Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VMware today announced the October 27th launch of VMware Fusion 3, a significant update to the company's virtualization solution that allows Mac users to run Windows applications right alongside OS X applications. The new version reportedly brings over 50 new features and improvements, including Snow Leopard optimization and full Windows 7 compatibility.
Key highlights include:

- Optimized for Snow Leopard. Built from the ground up for the Mac, VMware Fusion 3 leverages Mac OS X Snow Leopard's advanced architecture with a new 64-bit core engine and native support for the 64-bit kernel, delivering even better Windows on Mac performance.

- Ultimate Windows 7 Experience. VMware Fusion 3 will be the first to enable the full Windows 7 experience, side-by-side with your Mac, complete with Windows Aero and Flip 3D.

- Switching Made Easy. VMware Fusion 3 will make it easy for users to bring their entire PC to their Mac in a few easy steps - wirelessly or with a simple Ethernet cable - allowing customers to protect investments in existing Windows software, and to keep using the programs they still need.

- Best-in-Class 3D Graphics. Support for OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 will enable users to run their favorite 3D Windows games and applications - all without rebooting.
VMware Fusion 3 is now available for pre-order at a suggested price of $79.99, with upgrading pricing of $39.99 available to current VMware Fusion users.

Article Link: VMware Fusion 3 to Launch October 27th

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
I am so getting this!!
The only question is whether it will be able to run Left4Dead and or other Source games properly - I never could get it working on Fusion 2.

0John0

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Is there a Beta of Fusion 3 available.
Please notify me! I need it!

There is no public beta available (it was private testing).

I'm still under the NDA, but I've been testing it extensively, and the speed increase is noticable. I still can't get Aero in my VM working properly, but the new features are GREAT! :)

RobMSantos

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2009
Greater St. Louis, USA
I wonder if the Flip 3D and Aero interface works in unity mode. Parallels has this but requires you to be in Fullscreen or Windows and not Coherence mode.

Edit: I was referring to the Parallels 5 beta currently in testing.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002

- Best-in-Class 3D Graphics. Support for OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 will enable users to run their favorite 3D Windows games and applications - all without rebooting.

Games?

That's all I need to hear!

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Looks interesting. I normally use BootCamp full time, but if this is good enough, I may switch over.

I use both, but install Windows on BC and then let Fusion use the BC partition. It's the best of both worlds since sometimes older s/w doesn't like Fusions "virtual" ports but will work fine in BC. 99% of the time I use Fusion. You hardly know it's virtualization s/w and sure beats having to shutdown/reboot to use Win. However, for some tasks, unfortunately, you need BC. Maybe Fusion 3 will change that. We'll see.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Is there any advantage to preordering? The website seems no longer to offer the old version for sale (which is good), so it's hard to tell...

My feeling is: it can't possibly be as machine destroying as Parallels.

0John0

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
I wonder if the Flip 3D and Aero interface works in unity mode. Parallels has this but requires you to be in Fullscreen or Windows and not Coherence mode.

Edit: I was referring to the Parallels 5 beta currently in testing.

No, they do not work in Unity.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Is there any advantage to preordering? The website seems no longer to offer the old version for sale (which is good), so it's hard to tell...

My feeling is: it can't possibly be as machine destroying as Parallels.

I can't imagine there's a faster way to get it then by just downloading when it's available. I'm sure that'd be true for upgrades.

Aadhil

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
California
Hmmm when I switched from windows I never really saw the need to use windows EVER. Heck I didn't even give it a second thought. I don't really wan't to stain my system with windows 7 so I'll be giving VMware a pass thankyouverymuch :D

p.s. I weaned myself of games by the time I was 21 so that isn't much of an issue either :p

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
So, to anyone is in the beta, can you tell us what your "Windows Experience Index"is when running a VM compared to running on it's own (under Bootcamp)?

Aero compatibility, to me, would mean they're finally getting graphics processing to the capabilities on par with running the native OS. I'd like to know how close they're getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.