Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amthrupm

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
Hong Kong
useless chinese

These chinese characters simply say "here" or "over here" (zhe4 bian1). Also, the handwriting looks very childish (like a year 1 chinese student).... not proof either way

nagromme said:
It would be silly for me claim certainty, but my gut reaction is:

* Images that are probably real (55% chance): Only the original "classic" test-pattern photo with the Chinese characters that nobody has translated. (Despite the suspicions people have raised, some of which are legitimate. That video, however, was not convincing as has been discussed to death.)

* Images that are probably fake (75% chance): Everything seen since then, including these. But if so, these are well done at least. The "brush marks" don't bother me, but the UI seems odd to me.

That's not proof, just my gut reaction.

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
Eminem's FACK is 3:25... the screen totals 4:25. In addition, it it were 2:16 in with 2:09 remaining, the progress bar would be approx. 1/2 way through, not 2/3 of the way through. I call shenanigans.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
If they're fake then it's a really good photoshop. The previous 'extended 5G screen' was very obvious because the perspective was wrong at the end of the screen, not so here. 3 shots too, which have to be consistent - although the point about the headphone jack not being visible on the first photo seems to be valid, although I can see something very faint there. Other people have mentioned that the picture stands up to standard analysis as well.

The whole Ice Age 2 thing is a pointless discussion. Why use this film in a mockup? It hasn't even been released yet, the scene shown might be from the trailer, so the wrong time would give it away as a fake, but if it is the full version ... from a DVD Screener perhaps - I'm sure the sort of person that reviews movies for the media would also get iPods and accessories to review as well, and watching the film on the iPod would be a sensible way to do both reviews. OTOH it is a coincidence that they took a picture that just happened to be in the trailer...

The second picture is hard to see what the film is - it's upside down, and it looks like some ruined buildings, possibly in black and white. Assuming that the pictures are real, then it could be from another upcoming movie (or DVD) release, any guesses?

Also regarding fack, yeah, it looks suspicious that the song is 3:25 and the display shows 4:25 - but this would be a rather amateur mistake to make. I guess that someone made a mockup of the UI in photoshop, then took a picture of the mockup on their monitor, then spliced that into the final picture very skillfully.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
chuckiej said:
People, video is divided into Frames after Seconds. There are 30 frames per second. Therefore, 17:33 or whatever with 17 being seconds makes no sense. It would have to be 17 minutes and 33 seconds into an unreleased movie.

In case you missed it, that was a joke..

chuckiej said:
And no, even if Ice Age was made by Pixar, there's no way Steve would let an unreleased movie be on an iPod, even his own prototype.

If Steve had that kind of control on the prototype iPods, there wouldn't be leaked shots of them on the net. (I'm still sceptical about these, but the 5G ones were real).

IF these are real, someone just transferred a movie (or trailer) to the iPod and took a few photos. Steve wasn't involved in picking the movie for the leak.

MarcelV

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
whooleytoo said:
IF these are real, someone just transferred a movie (or trailer) to the iPod and took a few photos. Steve wasn't involved in picking the movie for the leak.
I think you missed the point. Ice Age 2 hasn't been released..... and the trailer isn't 17:33......and the slider shows that it is approx. 1/6 into the movie....

Demon

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2004
on earth
eh..

i like the idea, but photoshopped iPods are old news...

i agree that the new "AV" better have other functions. preferably PDA functions that seamlessly syncs to iLife and iCal, mail... etc.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
MarcelV said:
I think you missed the point. Ice Age 2 hasn't been released..... and the trailer isn't 17:33......and the slider shows that it is approx. 1/6 into the movie....

;) And you missed mine - what Steve wants/allows on the prototype iPods isn't a factor here. Whoever leaked these photos (assuming for one moment that they are real) isn't exactly in the "I do what Steve tells me" mould!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
What I wanna know is...

What about the "missing frames" ??

Is it a coverup?

Is MacShrine really suspended for posting real photos ?

What about the shadows?

And the missing headphone port ??

:rolleyes:

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
And this?????:confused:

108735599_740704dfa2_o.jpg

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
I think that fact that around 100 14yr olds (from all the photos) own these little devices makes them umm...fake

wkhahn

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
standing over your shoulder
Controls

ero87 said:
If the controls "appear" when you touch the screen, how would the pictures show the controls? nobody is touching the screen.

The controls are in the photos for two reasons.
First, the movie is paused. A good reason for the controls to remain until the movie is unpaused.
Second, the music is playing. If in music mode, why not constantly display the touch-wheel?

Also, the edited photo showing the difference in contrast are in line with each other, and show a repeated pattern to them, suggesting shadows of a regualr pattern from above; maybe an exposed pipe, or tiled cielings.

Sorry if this has all been mentioned already.

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
mashinhead said:
If you watch the trailer it is that image about 17 seconds in.

No, actually a screenshot from the trailer showes that frame just over 28 seconds in...

~V

modernpixel

macrumors member
May 15, 2005
New York, NY
The general concept for the iPod video - full bleed LCD touchscreen - has remained the same for all of the rumor mockups. But I can't get past a couple of things:

1.) Fingerprints. Fingerprints. Fingerprints. Would a user have to carry around an iCloth to continually wipe smudges off of the screen. Seems like a nit-pick...but think about what that would be like after a week of using the thing.

2.) Battery life - powering an LCD screen that size that has to be always-on AND running a processor that is playing video is going to require some serious battery power. I'm not sure that people should expect the form factor to be so small. Unless Apple has invented a new power source....maybe the iPods will run directly off of the power of Steve Jobs' ego.

3.) Is the demand there yet? Downloadable TV shows and music videos are now available at the iTMS, but is there any research that suggests that people are actually watching them portably, and not on their computers? I think for Apple to truly delve into this territory, hardware wise, there would need to be a clear demand for portable video -- otherwise I think we'll be looking at more of a focus on downloadable video content for playback on computer/TV.

Perhaps if the iPod Video offers other functions, as someone else suggested, it might appeal more broadly.

4.) When are they going to change the name of the iTunes Music Store? The brand doesn't make much sense anymore, especially if they bust it out into a full fledged movie/tv/music store. Even the name of the application - iTunes, doesn't work anymore.

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
From http://www.macshrine.com which is now back up:

Many apologies for the downtime, Apple Legal sent a DCMA to our hosts who then suspended us for most of the morning. We have now removed all mention of the device from MacShrine. I’m sure that you can still find them on mirrors though *hint* Thankfully we can now leave this whole iPod mess behind us and hope another fiasco like this will never happen again, thousands of you must be so confused by all the images coming back and forth! Anyway, thanks for your understanding and we do hope some of you get the joke on the right…

To the right is a mini poster for Ice Age 2...

I'm kind of counfused since DCMA has no legal signifigance (http://www.acronymattic.com/results.aspx?q=DCMA). But I must stand in hope.

~V

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Hey Kids,

THEY ARE ALL FAKE!

Do you think it's any coincidence that within 2 weeks of a video being released that shows how to fake this "iPod" that everyone with a copy of photoshop is releasing their own fake to pull one over on the mac community?

And think back, how many of the "leaked" apple/mac photos have been real? of the ones that have I don't believe any of them (correct me if I'm wrong) were nice clear photos taken in a users home?

It baffles me that you people even need to study these photos to know their fake. Please stop, your embarassing yourselves.

Ghibli

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Trieste - Italy
Boingy said:
From http://www.macshrine.com which is now back up:

Many apologies for the downtime, Apple Legal sent a DCMA to our hosts who then suspended us for most of the morning. We have now removed all mention of the device from MacShrine.
~V

Very interesting... Apple legal moving very fast this time... gives room to think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.