Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
My case is AppleCare+

I've become pretty wary of buying accessories because I've spent way too much money in the past on them and ended up utilizing them very poorly. Things like lightning cables, I don't mind having more of as it's nice to have a charging cable in all the places I need them to be. But things like cases, I prefer to stay away from them as I find them of limited utility to me.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
I had a prospective tenant come by a rental property the other day. Her 6+ had no case and was shattered into a million pieces. I asked her what happened, and she said it was only a 2-3 foot fall from seated height onto a wood floor. Then her boyfriend chimed in that it was only 1 week after he bought it for her unlocked.

Ouch.

I will stick with my absolutely obnoxious love mei case. Pretty sure this thing could stop a bullet.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I had a prospective tenant come by a rental property the other day. Her 6+ had no case and was shattered into a million pieces. I asked her what happened, and she said it was only a 2-3 foot fall from seated height onto a wood floor. Then her boyfriend chimed in that it was only 1 week after he bought it for her unlocked.

Ouch.

I will stick with my absolutely obnoxious love mei case. Pretty sure this thing could stop a bullet.

Thats one thing I always think of when I see caseless iPhones. Thats fine if you dont want a case and dont want to cover it up however accidents do happen, drops happen, I could just never take that risk with a $700 mini computer...

mello, I wanted to ask. I came across the mei case on Amazon. I already have a Griffin Survivor coming in the mail for my 6 but was interested in the love mei case. You recommend it?

ApoorvPrem

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2011
India
Cases are a scam. I run my plus naked. My 5 was naked for 2 years. No issues. The SCREEN is not protected by a case. So what's the point? People like sheep have been led to this weird concept of buying something and then BUYING something else to what, keep dings off the side and back? I fail to see the point. Do you buy cases for watches? People have been led to believe cases are necessary and integral to the iphone. They are wrong. People have actually looked at my phone and commented. What, no case? People sometimes buy cases without thinking. They are just following the crowd.

The thing is not everyone can easily afford an iPhone. We save up a lot for this tiny piece of tech. It is thus important that we preserve the condition of the phone so that we can sell it for a good price later on in order to buy the next iteration. Believe me - i want to have my iPhone naked as much as you do but I would rather have it covered and save 100 dollars in resale value.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest

Ouch.

The best part of this was that the boyfriend was still mad about spending that money. lol I know that feeling.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
The best part of this was that the boyfriend was still mad about spending that money. lol I know that feeling.

The funny thing is that interaction played a big part in me passing them over as tenants. Anyone irresponsible enough to run a naked iPhone probably cannot handle a rental lol.

Rented to the next couple both had their iPhones securely tucked away in rugged cases.

JasonD12

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
UK
Yeah I think anyone crazy enough to have any smartphone not in a case with a screen protector would be crazy...

I have rugged case on my iPhone6 and an edge to edge tempered glass screen protector on my phone also.

It was so hard to find one that actually covered full edge to edge of the screen.

slickwrapsinc

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2014
Andover, USA
Slickwraps is all I have on mine since launch day, one drunken mistake at a bar at 1:30am about 3 weeks after I got it and and the screen shattered and that's the only mishap I have had. Used one of my two replacements with the apple insurance, Well worth it going naked with no case, phone breaks pay the $75 and get a new one.

Not worried about at all

Huge Thanks!!

Weston
Slickwraps

Trin813

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Tampa
Huge Thanks!!

Weston
Slickwraps

Weston I've been trying to get a replacement slick wrap since October of last year for my 6+ my emails started to you and were not answered.. 14 follow up emails to Jonathan Endicott have not been answered either. Can I please receive some follow up service from someone at Slickwraps?

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
The thing is not everyone can easily afford an iPhone. We save up a lot for this tiny piece of tech. It is thus important that we preserve the condition of the phone so that we can sell it for a good price later on in order to buy the next iteration. Believe me - i want to have my iPhone naked as much as you do but I would rather have it covered and save 100 dollars in resale value.

Never had an issue with re-sale. I haven't sold it privately, but always get top dollar from whatever store purchases it -- like Gamespot.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Never had an issue with re-sale. I haven't sold it privately, but always get top dollar from whatever store purchases it -- like Gamespot.

Um, you never get top dollar if you sell your phone to a store. That's how you get the LEAST amount of money. You sell to a store, a store is there for profit, they give you substantially less than what they will resell it for. You sell it privately, that person simply just wants a new phone for cheaper than the full retail price. I used Swappa to sell my 5S and got about $500 after it was already a year old. Way more guaranteed, than a store would pay. Also if you sell it privately, it is important to keep it mint. People will pay more for a mint used phone. Go on Swappa.com and see.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Posted this in another "naked" thread also-

Why do people insult people in here and say how "they have money to waste" and must be "really crazy" to even consider running naked? I even saw in one thread where a guy didn't rent an apartment to a guy/girl cause one of them had a shattered screen and it meant they were irresponsible- what a joke. I find it amusing, some people really enjoy the industrial design/feel of iPhones, and ANY case, skin, or screen protector ruin this feel in at least some small way. It's not crazy at all, and I know many people including myself who have used their phones like this with no damage at all, and others who don't even attempt to baby their phones and just have normal wear and tear without anything damaged seriously. Just because you can't understand how this is possible, or have seen many shattered screens, doesn't mean its not possible or rational. And if people run AppleCare plus, which is refundable at anytime by the way(don't think many people realize that), and can afford to pay for replacements, then good for them. Don't worry about what they can afford and just wrap your phone in a otterbox and do what works for you if money is tight and you can't stand to see a single mark. Some people have a natural ability to take care of their things, and also aren't as clumsy as others. These phones CAN handle going naked- it's not just for crazy people and rich people, sorry not everybody understands this.

Ok, rant over.

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan
My case is AppleCare+

I've become pretty wary of buying accessories because I've spent way too much money in the past on them and ended up utilizing them very poorly. Things like lightning cables, I don't mind having more of as it's nice to have a charging cable in all the places I need them to be. But things like cases, I prefer to stay away from them as I find them of limited utility to me.

It be nice if Apple could make a curved phone slightly curved at the center making it much easier to grip. Maybe give it a leather backing for a better hold on the phone. Maybe with the 6S:confused:

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Similar to my "iPad Pro Naked" thread I'd also like to know who of you are going "naked" with your 6s and 6s Pluses? I usually use the leather Apple case but as with my iPad, I like to take off when at home and usually do this on Friday after work and only put back in it's case on Sunday.

Now that we are a good 8 months into the 6s's, how are you guys going?

Anyone ditched their case and now going "naked"?

How's the phone holding up?

Cheers!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I've never had a case on my 6s. I have dropped it once on a hardwood floor. Fortunately, there are only slight blemishes on two corners of the phone. Otherwise, those are the only signs of use since I got the phone back in November.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yet another naked iPhone thread. So here goes…

Every phone I have ever owned. No cases. I hate cases. Don't use them, don't like them, don't care about them.

The only screen I have ever cracked was on my 6+ and I've owned phones since 1999.

My 6s+ looks the same as the day I got it in September.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
I used my 6s+ for an estimated 3 weeks "naked". My phone ended up taking a small 10cm plunge and put a small crack on the side of the screen. Been using a case since then. I would've ended up going back to using a case either way. The phone is too slippery without one in my opinion.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Similar to my "iPad Pro Naked" thread I'd also like to know who of you are going "naked" with your 6s and 6s Pluses? I usually use the leather Apple case but as with my iPad, I like to take off when at home and usually do this on Friday after work and only put back in it's case on Sunday.

Now that we are a good 8 months into the 6s's, how are you guys going?

Anyone ditched their case and now going "naked"?

How's the phone holding up?

Cheers!

I use a Spigen Clear case for my 6+. Naked the phone is a bit slippery to be honest.

http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-CUSHION-Crystal-Cushion-Technology/dp/B00JH8398Q

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Yet another naked iPhone thread. So here goes…

Every phone I have ever owned. No cases. I hate cases. Don't use them, don't like them, don't care about them.

The only screen I have ever cracked was on my 6+ and I've owned phones since 1999.

My 6s+ looks the same as the day I got it in September.

Ha! Your post made me laugh. I know what you mean. I've read em all. It's just about this time in my iPhone's life cycle that I start to go case less. I baby it when fist bought, take it out if it's case after a couple of months, see others using theirs without a case and start to think, mm?

Nice to see what others think though. It's usually a 50/50 split between those who swear by cases and those who don't. I just happen to be in the middle! Maybe need a little convincing....

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Ha! Your post made me laugh. I know what you mean. I've read em all. It's just about this time in my iPhone's life cycle that I start to go case less. I baby it when fist bought, take it out if it's case after a couple of months, see others using theirs without a case and start to think, mm?

Nice to see what others think though. It's usually a 50/50 split between those who swear by cases and those who don't. I just happen to be in the middle! Maybe need a little convincing....
I seem to be in a cycle where I am constantly protective of the phone for the first year (because of warranty) but when I hit the one year mark my concern is less. I'm not throwing my phone around, but I am less concerned after the first year.

But yeah…when it comes to cases around here there seems to be no middle ground between the two sides. :)

Reactions: AVBeatMan

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Very timely thread, I just took my Apple leather case off my 6s+ for good after only a month. I hate cases, even ones as nice as that. I like to directly feel and see my iPhones, that experience is what all the design and thought went into.

I also have a pile of 5s cases that I tried and never could love. After 1.5 years, I had a ding on the side metal, but that was it.

Reactions: burgman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.