Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Computer hardware has a limited life span. These people might be looking to upgrade their computer in the near future as well, and no Aperture just means that now Windows is an equal option. It is then up to the individual or business to decide where the best value can be found.

There's no way around the fact that exclusive software has been (and for some, still is) a big reason why people choose a Mac over a Windows PC. If you take away that software, you take away the reason, plus aggravate the users who might have just these kinds of knee-jerk reactions.

And my point still stands; all things being equal (in this case software like say, Lightroom) then it means that the only reason to move to a PC from Apple would be for Windows! If the reason is to save money (the thought process being that PCs are 'cheaper') then people should add up the costs of selling their second hand Mac, and then the cost of buying a new PC + software like Office, Adobe suites, and then having to navigate Microsoft's OS to get things done!

"Aperture's dead - long live, um, Windows! Take that Apple"

I can't see why anybody would want to do that. Just to pissoff Apple? Talk about knee-jerk reaction.

It turns out that your hypothetical Mac user either has more money than sense, or an inflated sense of the effect his infinitely small rebellion will have.

What was your point?

Last edited:

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
Hey folks,

Although I'm no longer an Apple computer user (switched to an HP workstation in 2012 from a Mac Pro) I believe that Capture One Pro 7 is available for the Mac.

Doesn't support plugins, so it's a no-go for me.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
And my point still stands; all things being equal (in this case software like say, Lightroom) then it means that the only reason to move to a PC from Apple would be for Windows!

Yes? One isn't allowed to prefer or need Windows, or what are you suggesting?

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Yes? One isn't allowed to prefer or need Windows, or what are you suggesting?

… that there wouldn't have been enough reason for PC users to down tools and jump to OS X if they already preferred Windows. If Lightroom was already available on a PC, then why would anyone dump that to then go through the expense of purchasing a new Mac and software? For Aperture?! I don't buy it.

One is allowed to prefer whatever it is they want to prefer, but generally people (in this case, photographers) don't forfeit everything they own and an operating system they know for the sake of an almost identical DAM software to which they could easily own today.

To clarify, this is it:

People threatening to 'leave Apple' because they have intelligently EOL'd Aperture is a bluff. They're just pissed that one of their toys is being taken away and they have no other way of crying about it other than to make inconsequential threats to just abandon the multi billion dollar corporation, no doubt leaving Apple high and dry.

This kind of fickle switching of technology merely represents a demographic that will have absolutely no effect on the wider world and will be perpetually flummoxed as to why their master plan fell on deaf ears and at how their new chosen allegiance brings them no more joy than they'd hoped.

The only enlightenment will be the lightening up of their wallets, as they blow cash on their next devotion never realising they're just being led by fancy marketing. Loyal until the next switch.

I'd bet not one protest and threat of dissension is followed through with a new windows/PC purchase because not a great many people like to put their money where their mouth is. However there are a lot of people who like to stamp their feet and wail, and scream bloody murder and damnation all under the murky umbrella of entitlement.

And no trying to win an argument on a MacRumors forum is going to change that.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
That is really bad. A lot of people use this to do professional work.

No. It's not bad because you are mistaken. You should have written, "A lot of people used to use this to do professional work." I haven't used Aperture in 2 years, and most of my colleagues in the photo business switched earlier to either Lightroom or Capture 1 Pro. This abandoning of Aperture was inevitable and the writing was on the wall.
Apple has been jettisoning much of its software and services for quite awhile, both professional and amateur. They were behind the curve on Final Cut Pro and lost many dedicated video producers. Apple has already lost most professional photographers with their lack of upgrades to Aperture. Unfortunately, they also got rid of mobile me, iDisk, iWeb and other services that consumers used.
They decided to concentrate on phones and tablets and consumer-oriented apps.
Apple still makes great computers, but I am not a worshipper of the company.
Goodbye Aperture, You won't be missed.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
What about videos?

Hi folks,

Not sure if this has been discussed - I haven't checked out the entire thread in a few weeks.

But what about our videos? Storing them, logging them, keywording etc...?

Right now, Aperture can handle videos, but I've yet to see it log information the same as it does for photos.

I know iTunes can store videos, but for me, it would be great if i could log/store videos in the same manner I do for photos - by day or event by month by year.

Am I nuts? Is this not missing?

Cheers,
Keebler

redtape

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
I just _love_ that Apple thinks Aperture is good enough to sell their premium portable computer with, but apparently not good enough to keep developing...

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
why are apple still selling it at full price (in mac app store) if its going to be discontinued in a couple of months? seems kinda wrong if you ask me.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
One problem is that all those developers making software for Mac also make it for Windows. Another is that Adobe seems to be flexing its market strength with its ripoff subscription service.

Everyone is moving to subscription model crap. You can't buy any software that's built to last or keep anymore :(

Master-D

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
London, UK
I just saw this, sorry for the late reply. I'm a location manager for the film industry, so I can visit up to 10 or 20 locations on an average scout day. I often need to cover a large area and document the whole location, so it typically take 30-200 images to cover a location depending on scale.

My digital archive is very important because every new project I start will begin with a trawl through the database looking for whatever I am looking for.

I'm out scouting on average 20 or so days a month, and if you are saying 8,000 images per month is excessive, thats about 400 per day, which is about right. Some days more, some days less, but its the ballpark.

You may think there is 'trash' in my collection, but thats just because you don't know what my photos are for. Also, I can guarantee you within my collection there will be the odd staircase or two that deserved 20 photos. I would pull some out for you, but frankly can't be bothered.

2M images in the modern digital era means more than 8 thousand photos a month for the past 20 years. You can imagine the amount of trash in that collection.

Some folks can walk up a fight of stairs and at the top exclaim they have 20 new photos. Whatever. Art is in the eyes of the beholder. I am extremely critical of my work. I'm not afraid to say I toss half because it turns out after eyeballing and using a loupe they don't cut it for me. Usually minor composition shortcomings. Many would find some of my trash to be great photography. But if it isn't what I was wanting, it gets binned.

Honestly I'd rather hear some insightful and honest commentary from a soccer mom that uses iPhoto once a week than some of the "pros" that troll these forums for attention.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
finally migrated all my aperture librarys to lightroom catalogs. been fairy easy and straightforward. much prefer lightroom workflow. fast and loads quickly. glad i made the transition.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
finally migrated all my aperture librarys to lightroom catalogs. been fairy easy and straightforward. much prefer lightroom workflow. fast and loads quickly. glad i made the transition.
Seems Apple is going to make a mess of this Photo App.

Considering moving to Capture One. I like what I've seen of it. Not a LR fan honestly!

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Seems Apple is going to make a mess of this Photo App.

Considering moving to Capture One. I like what I've seen of it. Not a LR fan honestly!

Based upon what information do you come to the conclusion that Apple is going to make a mess of this Photo app?

I'm waiting and seeing. Aperture is working just fine for me on Yosemite. I really do not like the workflow and tools and manual processes and file duplication in LR despite me having a license as part of CC.

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Based upon what information do you come to the conclusion that Apple is going to make a mess of this Photo app?
Compare what Aperture has and what iOS 8 has. Garbage. It's an indication of things to come with the Photos App. Wake up.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Compare what Aperture has and what iOS 8 has. Garbage. It's an indication of things to come with the Photos App. Wake up.

Nonsense. Two different systems and applications. There is no evidence whatsoever to draw such parallels. Heck you could say the same for LR for iOS compared to the full version.

The information that apple has released clearly already showed more advanced technology and features than Aperture has. Lens correction and many other things have been technically separated from the UI and are available as a framework. Key unknown element is how library management will be handled.

If it is iCloud only I will be out. However if the current system will be maintained then all is well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Thanks to LR's plugin for importing Aperture, it was a non issue. I'm happy with the results myself.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

Yeah just like Garage Band, Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iOS and OS X are completely the same. Oh, wait...

Does anyone have a clue when is this app going to happen?

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Yeah just like Garage Band, Pages, Numbers, Keynote for iOS and OS X are completely the same. Oh, wait...

Does anyone have a clue when is this app going to happen?

I don't think anyone cares, it is a big snoozer...

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
If it is iCloud only I will be out. However if the current system will be maintained then all is well.

Why - Aperture now is lightyears behind the curve. Much better is either Lightroom or Capture One Pro. I use both for different reasons.... Since leaving Aperture a few years ago, I have been liberated.

It's obvious Apple doesn't care about professional still photographers anymore. And why should they? The big money is in consumerism...

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think anyone cares, it is a big snoozer...
probably since aperture still works

Why - Aperture now is lightyears behind the curve. Much better is either Lightroom or Capture One Pro. I use both for different reasons.... Since leaving Aperture a few years ago, I have been liberated.

It's obvious Apple doesn't care about professional still photographers anymore. And why should they? The big money is in consumerism...

I wholeheartedly disagree. The brush mechanism in Aperture is still top-notch, what's lacking is lens distortion and few other things. File/library management is great, as is version handling.

Considering the price, it's actually really good.

I didn't like Capture one at all. And I don't like Adobes policies, although Lightroom ain't half-bad.

As far as the good ol' Apple doesn't care about professionals, its a repeating story. Happens every update, people still use their apps. Mostly because other developers aren't that great either. It took adobe 6 months to fix zoom scrolling in Illustrator CC. Yuck.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I agree. The only thing it doesn't have currently is a build in tool to perform lens correction. Not a big deal if you a) use decent lenses, and b) understand how lenses work and photograph it correctly, or c) use one of the available plugins. And then also lens correction is now becoming part of an operating system function and soon will be generally available to any application on OS X.

Other than that I can't see where it is lightyears behind. And I agree the way brushes are implemented is just so good.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
probably since aperture still works

For now, however, Yosemite will be the last os that aperture will reliably work in...

Once you switch to LR and really learn to use it you figure out what junk aperture really is. I actually switched a couple of years ago when it was clear apple had abandoned aperture.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
For now, however, Yosemite will be the last os that aperture will reliably work in...

Once you switch to LR and really learn to use it you figure out what junk aperture really is. I actually switched a couple of years ago when it was clear apple had abandoned aperture.

Come on then enlighten us how really junk it is? For me some key challenges with Lightroom is its library management including file management, keyword tagging and associated hierarchies, total lack of integration within the OS X media browser to such an extend I need to have the application open to search for photos and export photos to use in other applications. And then there is a more subjective challenge, the user interface with all the different steps and functions that you can do in one place but not in the other. To me it really feels like a last century PC originating product. I find it operates much slower as well. Even though my libraries are much smaller in Lightroom.

However we are all different, I would love to learn why Aperture is such junk.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Come on then enlighten us how really junk it is? For me some key challenges with Lightroom is its library management including file management, keyword tagging and associated hierarchies, total lack of integration within the OS X media browser to such an extend I need to have the application open to search for photos and export photos to use in other applications. And then there is a more subjective challenge, the user interface with all the different steps and functions that you can do in one place but not in the other. To me it really feels like a last century PC originating product. I find it operates much slower as well. Even though my libraries are much smaller in Lightroom.

However we are all different, I would love to learn why Aperture is such junk.

1. Aperture has not been updated (other than compatibility updates) in 4ish years
2. Yosemite is the last OS that it will reliably run under
3. It does not have lens correction with out roundtripping to a 3rd party app and the subsequent huge tiff file.
4. It does not have camera calibration
5. It does not have a radial filter

Shall I go on... It is junk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.