Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Seems like an issue that a lot of the early released iPhone 6's had.

My room mate got the iP6 on launch day. The other day I came across this thread and grabbed his phone, sure enough he has the crescent.

I got my iP6 right before Christmas, no crescent shape by camera.

Just had my iP6 swapped at Apple yesterday (random reboots, freezing), no crescent on my newest 6.

Seems Apple is aware of the issue so if anyone has the crescent by the front facing camera, I would take it in for a swap.

Last edited:

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
I called apple today due to my battery draining faster when it's under 50% and told them about this thread. My camera moved also to the left side. The woman on the apple hotline immediately told me that it will be replaced. Ordered the faster way for 29€, because we don't have official apple stores here in Austria. Will receive it on Monday. She even didn't wanted to see pictures.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I called apple today due to my battery draining faster when it's under 50% and told them about this thread. My camera moved also to the left side. The woman on the apple hotline immediately told me that it will be replaced. Ordered the faster way for 29€, because we don't have official apple stores here in Austria. Will receive it on Monday. She even didn't wanted to see pictures.
I've had my 128GB space grey iPhone 6 fully replaced once because of the FaceTime camera padding moving. I've treated it very gently, but I see that it's slowly happening again with my replacement. Quite the annoying design flaw I'd say. I wonder what makes it happen on some and not others.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I had my iPhone 6 screen replaced two months ago for this exact issue. It was fine, but is now starting to become misaligned again...

Mine too. I'm on my third screen now due to this issue. Apple keep swapping it out and thus far it seems to be sticking.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
That's crazy that they're swapping the screens and the issue still returns! Must be the part that is the problem (the foam?), and they just keep using the same part and hoping it'll get fixed.

Very weird how it effects a certain number of phones. My room mates launch day 6 has the crescent shape on the cam, and plenty of you do too. Me on the other hand, I didn't have the crescent on my original 6 that I ordered on Dec 19, and I dont have the crescent on my 6 that I swapped last week. And so far so good, I haven't noticed anything showing up.

It's crazy that they're not swapping the handset, and just swapping the screen on the same device over and over and over. Common sense would tell me just to swap the handset after 1 or 2 tries to fix via replacing the display.

Last edited:

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Apple would save so much money and I'd save on gas money if they would just fix the problem instead of replacing the screens every time this happens.

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Replacement arrived today and even before I took the protection film off, I've heard the screen clicking on the right bottom part. So it's a little bit loose on this side. Also I've send it back today. Let's wait for the next replacement.

Aegyo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2014
The Netherlands
Made an appointment, got the screen replaced the next day now everything is all fine i hope so.
But however i lost my Jailbreak, because the genious couldn't connect my phone with her ipad for the test.
She was clueless and i told her i had Jailbreak but everything was off and hidden away lol.

So i needed to erase the phone, luckily the genious was a nice lady with a little flirt she said ok: just erase all and i will take it to backroom for the repairment.
I told her to keep the 8.1.2 and she told his collegue. But unfortunaly her collegue trolled me and updated it to 8.1.3:mad:

Well this sucks but yeah now i have a crisp screen again. So gotta wait for a jailbreak.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Made an appointment, got the screen replaced the next day now everything is all fine i hope so.
But however i lost my Jailbreak, because the genious couldn't connect my phone with her ipad for the test.
She was clueless and i told her i had Jailbreak but everything was off and hidden away lol.

So i needed to erase the phone, luckily the genious was a nice lady with a little flirt she said ok: just erase all and i will take it to backroom for the repairment.
I told her to keep the 8.1.2 and she told his collegue. But unfortunaly her collegue trolled me and updated it to 8.1.3:mad:

Well this sucks but yeah now i have a crisp screen again. So gotta wait for a jailbreak.

Lmao yeah, anytime you take your phone in its important to rid the iPhone of the jailbreak. Once the Genius connects the phone for the various tests, it won't connect and they will realize its jailbroken, and they wont service a jailbroken phone as we all know. It does suck.

I took my 6 in last week because I had a few blue screen reboots over the course of two months. I had to get rid of my jailbreak and updated it to 8.1.3 because if you come in to the Apple store with an issue on old software, the Genius will always recommend an update and blame that, rather than swap your phone. Plus, to rid the jailbreak I had to of course restore, which forced update.

So I lost my jailbreak, but when I got home with my new 6 I realized it had 8.1.2. I was saved! Luckily the white box replacement phone they swapped had older software. Score. New iPhone and gained ability to jailbreak again.

Enojo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
My camera is also starting to shift. How fast did yours go from a really small "moon" to getting noticeable really well?

My phone is made in January, so I guess they've not started to do something about it in the manufacturing process yet.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
My camera is also starting to shift. How fast did yours go from a really small "moon" to getting noticeable really well?

My phone is made in January, so I guess they've not started to do something about it in the manufacturing process yet.

Not true about the manufacturing process. My roomies launch day 6 has the crescent by the camera. I got my original 6 right before Xmas, no crescent. I had my 6 swapped just last week, no crescent. The problem is obviously a random one and effects certain batches from certain factories.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Mine's shifted more than the original screen.
Pretty damn annoying.

I want to get it fixed but not sure the replacement screen will be any better.

So now I'm just going to leave it and live with it..pretty ugly..

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Well, my original 6 (purchased around Christmas) never had the crescent shape. I had it replaced back in January/Feb for resets and blue screen, and the replacement didn't have the crescent. Looked at my phone today, crescent is there! Not gonna worry about it, maybe I'll swap before my 1 year is up, but as long as it's not causing camera issues. It's kind of ugly, but it's not so bad covered in the Lifeproof Fre. Crazy how some iPhones just develop this issue and some dont. My room mates launch day 6 has it, and my other friends 6 has it. Seems pretty widespread and its funny most people don't even notice.

Last edited:

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
I went to the Apple store with the same problem of the front camera having shifted on my 6.

The employees there said that it's a problem with the front panel and that the whole panel needs to be changed.

I was wandering if that is recommended or not with the phone being just a couple of months old. I am basically worried about the quality of the front panel and the screen.

Plus, If I do need to get it changed, what all do I check once I get the new panel installed?

Aegyo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2014
The Netherlands

Yep, yet again it begins to shift. I see a tiny crescent moon yet, not so noticable but it is there.
And i will guess it will getting worse by time.. ;/

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Yep, yet again it begins to shift. I see a tiny crescent moon yet, not so noticable but it is there.
And i will guess it will getting worse by time.. ;/

Mine has happened again. Third time so hopefully there will be a replacement iPhone on my horizon.

Going to see the kind people at the apple store on Thursday.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Screen replacement done on mine and it's flawless. Very happy with the results so far. Hoping I don't see another shift.

BriOS

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2014
Wow this is still a problem?? From my launch day space gray iPhone 6, I had 5 replacements for this same issues with every single one of them. Then I bought a sim free retail iPhone 6+ in silver, and its been perfect now for a few weeks. I really don't care about this issue anymore, and won't be getting a replacement if it happens on my 6+. Not important anymore. Unless apple says the newer replacements are fixed for good. But damn apple.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Wow this is still a problem?? From my launch day space gray iPhone 6, I had 5 replacements for this same issues with every single one of them. Then I bought a sim free retail iPhone 6+ in silver, and its been perfect now for a few weeks. I really don't care about this issue anymore, and won't be getting a replacement if it happens on my 6+. Not important anymore. Unless apple says the newer replacements are fixed for good. But damn apple.

I got a replacement for this issue two weeks ago, and the replacement is starting to have the same issue.

Which is fine as long as Apple replaces it every time it happens for the life of the phone. Somehow I think that won't happen...

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I think this problem only occurs on the Space Grey iPhone 6 and not other models. May be wrong but feel free to correct me.

I have it on my silver 6. I never use the front camera, so I am going to wait and see what happens. I'll probably get it replaced at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.