Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
I've just opened a factory sealed, white iPod 5.5G. I assume nobody cares, but I wanted to share this moment of excitement with you.

Fork the iPhone. THIS is the definitive music player!! It's just beautiful!

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
I've just opened a factory sealed, white iPod 5.5G. I assume nobody cares, but I wanted to share this moment of excitement with you.

Fork the iPhone. THIS is the definitive music player!! It's just beautiful!

I hope you documented it well and share the moment with all of us on youtube? ;)

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
I hope you documented it well and share the moment with all of us on youtube? ;)

In fact, I recorded it just in case, though it's nothing of great quality. I'll upload it tomorrow since you are asking. ;)

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question for all of you iPod lovers out there. I had a 5th generation iPod and lost to when we lost our home to a tornado. I'm wanting to purchase another iPod of some sort before they discontinue them.

Which model do you recommend? Which generation has been your favorite? Would you purchase one of the newest ones or look for a good previous generation. This will be for me to use, not collect.

Many thanks!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Calling all iPod collectors...

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question for all of you iPod lovers out there. I had a 5th generation iPod and lost to when we lost our home to a tornado. I'm wanting to purchase another iPod of some sort before they discontinue them.

Which model do you recommend? Which generation has been your favorite? Would you purchase one of the newest ones or look for a good previous generation. This will be for me to use, not collect.

Many thanks!

For me it's the iPod Classic. If you don't care about the advanced features in newer models like the iPod Touch and don't mind not having the App Store, camera, Internet, etc. then I personally think the iPod Classic is the best iPod released by Apple.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
Sorry, I meant to say I had a 5th generation Nano.

Which generation of the classic do you think was best?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
For me it's the iPod Classic. If you don't care about the advanced features in newer models like the iPod Touch and don't mind not having the App Store, camera, Internet, etc. then I personally think the iPod Classic is the best iPod released by Apple.

6th gen classic

or the 8gb 2nd gen nano for a portable device for the gym.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

Don't know if it matters to you, Soulflower but both (the Classic and Nano 2nd gen recommended by Apple DApp) have been discontinued by Apple. The 6th gen. Classic got discontinued last month if I'm not mistaken.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
How do you go about finding one of the older ones that is affordable and you think will be in OK shape?

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

How do you go about finding one of the older ones that is affordable and you think will be in OK shape?

You'll find them on Amazon and eBay. They state their conditions and whether they're new or have been previously used.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011

Many thanks!

I created a survey a few months ago on this very same forum: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1716703/

For my it's pretty clear. In fact, I've just received a factory sealed iPod 5.5G a couple of days ago, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Do a little research and you'll see why the iPod 5.5G/5G is considered by many the best iPod Classic.

Obviously, in the end it's just your personal choice what matters, but I'd never buy one of the latest iPod Classics. I don't like that aluminum finish, the UI – and you can't go wrong with the Wolfson DAC.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I keep this 30GB iPod Classic in my car, connected to the stereo system. I've had it for a good many years, starting with my truck, when I put an aftermarket stereo in it. One that could hook to an iPod and control it. It stayed in the truck's glove box for years until I traded it for a car earlier this year. Now it's connected to the Ford SYNC system.

I bring it into the house every few months or so to sync any new songs to it. I brought it in today to do that and added an audiobook this time.

It still has the original plastic covering on its face that Apple applied at the factory. It's coming off a little bit on the sides, but the adhesive is quite strong.

I've had it for probably 5-7 years now and it still keeps on going. Though when it gets cold in the winter, it has a hard time spinning up and won't work until the car gets warm.
2014-10-26 08.48.52.jpg

armazemstore

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
My friends, I am new here in the forum, and would like help from you guys, I live in Brazil, where in the forum can announce my collection? unfortunately I will need to sell it for reasons of health!

would greatly help me to at least show me where I can advertise it

i have imessage

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
My friends, I am new here in the forum, and would like help from you guys, I live in Brazil, where in the forum can announce my collection? unfortunately I will need to sell it for reasons of health!

would greatly help me to at least show me where I can advertise it

i have imessage

You would have to post in the marketplace sub forum. Also consider the forum rules for this section.

Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months).

MacRumors Forum Rules

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.