Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Yes there was. I actually sold the phones and the TRS80 in the 70's working part time at Radio Shack while in the service. We've come quite a way. Not sure what everyone including teenagers did back then without their phones--;)

I remember a TRS80 early adopter. It was a small music store and people totally not into instruments/sheet music would come in and ask to see his computer. The proud store owner would forget he was in a music store and become the world's most awesome TRS80 salesman! It was the first in my town that I can remember and my dad was one of those who had to pay a special visit to see this marvel of technology.

The TRS80 should have been used much more but this lone store did just fine and the local papers did stories on him. He was the future and now it's hard to imagine any small store in town without a computer/laptop. But I did expect all the other stores to follow suit with either the TRS or the Apple IIe but it just didn't happen. That being said, overall sales of both were impressive for things that did not have a market before.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
EMV Tokenization has nothing to do with the POS system via NFC (physical card transactions are another story).
Very true. However that's not what you wrote:
there is NOTHING special about Apple Pay compared to [...] Google Wallet. It's the EXACT same technology
Perhaps you meant to convey that the NFC/POS transport layer was the same and other parts were different, but that's not how your post reads.

Also,
with more security on how Apple holds the credit card information. That's it. Nothing else.

Apple doesn't hold the credit card information. See https://www.apple.com/privacy/docs/iOS_Security_Guide_Oct_2014.pdf
Full card numbers are not stored on the device or on Apple servers. Instead, a unique Device Account Number is created, encrypted, and then stored in the Secure Element. This unique Device Account Number is encrypted in such a way that Apple can’t access it.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Seems pretty cringe asking McDonalds employees if they accept 'Apple Pay'.

Rather than embarrasing yourself in front of the people behind you who probably want lunch, why don't you just whip out your debit card like everyone else in society?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Seems pretty cringe asking McDonalds employees if they accept 'Apple Pay'.

Rather than embarrasing yourself in front of the people behind you who probably want lunch, why don't you just whip out your debit card like everyone else in society?

so we should go about life caring what everyone else thinks and making our lives more difficult?

You know where you are right?

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
2 McDonald's staff today told me they don't take Apple Pay

This isn't a low pay problem this is working in a bureaucracy problem. If they say no and they are wrong, they plead ignorance and have not put themselves at risk. If they say yes and they are wrong, they are taking responsibility for an unconfirmed truth and can be punished for giving you incorrect information. They would be claiming a capability they may not have that you would then have the right to complain was then not available.

When dealing with at risk employees, you need to make the question as safe as possible. In this case, ask in the broadest sense possible: do you accept NFC payments or better yet, do your registers have a little wireless logo. They can then look for a logo and report what they see instead if what some machine they don't control can actually do.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
I read the OP's post as though he was just put through some great injustice in life. One day into Apple Pay and you're forced to pay the "old fashioned" way? Damn...my heart bleeds for you.

The employee may not have been trained on this or simply didn't get the whole Apple Pay thing. As others have stated, simply say you want to pay with your phone and leave Apple Pay out of the conversation. Retailers probably don't care what it is called as long as you pay.

As for bashing McDonald's employees; I've been fortunate to not have to work there, but I've worked fast food and as far as I know, I am far from an idiot.

No kidding. First world problems right?

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Or a place where MR members consistently hang out, but that appears to be the case with all the McDonalds posts.

Ya, I have to constantly remind myself, when it comes to tech, the world is an instant gratification nightmare. Maybe I am wrong, but it is disturbing the amount of people who expect things to work right away, and if they don't, shame on whoever. :confused:

sincere11105

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Okay, my comment was directed at the line staff expecting minimum wage to be raised to $15....most federal government law enforcement jobs start out at just above $15 an hour....

Relevance?

----------

I want to try it but I know I'll look like an idiot trying to flash my phone at the reader and it wont work

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Relevance?

----------

I want to try it but I know I'll look like an idiot trying to flash my phone at the reader and it wont work

Exactly.

Like mod said, we all have to try and keep politics out of it. I so want to chime in on our government, minimum wage, Obama versus Ted Cruz, etc, but that's for a different thread. Anyway, I heard there's this thing called Apple Pay, thoughts?

And and for McDonald's, did you know how much they gave to candidates on both sides? oops wrong thread!! ;)

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
The systems need to be updated to support the token-style payment system used in Apple Pay.

Their systems may not have been updated yet.

False.

I used Apple Pay at a Burger King last night to test it out. They do not have official Apple Pay support - it just worked.

Home Depot too.

Apple Pay works anywhere NFC payments are accepted.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Any NFC reader will accept it I believe. I bought some snacks from my school vending machine today using Apple Pay

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
My apologies for my political type comments. Back to the thread.

Anyone hoping Apple allows for more NFC stuff like Android does where you can have NFC patches in your car, home, etc that are programmed to turn on wifi, bluetooth, lights, etc...?

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I made McDonald's my career and I'm doing just fine.

Same with my wife. She's gone through ranks and is now an area supervisor and she makes the same amount of money I do and I've been a network admin for about 8 years. Actually she does a bit better because she also gets a free iphone, ipad, and car!

darkonex

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
I wish I could use it, it won't accept my Chase Visa, Discover IT, or Commerce Visa check card yet :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.