell us all about who should be working where and why people who work service jobs should be paid poverty wages.

Last edited:

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
how is that miss information. they both said they do not take it "yet". McDonalds and hundreds of thousands of location. give it time, Apple Pay just rolled out. just wait for them to update.

Because according to everyone else they are wrong. (read the thread)

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
It's not the 1950s anymore, grandpa. Have you gotten up from your computer lately? Take a look at who is actually filling the service jobs when you're buying your gas and your food and your products.

Your idea of who these jobs are "intended" for is irrelevant and out of touch — they're being filled by people who need employment, period. I know it's inconvenient for your thinking, but a lot of these people have *gasp* families to support, and they can't do it on wages that have, after inflation, dropped precipitously over the last few decades.

But by all means, please sit there at your keyboard and tell us all about who should be working where and why people who work service jobs should be paid poverty wages.

All I hear is "Life is hard. Give me more money for doing brainless work."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.