Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Hmm that's very interesting that Apple legal are apparently getting involved. I say apparently, because normally Apple go after all sites hosting the image, not just one. Engadget and TUAW are still showing it.

3 Options -

* 1 - The image is of a real, currently unreleased Apple product.
* 2 - MacShrine are trying to make their story more believable (this could backfire in a big way)
* 3 - Apple are getting sick of all this forgery and speculation.

lorien

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Oslo, Norway
More sugar, gimme more!

Boingy said:
What about the video? http://youtube.com/watch?v=B1H_d_7CVPc

I hold out hope for it's all I can do.

~V

OMG, that video is so cool!! :eek: :)
Either these kids are getting real good at photoshopping or Steve's going to be real pissed soon!

(rubbing my paws together with glee)

[EDIT] Awww, I see it now, the reflection of the light doesn't move....another big fat FAKE :rolleyes:

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Boingy said:
What about the video? http://youtube.com/watch?v=B1H_d_7CVPc

I hold out hope for it's all I can do.

~V

oh boy your right, because fake videos have never turned up before.

Also look at that video, sure he's scrolling over the virtual wheel but notice how nothing is really happening? Basically when he starts moving his thumb over the video editor just faded in some OS X looking stuff, yet would there be a volume indecator or video scrub bar appearing and doing something as well?

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Apple's Reaction

A response from the legal department does not necessarily mean that the image is real, or even that it closely resembles something that Apple is developing. It could be nothing more than to maintain secrecy for an upcoming event.

How many people read through the posts here and elsewhere regarding the potential introduction of a similar iPod on the 28th and were immensely disappointed when it didn't happen? I imagine there were quite a few. Could Apple be taking preemptive action as to guard against another letdown (or backlash in some cases)?

That said, I don't think the photos are genuine, but find it interesting that so many have closely coordinated their designs of a new iPod as if to reach some sort of amateur consensus of what it "should" look like. I think some are either giving the folks who have created the mockups too much credit, or Mr. Ive too little.

lorien

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2006
Oslo, Norway
dornoforpyros said:
oh boy your right, because fake videos have never turned up before.

Also look at that video, sure he's scrolling over the virtual wheel but notice how nothing is really happening? Basically when he starts moving his thumb over the video editor just faded in some OS X looking stuff, yet would there be a volume indecator or video scrub bar appearing and doing something as well?

I guess it's logical that if a movie is playing then scrolling the wheel would be volume adjustment.
What's with this guy and his flashlight-in-the-broomcupboard fetish?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
boncellis said:
How many people read through the posts here and elsewhere regarding the potential introduction of a similar iPod on the 28th and were immensely disappointed when it didn't happen? I imagine there were quite a few. Could Apple be taking preemptive action as to guard against another letdown (or backlash in some cases)?

Yeah, I agree. We all get worked up for something that just might be technologically impossible to produce in that form factor (since even decoding the video would require more battery), and if a real video iPod ever comes out, and it's 15% thicker than any of these mockups, then the "Negative Rumor Rating" will soar.

Much like that Hi-Fi thing. I don't like it, but I would have liked it more had it been a total surprise. Instead all those rumors about it being "totally unique" made me imagine all sorts of magic, when, in fact, "totally unique" translated to "runs on batteries, too"

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
mainstreetmark said:
Yeah, I agree. We all get worked up for something that just might be technologically impossible to produce in that form factor (since even decoding the video would require more battery), and if a real video iPod ever comes out, and it's 15% thicker than any of these mockups, then the "Negative Rumor Rating" will soar.

I would have to call shenanigans on that. Even if it had to be 25% thicker than my 4G 40GB model and a little bigger in the othe 2D I would jump at one of these. I expect a good chunk of folk are the same way.

That having been said, methinks that there will not be as big of a market for this device as the standard iPod. You can't watch it when you drive for one. There are a lot of tasks where we can use auditory distraction while needing visual focus and the iPod can provide that. On the other hand, unless you are a total info-slut it's hard to walk and watch a movie/read a book.

~V

milo2020

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2005
No one else noticed how bad the reflection is of the thumb in the second photo? Definite fakes

Sam*

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
UK
Sorry if it has been metioned..

but all the fake photos use feel good inc by gorillaz the same as the advertisement for the ipod 5g and at the exact same time as the advertisements for the ipod 5g (3:41)

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Sam* said:
Sorry if it has been metioned..

but all the fake photos use feel good inc by gorillaz the same as the advertisement for the ipod 5g and at the exact same time as the advertisements for the ipod 5g (3:41)

Interesting, and I don't recall this being mentioned. Thanks for the insight... and dashing my hopes. :p

~V

Sam*

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
UK
Boingy said:
Interesting, and I don't recall this being mentioned. Thanks for the insight... and dashing my hopes. :p

~V

Hey somethng must be coming as on the Buyers Guide on here it now says for the ipod

Don't Buy - Updates soon

HarrySlone

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
Colorado
Fake or not

Fake or not its cool looking and i think that if apple introduced an ipod like this ALOT of people would buy one, myself included

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
runninmac said:
Thats a really good point. The only thing I could think of is if it has the 2 second delay type thing when you change the volume.

If anyone has the movie Ice Age maybe you could go though it and see if the scrubber is in the same spot as the iPod shows.
Can't do that. Its Ice Age 2. I don't even think it is in the theaters yet. Another cause for suspicion.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Sam* said:
Hey somethng must be coming as on the Buyers Guide on here it now says for the ipod

Don't Buy - Updates soon

That doesn't necessarily mean anything because those ratings are just based on simple time checking programs that see how long it has been since an update, and it posts the appropriate response.

jwhitnah

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2003
WI
Fack not Fake

sam10685 said:
as i said earlier, i am VERY skeptical because Apple usually doesn't let stuff like this get out but if it is fake, whoever did it did a REALLY good job... all the angles are even and stuff and the shot of it at an angle does the color-changing ting that LCD's do so--very intriguing.

Looks real to me. I only hedge because people are so good at create BS. I honestly (oh yeah sure you did) thought the last attempt with color bars looked fake.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
there's always the times when people cry out "it's fake!" when it turns out the device is not fake at all, we'll find out sooner or later if it's fake or not, if it's not around by June, then it's definitely fake, you never know until it's actually released

Boingy

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
Saw a post on gizmodo about the video and someone said 'I have proof it's real; IM me at tu madre PWN.' The following is our chat log:

Me (9:36:20 PM): hey, this may be a bit random but i saw your post on gizmodo and i'd kinda like to hear the proof...
tu madre PWN (9:36:40 PM): i'm not showing proof anymore, because everyone in the "proof" chatroom was pissing me off and i'm too lazy& busy to explain it 500 times right now.
tu madre PWN (9:36:41 PM): sorry.
tu madre PWN (9:36:47 PM): its not your fault.
Me (9:36:51 PM): ...
Me (9:36:52 PM): dubious
tu madre PWN (9:37:28 PM): i have proof, but like i said, chatroom, stupid, busy.
Me (9:37:35 PM): copy and paste
Me (9:38:04 PM): fyi it's kinda a dick thing to do to say 'ask me for proof' and then tell folk who ask for it to sod off
Me (9:39:49 PM): ah and the truth comes out; no proof it is
Me (9:39:54 PM): not cool buddy
tu madre PWN (9:39:58 PM): dude.
tu madre PWN (9:40:00 PM): ****.
Me (9:40:06 PM): insightful

That's depressing. Here's hoping he wasn't some dude on a power trip.

~V

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.