Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
So I've always used a case on my iPhone. I like to keep it in as good a condition as possible but I'm not obsessive about it. I've never used a screen protector and my phone has always looked good throughout its lifespan.

Anyway my current case fell apart recently and so I've been naked for a few days. I've had my phone in a work jacket pocket and also a much less clean coat pocket I use to walk the dogs in. Keys in there and a little bit of grit. No scratches, no problems. It's got me thinking. Is a case necessary?

So I was just wondering if anyone's got (or could take) some photos of their iPhone after a period of extended naked use? It's an individual thing as to how much wear and tear you deem acceptable so if you could state how long you've had the phone and whether it's been in with keys / coins / in a bag that would be really helpful.

Thanks.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
"Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?" -- God

Seriously, I last went naked on the iPhone 3 GS. The iPhone 4, you'll recall, was glass front and back, and I just wasn't going to chance it.

My current phone is a 6 Plus, and it's just too easy to drop. (It took a tumble to the bathroom floor this morning.) It's happily ensconced in an Incipio case, so no harm came to it. You may have better hand-eye coordination than I, your mileage may vary.

Ggvfvgbffbf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Manchester, England
Thanks for the replies. I know there are some existing threads already but I'm really looking for photos with something along the lines of "here is what my phone looks like after 6/12/18 months naked use"

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
It will be fine, as long as you don't drop it on cement, tile, or anything hard like that. You may get a couple minor scratches on the back, but they hold up well.
FYI- everyone I know who dropped their iPhone and cracked their screen had a thin case on anyway, so not all cases really protect from drops.

Reactions: M. Gustave

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Thanks for the replies. I know there are some existing threads already but I'm really looking for photos with something along the lines of "here is what my phone looks like after 6/12/18 months naked use"
I'm not sure how pictures would help. It is highly depended of your use as you noted. You will likely get scratches on the phone, probably on the back. This is really one of those times where it's "YMMV". The thing is if you enjoy and prefer to use the phone without a case, then go for it.
[doublepost=1456599573][/doublepost]
It will be fine, as long as you don't drop it on cement, tile, or anything hard like that. You may get a couple minor scratches on the back, but they hold up well.
FYI- everyone I know who dropped their iPhone and cracked their screen had a thin case on anyway, so not all cases really protect from drops.
I've even seen YouTube videos of cases that advertise "drop protection" but yet fail during the drop test and the screen shatters. I personally use a case for extra grip and I hope that when I do drop the phone I have better luck on impact.
[doublepost=1456601021][/doublepost]

Also in addition to those I'll add one more that has some good information in it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/6s-more-durable.1958570/

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I used a case once when I first got my iPhone 5. Got rid of it a couple of months after, don't use them anymore.

I do now use a screen protector but that's it.

iPhone 6s+. Bought in late September 2015.

2016-02-27 12.39.43 HDR.jpg 2016-02-27 12.40.02 HDR.jpg 2016-02-27 12.40.25 HDR.jpg 2016-02-27 12.40.34 HDR.jpg

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014
Got some mystery scratches from the time I used a case

FYI, those are not scratches. That's clearly corrosion. It's very likely that the case didn't damage the phone directly but instead trapped liquid between the phone and the case for long enough to cause the corrosion. I know that doesn't change the fact that the phone has some blemishes as a result but just wanted to point it out.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
I have always gone naked no problems! I do keep it in its own pocket so no keys or coins etc. I compared to a co workers who always kept his in s flip case we were hard pushed to tell the difference.

Reactions: RadioGaGa1984

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So I've always used a case on my iPhone. I like to keep it in as good a condition as possible but I'm not obsessive about it. I've never used a screen protector and my phone has always looked good throughout its lifespan.

Anyway my current case fell apart recently and so I've been naked for a few days. I've had my phone in a work jacket pocket and also a much less clean coat pocket I use to walk the dogs in. Keys in there and a little bit of grit. No scratches, no problems. It's got me thinking. Is a case necessary?

So I was just wondering if anyone's got (or could take) some photos of their iPhone after a period of extended naked use? It's an individual thing as to how much wear and tear you deem acceptable so if you could state how long you've had the phone and whether it's been in with keys / coins / in a bag that would be really helpful.

Thanks.

I haven't used a case for my 6 at all. But on my 4 and 5 used a sleeve that added near zero bulk that protected it while not using/in pocket and got to enjoy no case while using. Almost best of both worlds.

Here is a link to the 6/6s version, they have them in all iPhone sizes.

http://www.senacases.com/ultraslim-classic-iphone-6

I plan on getting one again for the 7+ in the fall when I upgrade.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Here's the irony. Got some mystery scratches from the time I used a case, followed by a DBrand skin. Went caseless afterwards and haven't had any new damage ever since.
fb27d6ac2f7a5b58026c89d42e455588.jpg
Wow! Was there something inside the case itself? I would have complained with the case manufacturer for that.....

Btw, back to the topic, I just think the iPhone is too delicate to be used naked on a daily basis. In my case I want to preserve it as new as I can, so I always keep it in a case (Apple case, which offers a good protection while it's easy to take in and out) with a tempered glass screen protector.
Last iPhone I used naked is the 3GS.
[doublepost=1456651022][/doublepost]
I haven't used a case for my 6 at all. But on my 4 and 5 used a sleeve that added near zero bulk that protected it while not using/in pocket and got to enjoy no case while using. Almost best of both worlds.

Here is a link to the 6/6s version, they have them in all iPhone sizes.

http://www.senacases.com/ultraslim-classic-iphone-6

I plan on getting one again for the 7+ in the fall when I upgrade.
Nice, but it exposes the phone to danger in the moment you are actually using it. Incidentally that is the moment when it's more probable to drop it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Wow! Was there something inside the case itself? I would have complained with the case manufacturer for that.....

Btw, back to the topic, I just think the iPhone is too delicate to be used naked on a daily basis. In my case I want to preserve it as new as I can, so I always keep it in a case (Apple case, which offers a good protection while it's easy to take in and out) with a tempered glass screen protector.
Last iPhone I used naked is the 3GS.
The case was a spigen air cushion. I also used my 4s and 5s without a case, and they turned out fine save for a few scratches on the back and sides. Used the rubber case for added grip on my 6S+ but have since grown comfortable with handling it why one hand.

AppleCare treats it as cosmetic damage and so Apple can't / won't do anything about it. But otherwise, iPhone still works fine and I don't intend to sell it, so it doesn't really bother me.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Nice, but it exposes the phone to danger in the moment you are actually using it. Incidentally that is the moment when it's more probable to drop it.

True. But for me personally it's all I need. I've owned a 3G, 4, 5, 6 and not once dropped or broken any of them. I've used the sleeve I linked for just the 4 and 5 only, all other have been 100% naked.

The sleeve is a good alternative for people who like their phone naked but offers protection while in your pocket. It could even potentially save a screen cracking if you had it on a table in the sleeve and it got knocked off the table.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I use an Apple black leather case purely to add grip.

If I could get something that adhered to the Lh & Rh edges to add grip I'd happily ditch the case.

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
With the stronger aluminium of the 6s do people feel they need a case? I think adding a glass tempered protector should be enough in my opinion...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Bedside, computer side (at home and work) my 6s+ goes in a business card holder.

In the car it's on top of a leather sleeve in a center dash compartment and everywhere else it's where it's safe to lay it down without the surface scratching it.

2016-02-28 15.50.09.jpg

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
True. But for me personally it's all I need. I've owned a 3G, 4, 5, 6 and not once dropped or broken any of them. I've used the sleeve I linked for just the 4 and 5 only, all other have been 100% naked.

The sleeve is a good alternative for people who like their phone naked but offers protection while in your pocket. It could even potentially save a screen cracking if you had it on a table in the sleeve and it got knocked off the table.
What about the notifications? You have to take it out of the sleeve just to see the time !

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What about the notifications? You have to take it out of the sleeve just to see the time !

Apple Watch. I don't need to constantly check my phone for time/notifications.

Again. I said it was the kind of case I personally prefer. Since it's almost a "best of both worlds" solution. You get to use the phone naked but also get some level of protection. Not sure why you're arguing something that I prefer for my self and suggested as a possible solution for the OP. I never said it's the best and everyone needs to use it.

Reactions: Simche
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.