Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Looks like I'll be getting this with Windows 7 and getting rid of Boot Camp. Plus I like VM's icon wayyyy better.

0John0

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
VMware rocks but Parallels 5 is looking good.

I wish I had the Beta so I could test the two I am a Fusion 2 owner and like the overall experience of the past releases.

Please invite me to the Beta.... Please

The private beta was out in April. You missed the boat :p

Fastshutter

Aug 21, 2007
A little off topic, but wouldn't it be nice if Apple licensed OSX for virtualization on windows boxes? It would be great for people like me who have to support OSX users but really have no interest in owning a mac ourselves. It would save me the hassle of putting together a hackintosh.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I wonder if they've fixed the problems I had with mounting my Mac drive in the Windows VM (v 2. something)?

It worked fine for a lot of things, but had problems, e.g., with rebuilding Visual Studio 2005 projects stored on the mounted Mac drive.

As a result I used Parallels or Bootcamp w/MacDrive until Snow Leopard and now just bootcamp...

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Games?

That's all I need to hear!

Unless something fundamental changed in v3 (which is certainly possible), Windows apps (including games) running in Fusion have direct accesss to the processor, but do not have direct hardware access to the video card. So while Fusion 3 will support DirectX 9.0, I imagine that games like Left4Dead, FarCry, etc will still run substantially slower in Fusion than in BootCamp.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
As I mentioned in my post, Parallels does Aero too in their upcoming version. Another poster mentioned that that neither support it in Coherence or Unity mode though.

Parallels pissed me off by taking months to issue an update to allow you to install Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 9.04, and I'm sure they'll do the same for the upcoming Ubuntu 9.10. All of which is fine, if they'd bother to keep their customers in the loop.

Alith

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
London, UK.
Does anyone know how much of an overhead there is going to be as far as 3D gaming performance is concerned? Will you still have to Bootcamp for optimal full screen DX9c/OpenGL performance and does it support DX10?

0John0

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
So, to anyone is in the beta, can you tell us what your "Windows Experience Index"is when running a VM compared to running on it's own (under Bootcamp)?

Aero compatibility, to me, would mean they're finally getting graphics processing to the capabilities on par with running the native OS. I'd like to know how close they're getting.

Let me just put it this way (without violating my NDA :D)...Aero in the VM is very sluggish unless you have a good processor and plenty of RAM.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
VMware rocks but Parallels 5 is looking good.

I wish I had the Beta so I could test the two I am a Fusion 2 owner and like the overall experience of the past releases.

Please invite me to the Beta.... Please
If you just want to "kick the tires", wait til its released and do the the 30-day free trial of it. They have 30-day free trials on virtually all of their other products, wouldn't see why VMWare 3.0 wouldn't have it too.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Same old.. with every release of Parallels and Fusion, they promise amazing gaming performance.

I'm guessing it'll be as crap as usual..

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Same old.. with every release of Parallels and Fusion, they promise amazing gaming performance.

I'm guessing it'll be as crap as usual..

Expecting great gaming performance in a virtual environment is expecting too much.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
A little off topic, but wouldn't it be nice if Apple licensed OSX for virtualization on windows boxes? It would be great for people like me who have to support OSX users but really have no interest in owning a mac ourselves. It would save me the hassle of putting together a hackintosh.

That would involve the same problems as running it native. The only virtualization support that Apple provides for is Server and only on the Mac hardware.

Apple is not going to separate OSX from their hardware as long as they are in the hardware business - its their competitive advantage.. Apple cannot compete on that level with Microsoft. If you need to support Mac users, you can purchase a Mini real cheap and it can probably be justified as a business expense.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
How about real NAT configuration? It would be nice to be able to easily set up port forwarding for programs and servers that need it. I hope they make it faster too.

It doesn't sound like much of an improvement to justify the $40 upgrade price, unless the graphics work near-natively. I don't care about aero or migrating Windows to a VM. 2.0 already "supports" DX9 Shader Model 2, and it doesn't sound like SM 3 is going to be "supported" a whole lot better in Fusion 3.0. OpenGL is good to have, though.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I wonder if they've fixed the problems I had with mounting my Mac drive in the Windows VM (v 2. something)?

It worked fine for a lot of things, but had problems, e.g., with rebuilding Visual Studio 2005 projects stored on the mounted Mac drive.

As a result I used Parallels or Bootcamp w/MacDrive until Snow Leopard and now just bootcamp...

Do you mean Through shared folders?

I have all my VS projects on the Mac drive so Time Machine and Mozy can back them up. VS refused to load the projects from the shared folder, however, this page sorted me out:

http://alextafoya.com/post/2009/08/19/Make-Visual-Studio-work-with-VMWare-Fusion-shares.aspx

HTH
Neil

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I know this probably doesn't help you much, but we use ProPresenter and I'm very happy with it.

We've looked at ProPresenter, but unfortunately there is resistance in moving to yet another presentation software... (We moved from SongShow Plus to EasyWorship two years ago).

A friend from an on-campus ministry says he's been able to get dual monitor support running in Fusion 2, with minimal slowdown. I'm anxious to see what he says.

By any means, glad to have continuing improvements in the virtualization field.

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
I use both, but install Windows on BC and then let Fusion use the BC partition. It's the best of both worlds since sometimes older s/w doesn't like Fusions "virtual" ports but will work fine in BC. 99% of the time I use Fusion. You hardly know it's virtualization s/w and sure beats having to shutdown/reboot to use Win. However, for some tasks, unfortunately, you need BC. Maybe Fusion 3 will change that. We'll see.

But in this way you cannot suspend the virtual machine, you have to turn it off every time, right?
A like having a single-file (easy to copy, move, etc.), fast-sleeping and fast-awaking virtual machine, so I prefer a classic virtual machine over a BC-partition virtual machine....

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hmmm when I switched from windows I never really saw the need to use windows EVER. Heck I didn't even give it a second thought. I don't really wan't to stain my system with windows 7 so I'll be giving VMware a pass thankyouverymuch :D

p.s. I weaned myself of games by the time I was 21 so that isn't much of an issue either :p

I have to agree with this. But VMware can OSes other than Windows. I keep both a virtual Solaris and Linux system on my iMac.

I pretty much bypassed the whole Windows thing. I remember when MS Windows was new. You could not even overlap the windows and it did not multi-task, only task switched (Much like an iPhone) The system I used at the time(SunOS 4) was based on BSD Unix and have a nicer window system on top of it. Kind of the same as Mac OS X. I had zero motivation to go backwards to MS Windows.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
It's a bit of a shame but I guess I will no longer need (well, want to) update my virtualisation software since my company will no longer tolerate my MacBook Pro on their network so in a couple of days time I'll be on a Dell running XP. Whether I will ever need such software again remains to be seen but I can't see myself using this for my private work since the only reason I have for using Windows is to access a number of Windows-only applications needed for work.

I can only hope that Dells have improved since the last time that I touched one but I'm not feeling lucky...

The Final Cut

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Well the last vm ware failed for games. The only reason I would ever see going back to windows for would be games. Crysis, source games, etc. If this cant do that properly and blu ray playback then I do not see the appeal.

MacDSmith2

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2009
OK, so what is the answer to the 64K dollar question... which is the better VM, the new Fusion or the soon to be new Parallels? Has anyone seen BOTH betas together?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.