Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

"Brightsite", the Twitter account of Dutch site Bright.nl, reports that TomTom has sent out a brief invitation to a special media event scheduled for September 22nd. iPhoneclub.nl reprints [Google translation] the text of the invitation in its entirety:
Dear Journalist,

"TomTom will reveal the future of navigation to you" on Tuesday, the 22nd of September (from 10:30 am until 2 pm) ... Save the date!

More information to follow soon!

Warm regards,

The TomTom PR team!
While no mention of the much-anticipated TomTom for iPhone hardware/software solution is made in the invitation, speculation is unsurprisingly touching on the introduction of the company's iPhone offerings as a possible topic for the event.

Article Link: TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd?

Rsquare.OB

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
Too Late!!

Tom Tom is too late. I just ordered a stand-a-lone Tom Tom 4.3" for $145.00. Why pay for an untested app, extra mount that can't be used unless my iPHone is naked, etc. Plus, I get free map updates.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
I think a lot of people that were holding out for tom tom just decided to buy another "proven" iPhone app. You snooz you lose tt.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009

"Brightsite", the Twitter account of Dutch site Bright.nl, reports that TomTom has sent out a brief invitation to a special media event scheduled for September 22nd. iPhoneclub.nl reprints [Google translation] the text of the invitation in its entirety:While no mention of the much-anticipated TomTom for iPhone hardware/software solution is made in the invitation, speculation is unsurprisingly touching on the introduction of the company's iPhone offerings as a possible topic for the event.

Article Link: TomTom Special Media Event on September 22nd?

Last day of summer, I wonder if they'll release something or just say we didn't make it in time?

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
wake me up when we get there.......Right now I have a whole alot of I really don't care since it's over a month and a half away.......

They lost all their excitement when they didn't release it within a week of OS 3.0.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Like watching paint dry. Of course this will be after Navigon raises their prices (if they've not done so already).

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
No offense, but a company that takes THIS long to produce a product doesnt deserve my business. Imagine how long it will take them to pump out a software update... Jesus...

dkhenkin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah screw that. I have been waiting since the tomtom app was announced but the wait is getting ridiculous. I will wait till the 14th before the Navigon app goes full price to buy the TomTom app.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
I think a lot of people that were holding out for tom tom just decided to buy another "proven" iPhone app. You snooz you lose tt.

+1 Come on, Tom Tom. You've been making standalones for how long now? I realize that doesn't necessarily equate to an overnight iPhone app, but DAMN! All the hard work was done a long time ago.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
I'm still getting the app but I can't blame any of you for giving up on TomTom.

I'm still hoping Garmin crashes the iPhone GPS party next. :D

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL

Fools - it won't be "proven" until after it has been released and tested

They are late to the party, so let's hope they come in with a big splash.

Unfortunately for them, they are diving into a dried-up pool.

1) Current apps (e.g. Navigon) working great on iPhone
2) Wow - a mount...that you can only use without a case...brilliant
3) Who doesn't already have a charger in the car?
4) ? costly

UNLESS this is the iPhone of iPhone navigation apps, Tom Tom will never regain market share it lost by being late to the party.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
Maybe they'll have it right when it releases.
People are saying Navigon over G-MAP, but I don't have the problems with G-Map that I'm reading with Navigon.

It could possible benefit Tom Tom in the long run if their price is competitive, and most all of the Reviews are positive.

dkhenkin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
I'm really pissed off with TomTom on this whole iPhone thing. How can they announce their GPS product then be beaten by 4 other competitors to the app store. Do they have mentally handicapped people running their business strategy division? They must understand how much business they have lost because of this absurdity.

They should have just released the app already despite whether the mount was ready or not. They are ****ing retarded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.