Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I'm having some difficulty as well with my 2006 MacPro 1,1, with a Radeon HD 6xxx card.

I've carefully made the USB stick twice, following the PDF instructions.
I've made sure that there are no shenanigans with the quotations marks.
I've tried both the black and grey versions of the boot.efi.

When I set the boot drive to the USB in System Preferences, I get a longer-than-normal boot but end up back on my Mavericks desktop. When I try booting and holding down the Option key, I get nothing (but I've never been able to see a boot screen in Mavericks).

RX2904

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2014
OS X Yosemite

Woooohoooooooooooooooooo!!!

Thanks to the SFOTT Beta I now run OS X Yosemite on my MacPro 2,1!
Yep, installed the official Public Release with the SFOTT Beta.

That thing is truly fool proof. Even I had no problem whatsoever.

No manual handling of efi files or putting machine IDs with wrong quotes anywhere. The SFOTT does everything for you. I just followed this and that's it:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1802986/

THANKS SO MUCH to EVERYONE involved!!! Most of all the SFOTT guy, Tiamo & Pike!

yosemite.jpg

PS: Not saying the PDF method doesn't work. I was just trying to walk the path of least resistance, the above link made it look so easy, I decided to give it a try and it worked for me.

Last edited:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Alright, I have succeeded in making my installer. Currently installing on my Mac Pro 1,1 here at work, and I will do the Xserve in about an hour. Thanks to everyone that helped, with a special thanks (and $20) to Piker-Alpha for the work on the boot.efi and a thank you to Hennesie2000 for the Xserve Board-ID. Appreciate it.

-N

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I'm having some difficulty as well with my 2006 MacPro 1,1, with a Radeon HD 6xxx card.

When I try booting and holding down the Option key, I get nothing (but I've never been able to see a boot screen in Mavericks).

And you never will.

In any OS as boot screens are OS independent.

You will need an EFI card to use option key.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD

I've carefully made the USB stick twice, following the PDF instructions.
I've made sure that there are no shenanigans with the quotations marks.
I've tried both the black and grey versions of the boot.efi.

When I set the boot drive to the USB in System Preferences, I get a longer-than-normal boot but end up back on my Mavericks desktop. When I try booting and holding down the Option key, I get nothing (but I've never been able to see a boot screen in Mavericks).

As MVC stated, you can't use the Option method. Instead, open up System Preferences, select "Startup Disk" and change it to your Yosemite installer. Then hit Reboot. If your installer is good, you will boot into it.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
As MVC stated, you can't use the Option method. Instead, open up System Preferences, select "Startup Disk" and change it to your Yosemite installer. Then hit Reboot. If your installer is good, you will boot into it.

Yeah, I did try doing that. I just end up with a long boot process and back to Mavericks.

I've tried following the instructions meticulously, both times. I dunno, maybe I need a different USB drive (I'm using a new Toshiba 16 GB).

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Successful install on my Xserve. Just waiting on a tiny little GeForce 405 and a Fiber Card to ship from Ebay and it can go into service. Thanks again.

bulgakov

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2014
Thanks Pike and others

Cloned my Macbook from the last beta of Yosemite.
Installed boot files.
Everything works.
iMessage required phone call to Apple (15 minutes wait and 3 minutes to fix)
I changed machine name in sharing so it would not show up as Macbook.

Last beta ends in 39 so Nvidia drivers do not work as they require the Appstore
public release which ends in 40.

Mac Pro 1,1 works.
Bought it for fifty spent a hundred on it.
University sells these at surplus store.

I may still get a 4,1 eight core but it is a feeding frenzy when these go on sale.
People stand in line for two hours

MacDann

macrumors 6502a

Didn't realize this and went through making the efi USB key twice. Grrr. That's what I get for not checking the latest posts in the thread.

Running great on a MacPro 1,1 flashed to 2,1 with 14GB RAM, flashed 5770 installed on a secondary drive.

Tried the SFOTT without success so I went the long way. It worked, that's all that matters.

Thanks to all and I'll be sending piker some $$ for a job well done. Some of these other folks like hennessey and tiamo and others who have made this work for us should set up a donation site of some sort. I think they all deserve some compensation for giving us the ability to continue to use perfectly good hardware....

MacDann

kittonian

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Worked like a charm. Didn't even flash my Mac Pro 1,1 to 2,1. Just followed the instructions, created the USB install drive, and away I went. I'm typing this from Yosemite on a Mac Pro 1,1 built in Jan of 2007 with an ATI Radeon HD5770 and 8GB of RAM.

Beautiful! Thank you so much for everyone's hard work, especially Hennesie2000 for writing such an easy to follow guide.https://forums.macrumors.com/members/128975/

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Worked like a charm. Didn't even flash my Mac Pro 1,1 to 2,1. Just followed the instructions, created the USB install drive, and away I went. I'm typing this from Yosemite on a Mac Pro 1,1 built in Jan of 2007 with an ATI Radeon HD5770 and 8GB of RAM.

Beautiful! Thank you so much for everyone's hard work, especially Hennesie2000 for writing such an easy to follow guide.https://forums.macrumors.com/members/128975/

No need to flash unless you have upgraded your CPUs.

walindour

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I had this exact issue when trying to choose the Installer as the startup disk in System Preferences.

Followed Hennesie's latest guide (which is fantastic) but I couldn’t get the machine to boot from the USB at all. When trying to select it under System Preferences as the Startup Disk I would get “The bless tool was unable to set the current boot disk”.

So I tried a 32GB USB and installed the SFOTT on an 8GB partition. Was not successful. Found an 8GB USB stick and followed these instructions to the T (again):
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1802986/

Chose the USB as the startup disk in System Preferences - finally off and installing. For the record, I had upgraded the processor and flashed my 1,1 to a 2,1. But in setting up the SFOTT USB drive, I chose the board_id of Mac-F4208DC8 but with a Machine Id of 2,1. Not sure if this make any difference but it is working.

OH YEAhhhhhhhhhhh! Thanks everybody.

yassi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Hi guys,

thanks to all of you who made this possible!

I'm not (yet) on Yosemite, but installed Mavericks on the MacPro 1.1.
I will try it on another disk and report back.

So far everything is working but not:

-iMessage (have to contact Apple)
-Bluetooth (here I have to say, I don't have the Bluetooth board but USB-adapters, and strangely I can't disable Bluetooth, nor I can add devices.
Bluetooth is recognized for both adapters (1.1 und 3.0).

Does one have an idea?
Othewise I will try to get the Apple Bluetooth board on eBay.

Thanks again for making this possible.

Best,
yassi

Attachments

• Dlink DBT-120.jpg
    Dlink DBT-120.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 127

Nick Batey

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2014
The Netherlands
Yes you can turn off smart quotes in the TextEdit preferences.

- Jay

Thanks!

----------

Yes, success at last! Last night I built the installer drive from scratch again, because I could have missed something during the previous attempt. There were two things I did differently now. One is that I extracted the entire Kernels folder from the Essentials package, so not just the kernel. I put that extracted folder in its correct place on the installer drive.Two is that I put the board ID at the first spot in the Distribution file, not at the end or somewhere in the middle. I also copied the quotation marks from another board ID and used those for my own board ID, just to make sure I wouldn't run into the problem of having quotation marks in italics.

After double-checking everything I tried to do a clean install on a separate partition this morning and it worked!

Thank you so much Hennesie2000 and Pike for providing the step-by-step guide and the boot.efi.

Last edited:

cwarren

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2013
Same here. I tried the microphone on the USB Logitech webcam and also a ZOOM H1 via USB. No dice via either options I'm thinking it has to do with the message:

can't load kext com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio failed to load (0xdc00800e).

during startup even though it works in other applications.

Yep, also seeing this. My Logitech webcam works fine with FaceTime and Skype but the microphone in it will not work for calls through the phone....

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite

Yep, also seeing this. My Logitech webcam works fine with FaceTime and Skype but the microphone in it will not work for calls through the phone....

This might only be a Logitech issue. See if you can find out if this is an issue on supported systems. My Trittin AX Pro headset that uses a USB mic works fine for calls.

Last edited:

kittonian

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX
Here's a strange question. I've never used the Messages app until I just updated to Yosemite on my Mac Pro 1,1 last night. Of course I got the call Apple message and did so this morning. It's now all up and working and I see all the texts back and forth from today, however.....

Should I be seeing all the conversations that have ever taken place like I do on my iPhone? Is there a way to make that happen?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Here's a strange question. I've never used the Messages app until I just updated to Yosemite on my Mac Pro 1,1 last night. Of course I got the call Apple message and did so this morning. It's now all up and working and I see all the texts back and forth from today, however.....

Should I be seeing all the conversations that have ever taken place like I do on my iPhone? Is there a way to make that happen?

You will see conversations as they happen from now on. If an older conversation on your phone gets a new message then it will show up in it's entirety on the computer. I don't know of a way to import conversations though.

varsis

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2005
well while I am waiting for my graphics card cable to show up... 10.10 does run with the 7300 it's just very buggy...

On the other side 32gb of ram on the way and a gtx560 waiting to be put in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 12.16.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 12.16.02 PM.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 138

mike.101

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2014
You will see conversations as they happen from now on. If an older conversation on your phone gets a new message then it will show up in it's entirety on the computer. I don't know of a way to import conversations though.

Just copy the Messages folder in your userid Library from a computer that has the Messages history that you want to see on the new computer.
You should quit Messages first and probably restart after you copy.

kittonian

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
Austin, TX

Thank you. That's what I thought but this idiot on the phone at Apple told me I should be seeing everything and was having me reboot and log in and out of iCloud, etc. Apple's support personnel are just terrible these days.

spitfire40

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
Elkton, MD
Boot EFI method

Ive done everything in the instructions for the Piker-Alpha method and I'm stuck at the Apple Boot Screen doesn't leave that screen any suggestions on what I might have done wrong?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Ive done everything in the instructions for the Piker-Alpha method and I'm stuck at the Apple Boot Screen doesn't leave that screen any suggestions on what I might have done wrong?

Hold v while booting to go into verbose mode and see if there are any errors. I am assuming you have an EFI video card since you see the Apple logo on boot.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
BREAKING NEWS / UPDATE from Pike:

Good news. I remembered something from like five months ago. Yes. I already figured this out but I forgot about this change. Luckily some part of my brain recalled it and that was when I asked Mikeboss – a great help by the way – to backup: /com.apple.recovery.com/kernelcache and to copy: /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.com/Startup/kernelcache over it. BOOM. A successful boot from his Yosemite Recovery HD!

In other words. The missing 28 bytes (mach_header) at the start of the kernelcache, which was removed by Apple in BaseSystem.dmg and the one on the Recovery HD. No idea why Apple did this, but it is likely to break most boot loaders. With a few exceptions. And that ladies and gents was why the load routine in macosxbootloader is failing.

A fix to remedy this problem is being worked on and should soon be available.

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2014/10/17/recover-hd-booting-with-macosxbootloader/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.