Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ati1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Hi guys, just wondering whether you guys will consider getting a refurbished macbook air 2014 or a retina macbook? the price difference is quite significant

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It all depends if you want the retina screen or a larger display.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Hi guys, just wondering whether you guys will consider getting a refurbished macbook air 2014 or a retina macbook? the price difference is quite significant

Well there's a reason for the price difference. It all depends on what you want out of a Mac.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I would think the price difference would be the biggest determinant here. The rMB is a brand-new device in a tiny form factor. You'll be paying a premium for that. If price were for some reason not a factor, I'd get the rMB, personally.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I would think the price difference would be the biggest determinant here. The rMB is a brand-new device in a tiny form factor. You'll be paying a premium for that. If price were for some reason not a factor, I'd get the rMB, personally.

The other big factor for me is the display. I made a second try last month at becoming a happy 11" MBA owner. I got an open box, absolutely pristine (probably only powered up once) 11" for $775, just a little over half what the base rMB will cost. Unfortunately, I was reminded all over again why both of my prior attempts to be a happy MBA owner failed: the display is really poor. I could take or leave the other differences; these two were the ones that really stood out for me.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I couldn't turn down a retina display. That will make using the rMB a far more pleasurable experience.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
You've tried it and didn't like it?

you've tried it and like it?

All i've seen in review is either they don't like it or said they would take them a few hours (at least) to get used to it.

Sounds like the Microsoft surface touch keyboard

Souli

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
only you can answer that question because you know your requirements for the device and what compromises you are able to make in order to get that.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
This is a tough decision. I'm also contemplating on either a new 2015 MBA or MB. I like the MB strictly for the gold color (and maybe 12" screen - this is pending once I see it in person), but the MBA has a better CPU, ports and a screen I'm comfortable using on a daily basis.

Something tells me I'm going for the MB (as long as that 12" screen is comfy). I can deal with using an USB-C adapter for flash drives and SD cards which I still use.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Retina screen only please.....non retina screens should be the punishment we use on gang members and people who talk in movie theaters.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

All i've seen in review is either they don't like it or said they would take them a few hours (at least) to get used to it.

No, I haven't, but I'm not the person who's posting that it doesn't work before I've tried it. :rolleyes:

fcomstoc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I have been using a rMBP since I got it in early 2014, the screen resolution makes a huge difference, I would never be able to get anything done on the low resolution MBA, it just does not display enough. The newer MBP is so light and thin now that I would never get an air (without a retina display anyway).

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015

Thats to be expected, to a certain extent. For myself anyway having watched the intro videos, and taken seriously how they've redesigned and thinned out the keyboard. I'd guess hard key stompers will have a longer adaptation period, and soft key strokers will have an easier time.

Encom82

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I ended up getting the MBA 11 refurb, the price was just too good to pass up. I don't have a keen eye so a retina display doesn't mean much to me. Thinness and light weight do, but not at the current price difference.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I ended up getting the MBA 11 refurb, the price was just too good to pass up. I don't have a keen eye so a retina display doesn't mean much to me. Thinness and light weight do, but not at the current price difference.

Having bad eyes is all the more reason to get retina... it's like saying you're sticking with an old SD tv because HDTV doesn't make a difference. If your eyes are so bad that HD vs SD aren't noticeable, I hope your drivers license has been taken away.

Encom82

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
I dont have bad eyes at all, i just don't see any difference besides some slightly sharper looking text.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Displays are a personal thing. Having said that, I personally don't think resolution is the weakest part of the MBA TN display panels. I find the horrible viewing angles and poor color gamut and accuracy (even after correction ) a bigger problem. If it doesn't bother people, they're fortunate because the 11" MBA is otherwise a beautiful little machine and it can be gotten (as a refurb) for hundreds less than the rMB is going to sell for when it hits the shelves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.