Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
Lord Blackadder said:
Prince George, yes. ;)

Oh, I could go on and on if you let me....:D

I've got WikiQuote fired up & ready :D

This thread should probably get back on topic, otherwise we've knackered a perfectly good thread. :eek:

Edit:

Good plan MacsRgr8

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
~Shard~ said:
Shard is simply an alias which I have used for a long time. I came up with it on my own about 10 years ago or so, and always thought it would be a cool superhero, etc. type of name, and have always used it as my online alter-ego (or is it my real ego? :eek: :cool: ) So for Forums, e-mail, even the lead character in my screenplay, it's always been Shard. The tildes are simply for effect. ;) :cool:
There is a literary prececent -- in Anne McCaffreys Dragonriders of Pern novels, characters use "Shards!" as an epithet -- referring to Shards of the (Dragon's) Egg, -- similar to the English "Zounds!" meaning God's Wounds (Jesus's wounds on the cross).

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
CanadaRAM said:
There is a literary prececent -- in Anne McCaffreys Dragonriders of Pern novels, characters use "Shards!" as an epithet -- referring to Shards of the (Dragon's) Egg, -- similar to the English "Zounds!" meaning God's Wounds (Jesus's wounds on the cross).

And from pop culture ... the crystal shard from The Dark Crystal ... later influence for the Crystal Method.

peace | neut

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
Well my favorite place in the world is an island in greece called patmos, a person from patmos is a patmian, 212 is the area code of NYC which is where I grew up, hence patmian212

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
<-- I've explained my, apparently hard to spell, name on a couple of occasions, but since this is the "official" thread I'll even throw in a little reason:

Mitth'raw'nuruodo, or Grand Admiral Thrawn for short (!), is my favorite charachter from the Star Wars Universe. Okay, so he was on the imperial side (or what was left of it), but I was still cheering for him... ;)

More from the Star Wars Databank or even more from Wikipedia. Or even better: Read the Thrawn trilogy... :)

I'm such a geek... :eek: :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
CanadaRAM said:

neut said:
And from pop culture ... the crystal shard from The Dark Crystal ... later influence for the Crystal Method.

Very excellent references guys, thanks for those. Yes, perhaps my subconscious took a piece (a shard?) from many of these types of references/sources which I have been exposed to when I was trying to come up with that name, and influenced me without me even knowing... ;) :cool:

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Mine came about when I was trying to think of a screen name for an AIM account to use on iChat. I asked my 9 year old niece what she thought I should use, and she took my last name (Stamp) and transformed it in a way that only a child can do! I thought it was kinda' catchy, so I used it.
It's also kind of a tribute to Bart's pet elephant, Stampy, on The Simpsons (my favorite TV show).
P.S. I second the idea of a Blackadder thread (my other favorite show!)

XNine

macrumors 68040
iBlue said:
my username is pretty easy: my first name is Blue (yes, it's my real name) so iBlue. ;)

That is really cool. I've never met anyone REALLY named Blue before. That's pretty!

As far as my screen name: A bunch of friends say that I look like Great Teacher Onizuka (it's an anime and live/action series in Japan). Blond hair, always smoking, and total BADASS and pervert. They say they should have just made the show about me. lmao.

Someone on here pm'd me a little while ago asking if it was in honor of the fallen astronaut. And I said "I't's not that honorable or cool." lol

edit: About the CRYSTAL METHOD, they got there name from a girl (named Crystal) who used to give her friends/aquaintences rides all around town. They would say "How are we gonan get there?" And others would say "The Crystal Method."

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Onizuka said:
edit: About the CRYSTAL METHOD, they got there name from a girl (named Crystal) who used to give her friends/aquaintences rides all around town. They would say "How are we gonan get there?" And others would say "The Crystal Method."

I was just referencing thier prominent use of a Dark Crystal sample on the first track of thier first commercial release, Vegas.

peace | neut

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Mine came from my dad in a way. He was a really good golfer on the high school golf team and his nickname was prostuff. So when it came time for me to think of a screen name it was easy cause my dad and i are both good golfers. I just choose to add a "1" to the end.

Plus i figured the nickname that my friends use was not appropriate. For anyone wondering my last name is Hiltner and it is very close to... take a guess. Almost every one of my friends calls me by that nickname.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i have (technically had, since i gave it to my husband for his last birthday so he could use it as a back-up bike as he starts racing this year) a yamaha yzf-r6 motorcycle (see the current model here. it's usually referred to as an "r6" for short, and i am a girl. ;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Mac - no explanation needed
Dawg - University of Georgia Bulldawg fan

uga on ice.jpg

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Onizuka said:
That is really cool. I've never met anyone REALLY named Blue before. That's pretty!

<snip>

thanks, i like my name... now... as a kid it was a bit annoying. i've met another Blue, it was a guy. :p (and he was a real jackass)

i didn't know that about The Crystal Method (i like the band) i always assumed it was just a reference to methamphetamine (crystal meth) <shrugs> ya learn something every day.
(that'll teach me to have such a depraved outlook)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
trainguy77 i used to use this member name a couple years ago when i was interested in model trains...i no longer do the whole train thing and i hate the trainguy77 name....now my new name everywhere i go is macman64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.