Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:28 PM   #101
Jeff Wampler
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Washington State
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadder007 View Post
Why does Starbucks still charge for Wi-Fi when just about everyone else's is free?
With the switch to AT&T they are suppose to be offering free Wi-Fi for two hours....i assume this is why it is also free on the Iphone.
Jeff Wampler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:28 PM   #102
pmpknetr21
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippen Man View Post
Okay, has any other iPod been like the iPod touch before with it's OS? Um, no. What I can say is that I can see a hack coming out of this for the Jailbreak community.



Um, how many times has the iPod touch been updated that had cost a fee? Once. Yes, we did roar because it's bogus that they charged us in the first place. We're paying money on an already over-priced product, especially $400.
Dude, seriously? You need to chill. Steve was VERY clear when he and the executive team said that iPhone revenue would be recognized on a subscription basis, unlike other Apple products that are recognized immediately. Therefore, touch owners will always have to pay for software updates, as they will probably have to when iPhone software update 2.0 comes out. It's ain't bogus; it's just that touch owners weren't listening.

Besides, this whole wi-fi thing is an AT&T thing, NOT Apple. Buy the $20 a month contract from AT&T for unlimited wi-fi from your touch and portable and use that if you're so inclined.

Lastly, the touch ain't overpriced; it's a hell of a product and will become the cornerstone of Apple's ultra-mobile lineup as time passes. The touch is great!
pmpknetr21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:31 PM   #103
pmpknetr21
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Actually, speaking of the WiFi Music Store, what happened to [Starbucks being available on] that. It seems Apple has dropped the ball or something. End of 2007 it was available in New York, San Francisco and Seattle and by the end of February 2008 it was supposed to be available here in Los Angeles (and Chicago by March) and yet, here it is almost May and none of the music playing in a Starbucks anywhere in Los Angeles shows up as "Playing Now" in the WiFi Music Store on an iPhone. Anyone know what happened to this feature?
I'm sure they're still working out the details and rolling out the network. Starbucks has 7000 locations; that's a lot. I have a friend that works for Starbucks; trust me: nothing is ever done on time.
pmpknetr21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:36 PM   #104
Hummer
macrumors 6502a
 
Hummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Queens, New York NY-5
Send a message via AIM to Hummer Send a message via Yahoo to Hummer Send a message via Skype™ to Hummer
I work at both Barnes and Noble and Starbucks so this is great for my breaks. I've been contemplating signing up for a while.
Hummer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:47 PM   #105
JBaker122586
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I just got back from a BN with a Starbucks in it.
I was greeted with the regular AT&T WiFi screen, asking me for a username and PW.
JBaker122586 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:00 PM   #106
slinky0390
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
I just got home from working at STARBUCKS!! gah, had I known I wouldve tried it out while I was working!
slinky0390 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:00 PM   #107
genshi
macrumors 6502a
 
genshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pasadena, California - Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by genshi View Post
Actually, speaking of the WiFi Music Store, what happened to [Starbucks being available on] that. It seems Apple has dropped the ball or something. End of 2007 it was available in New York, San Francisco and Seattle and by the end of February 2008 it was supposed to be available here in Los Angeles (and Chicago by March) and yet, here it is almost May and none of the music playing in a Starbucks anywhere in Los Angeles shows up as "Playing Now" in the WiFi Music Store on an iPhone. Anyone know what happened to this feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpknetr21 View Post
I'm sure they're still working out the details and rolling out the network. Starbucks has 7000 locations; that's a lot. I have a friend that works for Starbucks; trust me: nothing is ever done on time.
Not sure what details need to be worked out since, as I previously mentioned, it has already been rolled out in three other cities last year. And they [Apple] seemed to have already planned out everything last year (hence Jobs mentioning "Available in Los Angeles by February 2008, Chicago by March and the rest of the U.S. by 2009").

It's just one thing I've been kind of excited about since I do go into Starbucks everyday (not for the coffee though) and occasionally they do have something playing (some old Jazz or Blues song or some new artist) that I am curious about and would like to see pop up on the iPhone. Just thought that would be a pretty neat and innovative little feature that seems to have lost it's steam before it really got completely rolled out... I'm surprised no one else has really been too interested in this.
genshi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:09 PM   #108
Quillz
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Send a message via AIM to Quillz Send a message via MSN to Quillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace View Post
Awesome, finally a benefit from having AT&T&T&T!!
I agree, this is a good move on AT&T's part.
Quillz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:17 PM   #109
Rocketman
macrumors 603
 
Rocketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Claremont, CA
I notice your battery is at about 30%.

Apple! Double size internal battery option!

Rocketman
__________________
Think Different-ly!
All R House jobs bills die in D Senate. Buy a model rocket here: http://v-serv.com/usr/instaship-visual.htm Thanks.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:22 PM   #110
Pippen Man
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpknetr21 View Post
Dude, seriously? You need to chill. Steve was VERY clear when he and the executive team said that iPhone revenue would be recognized on a subscription basis, unlike other Apple products that are recognized immediately. Therefore, touch owners will always have to pay for software updates, as they will probably have to when iPhone software update 2.0 comes out. It's ain't bogus; it's just that touch owners weren't listening.

Besides, this whole wi-fi thing is an AT&T thing, NOT Apple. Buy the $20 a month contract from AT&T for unlimited wi-fi from your touch and portable and use that if you're so inclined.

Lastly, the touch ain't overpriced; it's a hell of a product and will become the cornerstone of Apple's ultra-mobile lineup as time passes. The touch is great!
Sorry for the rage earlier, it happens when you have a 10-page English paper due tomorrow. I agree that the iPod touch is going to be the cornerstone of the iPhone OS revolution, but still, I think that $400 is way overpriced.

And about the Starbucks thing, I've come to a conclusion: I don't go to Starbucks at all. But still, great idea to attract iPhone customers.

And, yes, the Touch is great!
__________________
Windows Vista... or Windows Mojave?
iPod touch 16GB 2.0
iPod shuffle, 1GB
Pippen Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:22 PM   #111
RoscoeUA
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Works at the Tuscaloosa, AL Barnes & Noble
__________________
MacBook Pro: 15 in. 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo - 8GB RAM - 1TB GB Hard Drive
iPhone 4: 16GB Black - v4.2.1
RoscoeUA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:25 PM   #112
MacinDoc
macrumors 68020
 
MacinDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Great White North
Not bad for a company whose commitment to customer service has been questioned by most posters on these forums...
__________________
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do."
MacinDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:43 PM   #113
weave
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Good deal for AT&T

This is a wise move for AT&T for multiple reasons, but one I haven't seen mentioned yet is that iPhone users will use EDGE if they can't get onto WiFi so I am sure diverting these users to WiFi takes load from the cellular network and hence reduces AT&T's costs or at least limits demand for EDGE so not as much build-out is required.
weave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:55 PM   #114
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippen Man View Post
I have an iPod touch and this is bitter to me. Tisk another example of Apple screwing over Touch owners. But, if I were Apple, to get more revenue, maybe have what they did with the January Software Update and charge like 10 bucks to use this. I don't know, or maybe just include it for free.
How much do you pay ATT (or Apple, for that matter) per month? WHY should they give you a service that costs them money for free? It's too bad, Americans used to lack that entitled attitude (coming from an American).
cameronjpu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:20 PM   #115
cameronjpu
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadder007 View Post
Why does Starbucks still charge for Wi-Fi when just about everyone else's is free?
Because clearly people want it badly enough that they pay for it. If everywhere else is free, why do you care if Starbucks charges?
cameronjpu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:26 PM   #116
ntrigue
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Develop Menu > User Agent > Mobile Safari 1.1.3 - iPhone

It works! (be sure to open new window after performing above)

edit: Navigate in Safari to Preferences > Advanced and at the bottom check "Show Develop menu in menu bar"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	52790
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	114207  

Last edited by ntrigue; May 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:35 PM   #117
jsgrabo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
Develop Menu > User Agent > Mobile Safari 1.1.3 - iPhone

It works! (be sure to open new window after performing above)
you just made my night.
jsgrabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:52 PM   #118
4God
macrumors 68000
 
4God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ventura, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
Develop Menu > User Agent > Mobile Safari 1.1.3 - iPhone

It works! (be sure to open new window after performing above)
Where's this located?
4God is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:54 PM   #119
chickenninja
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: inside my skull
A step backwards

This is disappointing, to think that a promotion would limit its audience to AT&T-iphone users. There are thousands of places that have free wifi for your laptop, your iphone and your ipod-touch. And they expect me to be excited that I can use their wifi if I subscribe to their other services, aka spending money. This is a joke. The internet is not a premium its a fundamental, like napkins. What next drinking fountains that require you have an account with the water utility. Cyber cafe Outlets that only give electricity to certain power company users. Sports bars that only show cable to subscribers. Roads that can only be used by certain car buyers. I cant say their promotion isnt good publicity after all its front page macrumors news. Its the lack of forethought that reduces my confidence in Star-Bucks and the other participating wifi hotspots. but I think its admirable AT&T would take such an initiative to broaden their users accessibility.
However all parties fail to capture the big picture that free internet is going to be an essential,rudimentary resource for customers.
__________________
Be kind
chickenninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:56 PM   #120
Yankees 4 Life
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: College Station, Tx
Send a message via AIM to Yankees 4 Life
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
Where's this located?
to make the develop menu show up, you have to go to:

preferences>advanced tab>check "Show develop menu in toolbar"

then go to Develop>User Agent>Mobile Safari iphone 1.1.3

worked for me!
__________________
That thing is the most expensive phone out there! $599 for a phone? It won’t even sell enough to break even!-Steve Balmer
“An A-Bomb, From A-Rod”
Yankees 4 Life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:09 AM   #121
cloudnine
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to cloudnine Send a message via Skype™ to cloudnine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenninja View Post
This is disappointing, to think that a promotion would limit its audience to AT&T-iphone users. There are thousands of places that have free wifi for your laptop, your iphone and your ipod-touch. And they expect me to be excited that I can use their wifi if I subscribe to their other services, aka spending money. This is a joke. The internet is not a premium its a fundamental, like napkins. What next drinking fountains that require you have an account with the water utility. Cyber cafe Outlets that only give electricity to certain power company users. Sports bars that only show cable to subscribers. Roads that can only be used by certain car buyers. I cant say their promotion isnt good publicity after all its front page macrumors news. Its the lack of forethought that reduces my confidence in Star-Bucks and the other participating wifi hotspots. but I think its admirable AT&T would take such an initiative to broaden their users accessibility.
However all parties fail to capture the big picture that free internet is going to be an essential,rudimentary resource for customers.
You realize that your argument is asinine, right? Quit complaining and go to your "thousands" of places that offer free wi-fi. That's the solution to your problem. As much as you would love to believe that wi-fi should be offered by every public forum for free to anyone and everyone, the reality of the matter is that it's nobody's obligation to supply you with something that you would like to have for free.

Quit complaining and wasting our time. "k thx bye"
cloudnine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:14 AM   #122
cloudnine
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to cloudnine Send a message via Skype™ to cloudnine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
Develop Menu > User Agent > Mobile Safari 1.1.3 - iPhone

It works! (be sure to open new window after performing above)

edit: Navigate in Safari to Preferences > Advanced and at the bottom check "Add Develop to Menu bar"
Oh my god. I want to bear your children! Thank you!
cloudnine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:36 AM   #123
chickenninja
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: inside my skull
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Dubs View Post
maybe this is a sign that AT&T's contract for iPhone exclusivity isn't as long as we thought? It seems that AT&T is trying more and more to make the iPhone agreement more attractive. I already have AT&T so I'm stoked to have Wi-Fi speeds at Starbucks when I get my 2nd Gen iPhone (READ APPLE: I won't buy a iPhone till the next gen comes out- so hurry up already!). This might make more people less against AT&T's wireless plans- if for $60 you get access to Edge and all their WiFi spots, thats not bad. Better than T-Mobile!
I think your right on the money, this is definitely the latest of a series of signs that AT&T's iphone monopoly is coming to an end. For instance: if you keep playing AT&Ts game youll "pass GO" and receive a $200(rebate).
__________________
Be kind
chickenninja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:41 AM   #124
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
I guess keeping my iPhone plan sans iPhone is a good thing then.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:51 AM   #125
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000
 
8CoreWhore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Big D
Like looking at truckers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfurter View Post
Why do people get so worked up over this? I actually have a life, and don't spend inordinate amounts of time at Starbucks or Barnes & Noble.

Guess what else? McDonalds has free Wi-Fi, as does Burger King. I've found it at various restaurants around town, including doctors offices, hospitals, and Best Buy, even little gift shops and grocery store.

So again - so what.....
Let's see... I can relax in Starbucks in a big comfy chair surfing the internet with beautiful woman coming and going or I can sit on a plastic chair in McDonalds with screaming kids running around and fat truckers reading the local rag.

This is for people who like wifi at Starbucks. Not just wifi wherever. If you don't like Starbucks, fine. Don't go there. See how that works?
8CoreWhore is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AT&T Wi-Fi Service for iPhone kerouazy25 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Aug 18, 2008 12:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC