Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
California

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nothing new, Apple did this before in the past with ARM.

Edit: Looks to be another half billion dollar chip tech investment though.

semiconstructiv

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple to Acquire Chipmaker P.A. Semi for $278 Million

Forbes reports that Apple has agreed to purchase chip manufacturer P.A. Semi for $278 million. The company, founded in 2003, focuses on sophisticated, low-power chips that could possibly used in future models of the iPhone.

Article Link

starcrossed

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
San Antonio,TX
a very interesting move for Apple to be taking. for the financial and business investments made, Apple must have a big plan for the future of products like the iphone.

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
This is a very interesting move by Apple IMO. That 2.0 GHz processor could be used in a Mac mini or even a Mac OS X-based PDA. :)

JonasLondon

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
London
I'm all in favour of Apple acquiring essential technologies. They've got so much cash sitting around, investors want to see this used somehow. And look where some other technology went after they got in:

- Shake (due for total Final Cut Studio integration in 2009, or killer-app Stand-Alone-Product (code name "Phenomenon") - was 15,000 USD a seat - now 499 :) or "free" as part of simpler SmoothCam filter in Final Cut Pro
- Logic - de factor industry leader (with Pro Tools having a good seat in the Movie/Soundtrack industry) need I say more
- Color - a professional pre-Apple 25,000 USD grading application - now part of Final Cut Studio and it's fantastic

Granted, all of the above are software technologies, but still it is exciting to see they're out there hunting...

J.

I wonder if this is a result of the small package C2D used in the MacBook Air? Apple went to Intel and requested the package. Apple created an awesome product and Intel started shopping the chip around to different PC manufacturers to cut Apple's throat after Apple proved that it was worth something.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
This is a great news! P.A. Semi products are very interesting.

strikeinsilence

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2006
I just love how Apple keeps the whole industry on their toes, if you know what I mean. There's no telling what they'll so next.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Hard to evaluate this maneuver. The idea of Apple buying a chip manufacturer isn't a clear win by any means - they don't have a great deal of institutional experience fabricating microprocessors and Apple's last attempt in the chip business over a decade ago didn't go well at all.

Maybe some more info of the acquired chip maker is in order?

EDIT: Okay, read the Forbes article. Apple must know something we don't about PA Semi. I'm guessing that PA Semi must have a plausible roadmap towards a powerful, energy efficient mobile chip that Apple believes will seriously outperform Intel's Atom and future ARM offerings from Marvell and their ilk.

Still not comfortable with Apple essentially making their own microprocessors, but it does make some sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.