Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
All 20 of them sold out? :eek:

Jokes aside I wish them the best haha

You know what's sad though? When I googled the name of this phone to get more information about it straight from the source and maybe read some articles, Blackberry's own website didn't even come up on the first page of results.

Attachments

• blackberry.jpg
    blackberry.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 125

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
All 20 of them sold out?:eek:

Jokes aside I wish them the best haha

LOL! :D

BB are an interesting one to watch, I wonder how the Passport is doing. Here in South Africa BBs were huge up until late 2012, and then suddenly they dropped BIS service when they launched the Z10 last year and from there its been a free fall.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
LOL! :D

BB are an interesting one to watch, I wonder how the Passport is doing. Here in South Africa BBs were huge up until late 2012, and then suddenly they dropped BIS service when they launched the Z10 last year and from there its been a free fall.

I hear BB is still doing well in Jakarta. Unfortunately for BB, the only handsets selling are on BB7 and are the cheap handsets.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
I hear BB is still doing well in Jakarta. Unfortunately for BB, the only handsets selling are on BB7 and are the cheap handsets.

Indonesia and South Africa, and more specifically Jakatra and Johannesburg are places where BB had a lot of success, I remember WSJ having a lengthy article WRT that sometime in 2012, and yep, mostly BB7 models to this day remain far more popular, I still see the BB9900 Bold more than any other BB, funny enough I haven't seen the 8520 Curve much lately -that was an insanely popular model up until last year, it was the most popular model down here according to our networks.

Are BBs still the top smartphones in Indo?

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
You know what's sad though? When I googled the name of this phone to get more information about it straight from the source and maybe read some articles, Blackberry's own website didn't even come up on the first page of results.

That's because you searched what I wrote in the title, that was never the full name, it went from Q20 to Classic.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Pre-ordered myself. My Q10 is without a doubt the best phone I've ever had. Hopefully the Q20/Classic will continue BlackBerry's new and awesome line-up.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I'm about to go back to my Z10 because of the UI efficiency and cellular reception. I never had another BlackBerry.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Pre-ordered myself. My Q10 is without a doubt the best phone I've ever had. Hopefully the Q20/Classic will continue BlackBerry's new and awesome line-up.

Enjoy. Please post a review - I've only ever had a Bold 9900 and a Z10 but still interested to hear how the new devices are :)

The Bold 9900 had for me the best cell reception and call quality of any of the phones I've had in the last 7 years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I estimate it will be somewhat popular by blackberry standards, but I think the appeal will be for existing BB users needing a replacement of the old phones that had the keyboard.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Yes, touchscreen BB users want touchscreen. The BlackBerry virtual keyboard is the best.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Indonesia and South Africa, and more specifically Jakatra and Johannesburg are places where BB had a lot of success, I remember WSJ having a lengthy article WRT that sometime in 2012, and yep, mostly BB7 models to this day remain far more popular, I still see the BB9900 Bold more than any other BB, funny enough I haven't seen the 8520 Curve much lately -that was an insanely popular model up until last year, it was the most popular model down here according to our networks.

Are BBs still the top smartphones in Indo?

I don't have an actual data, but from my observation its not the top smartphone in Indonesia anymore. People in Indonesia use BB device for BBM, and since BBM is already cross platform and there are many good Android phones at cheap price, people don't buy BB phones anymore.

But BBM is still no.1 instant messaging preference though.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
The Z3 was one of the top 10 phone Google searches in Indonesia this year, which is normal as there was a lot of expectation about it which was connected to this country.

The code name was Jakarta and Indonesia was the launch country. The back has Jakarta inscribed on the back in a limited edition model over there.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
BB should have never stopped BIS, it was one their biggest advantages, especially in developing economies, you got 'unlimited' internet + BBM and Email at a flat monthly rate, so many loved it for that, and then you paid whatever your network charged for whatever BB phone you wanted on top, it was super affordable. Had they had BIS with the Z3 Jakatra, I think they would still have a sizable marketshare in the mid end and low end.

I know for example here in SA, when many left their BBs for Androids and iPhones, many got the shock of their lives at the whole cost of data to run these beasts, many of my family members, friends etc... got iPhone 5s, Galaxy S3s, S4s, Notes, Xperias etc... and the 1st phone bills were a shock to them as the cost of data here is expensive without the BIS cushion with its super low flat rate, and many have had to adjust, BB had a major advantage that they just didn't fully capitalise on.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I wonder if you can get android wear to work properly with bb10, since its compatible with android apps, I would consider getting this if I can get it to work with my 360.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
BB should have never stopped BIS, it was one their biggest advantages, especially in developing economies, you got 'unlimited' internet + BBM and Email at a flat monthly rate, so many loved it for that, and then you paid whatever your network charged for whatever BB phone you wanted on top, it was super affordable. Had they had BIS with the Z3 Jakatra, I think they would still have a sizable marketshare in the mid end and low end.

I know for example here in SA, when many left their BBs for Androids and iPhones, many got the shock of their lives at the whole cost of data to run these beasts, many of my family members, friends etc... got iPhone 5s, Galaxy S3s, S4s, Notes, Xperias etc... and the 1st phone bills were a shock to them as the cost of data here is expensive without the BIS cushion with its super low flat rate, and many have had to adjust, BB had a major advantage that they just didn't fully capitalise on.

Yup. I bought two blackberries about 4 years ago and used them on the BIS. With that gone, i might as well just go with a better smartphone if i'm paying all that data bill anyway.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Yup. I bought two blackberry and used them on the BIS. With that gone i might as well just go with a better smartphone if i'm paying all that data bill anyway.

You can find more powerful hardware, but I doubt better system.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I don't think the Q20 is that big of a leap from the Q10. You can find a Q10 for like $150 on eBay and that is an excellent device, especially with 10.3 loaded on to it!

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas

This makes a whole lot of sense and probably the reason why BB had such a stranglehold on developing markets. Thanks for the insight.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Yeah I think the classic is aimed at a very very small market and should be expected to sell accordingly.

On the other hand i just ordered a passport (tired of the 6+) to try out bb10.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I don't think the Q20 is that big of a leap from the Q10. You can find a Q10 for like $150 on eBay and that is an excellent device, especially with 10.3 loaded on to it!

It is not a Q10 upgrade, it is a device to migrate the BBOS diehards. It is good that it was not finally called Q20 because Q users think it is a throwback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.