Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I was reading some reviews from Time and Wired. I forgot the latter has Apple fan boy from The Verge, David Pierce. He actually makes decent points but is wrong on the Galaxy Note.

He mentions the Galaxy Note will forever be a niche product. LOL. Yet, without the Note, the iPhone 6 Plus wouldn't exist and we wouldn't have this upward trend in bigger screen sizes. LG is even copying Samsung with a stylus. Selling 10M Notes within a couple months is niche? If that is niche, what are the Moto X, Nexus, and HTC Ones which have sold FAR LESS? Hypocrisy from a guy who kept complaining about Samsung design/build quality and now calls the coolest-looking Samsung smartphone ever pointless. The same pretty boy strategy that drives reviewers like him in buying anything with an Apple logo on it as long as it’s pretty! At least The Verge will stop having those terrible videos of BEST SMARTPHONE YOU CAN GET. Pierce did it twice last year going from 5s to 6. So predictable from such a Samsung hater and Apple Kool-Aid drinker. If Apple emulates it, I expect David to praise them for their innovation and not label it niche... K.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/galaxy-s6-edge-pointless/

Wow, someone's really offended that other people have different opinions than themselves.

He's right though, phablets are a niche, but a very large niche. But there is no way the note, 6 plus, and nexus 6 are going to outsell the regular 6, s6, HTC one, xperia, and moto x. Not sure where the g3 would land as its in between, but you get the idea.

Oh, and I finally got to play with the dge today, AWESOME handset. It seems as though Samsung finally gets it and instead of just throwing features and specs at us, is actually polishing and improving what they got. Though I think I prefer the regular s6 over the edge as it felt getter in the hand. Still trying to decide if I should give the screen size of my note to get the s6 or wait for the note 5.

Edit: just read Davids piece and I have no idea what you find so offensive about it. He said the edge was pointless, as in it had no use other than looking cool, comparing to the Note Edge where that edge actually brought some added functuonality. Its his view that this was a step back, and I see nothing wrong with that. While personally I felt those extra functions were gimmicky and feel Samsung did a better job with the s6 edge, I can totally see how someone who was a fan of the Note edge would feel its a step back. Same for those disappointed about the lack of removable battery and SD card.

Last edited:

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
I was reading some reviews from Time and Wired. I forgot the latter has Apple fan boy from The Verge, David Pierce. He actually makes decent points but is wrong on the Galaxy Note.

He mentions the Galaxy Note will forever be a niche product. LOL. Yet, without the Note, the iPhone 6 Plus wouldn't exist and we wouldn't have this upward trend in bigger screen sizes. LG is even copying Samsung with a stylus. Selling 10M Notes within a couple months is niche? If that is niche, what are the Moto X, Nexus, and HTC Ones which have sold FAR LESS? Hypocrisy from a guy who kept complaining about Samsung design/build quality and now calls the coolest-looking Samsung smartphone ever pointless. The same pretty boy strategy that drives reviewers like him in buying anything with an Apple logo on it as long as it’s pretty! At least The Verge will stop having those terrible videos of BEST SMARTPHONE YOU CAN GET. Pierce did it twice last year going from 5s to 6. So predictable from such a Samsung hater and Apple Kool-Aid drinker. If Apple emulates it, I expect David to praise them for their innovation and not label it niche... K.

this was a terrible critique. glad you don't actually write real reviews.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Anyone seen the green emerald one advertised in the UK ANYWHERE ?
I was under the impression from all the carriers & retail stores that UK & Ireland aren't getting the green one at launch. Just white & black seem to be up for offer....

Only place I've seen the green is on Amazon.de

So yeah UK & the Emerald Isle (Ireland) - no Emerald green Edge. At least at launch.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I was under the impression from all the carriers & retail stores that UK & Ireland aren't getting the green one at launch. Just white & black seem to be up for offer....

Only place I've seen the green is on Amazon.de

So yeah UK & the Emerald Isle (Ireland) - no Emerald green Edge. At least at launch.

Just heard I won't be able to upgrade before August anyway so by that time there will be hopefully 128GB Green Emerald ones available.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Pre-ordered my Black Sapphire GS6 Edge from T-Mobile yesterday. Already shipped! :D

rt430k.jpg

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
Ok gave in to temptation and ordered an Emerald Green Edge ('cause I'm Irish). Got the 64gb version from our distributor in Germany and looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks.

Most I've ever spent (well my business) on a phone!

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S6s-battery-life-test-score-trails-that-of-its-predecessor_id67632

S6 edge's stamina higher than regular S6 with 50 mAh more?

What surprises me more is iPhone 6 Plus is close with M9. But remember using a different browser can make YMMV even between Safari vs Chrome vs default Android browser, etc. The killer to the M9 is how low its video playback is. If video playback is low, it means SOT will be low even with FRUGAL usage since in most cases that has a higher number than browsing.

But kudos to Phone Arena and GSM Arena for giving us a solid number. AnandTech gives us different charts but doesn't give us a concrete RATING overall although their reviews are very detailed. Most VIDEO reviews on YouTube doesn't give us much info on battery life except maybe Ash from C4ETech but usually a video playback result. Nothing from PocketNow although Michael Fisher does make nice camera comparisons living in Massachusetts. More scenic.

Pointless S6 edge? Yeah, and it will sell probably 20M+ or more. Not bad for a "niche" product to outsell the first two generation iPhones, Notes, and most product lines from LG, Motorola, HTC, Sony, Xiaomi, Lenovo, Huawei, OPPO, Gionee/BLU, Google Nexus, and the current Nokia/Microsoft. People will FORGET of its flaws like on iPhones and simply buy the S6 edge for the looks and prettier marketing with early software built for it. There was a time the original iPhone had ZERO 3rd party apps its first year unless you jailbroke it. It sold like 8M available in limited carriers, countries, and a giant price tag. Sales of 20M is quite doable for the S6 edge.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok gave in to temptation and ordered an Emerald Green Edge ('cause I'm Irish). Got the 64gb version from our distributor in Germany and looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks.

Most I've ever spent (well my business) on a phone!
Oh ye lucky fecker! !

Why on earth we can't get the Emerald here? I want a 64gb Emerald Green too :)

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

This clown is the biggest Apple loyalist in the industry. Everyone knows it. He single handily is the reason a lot of other reviewers called The Verge, iVerge. Erica Griffin I know refers to The Verge in this manner. You almost gotta wonder if Wired hired him just to get back into Apple's good graces after bendgate. This guy so blatantly gushes over Apple's aesthetics, without mentioning the loss of features of removable battery and SD card. Then goes on and has the nerve of calling the Edge pointless? Why are aesthetics alone not enough in this case? So how about the point of a device like the Edge moving technology forward, the point of having a unique form factor that others simply will not match in the next year or so. Like I said, complete clown. There's opinion, then there's simple hate towards an OEM. I say OEM because he doesn't hate android, he hates Samsung. He can never just say how good a Samsung device is without ending the review with an overall negative vibe. Something he has never done with an Apple device. It's the consistency of this that shows he is just hating. I did my fair share of Android and Samsung hate, but eventually you wake up because you get tired of spending your hard earned cash on inferior hardware and software. I was a Windows Phone devotee.

Last edited:

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Last edited:

rmsanger

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
I'm likely making the switch from my iP5 to the edge when green arrives. I may wait for the note edge to release but the gs is probably a better size for me.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Played with the edge today at best buy when I was buying a moto 360. Really cool phone. The only thing I don't like about it is how light it it. I like a phone with weight to it

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Played with the edge today at best buy when I was buying a moto 360. Really cool phone. The only thing I don't like about it is how light it it. I like a phone with weight to it

Yeah it does feel really light to me too. Hope it isn't too light once I have it and use it as my daily driver.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Yeah it does feel really light to me too. Hope it isn't too light once I have it and use it as my daily driver.
Yeah I just got the nexus 6 today, so I want be getting it. It does look really good though. Those rounded edges are just so smooth.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Ahhh enjoy the N6. Really nice phone.
Well I have been using an iPhone for the last year and half, so it's nice to be using android again for a bit. I was just really disappoint by the Apple Watch (well mainly the price), so I thought I would give wear a try. Are you planning on picking up the S6 edge?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Well I have been using an iPhone for the last year and half, so it's nice to be using android again for a bit. I was just really disappoint by the Apple Watch (well mainly the price), so I thought I would give wear a try. Are you planning on picking up the S6 edge?

I have the Verizon white edge 32GB on pre order. Let's see how it stacks up against my Note 4 and 6+. It might be too small!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.