Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
Alternatively, Sun's free VirtualBox already rocks via Snow Leopard....

http://www.virtualbox.org

Put me on the list of VirtualBox users. VirtualBox is all I need, simple and free :D. I should note that I do not use it for games, not sure how it performs in that area... only doing browser testing for web design.

zenbient

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
VMware Fusion 3 from 2.0X

So this is why they had the 2.0.5 on discount..... :(

yes.
i thought that this was going to be their course during that macupdate.com
/macpromo.com sale.

seriously, they had that sale when Snow Leopard was released so, the license should work for Snow Leopard.

it is always sad when someone or something falls from grace.

zenbient

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2009
Yay, I bought the 2.0 not even a week ago. Oh well, is there a way to return it? lol. At least I get a discount price...:rolleyes:

no, you don't get the discount price.
in 3 weeks you will pay the full price when you pay for 3.0

1 month is them cheating.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Happy Times

Happy times lol i can't install windows 7 on bootcamp because im a wireless peripheral person lol, looking forward to this potential awesome VM3, wondering in Parallels will compete with Parallels 5 :eek:

aine

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
I only need Windows to run Quicken Deluxe on my 5-year-old Dell laptop; that's it, literally. Ideally, I'd have it all on my Mac, but I *think* that would mean (1) buying either VMWare or Parallels for $79 and (2) buying a non-upgrade copy of Windows for $200 or so.

Is there any cheaper, relatively legal, way to get Windows on my Mac other than buying a full-on copy of Windows? The copy on my Dell laptop came with the machine (i.e. OEM) so I am not sure whether I can transfer that license over... anyone know?

0John0

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Yay, I bought the 2.0 not even a week ago. Oh well, is there a way to return it? lol. At least I get a discount price...:rolleyes:

If you bought it after October 1st, then you get 3.0 free. :eek: Here's what they say on their blog:
What if I just bought VMware Fusion 2?

Customers who purchase VMware Fusion 2 from October 1, 2009 through end of November qualify for a free downloadable upgrade to VMware Fusion 3. In order to qualify for this free upgrade, customers will need to fill out an online form and provide related proof of purchase. The free upgrade redemption website will be available beginning October 27th at http://www.vmware.com/fusion. Free upgrades will take up 4 weeks to deliver.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Let me just put it this way (without violating my NDA :D)...Aero in the VM is very sluggish unless you have a good processor and plenty of RAM.
2.8 GHz octo-core Xeon and 14 GB of RAM enough? :p

I can't wait for this new version of Fusion. I'd pay full price for it if there was no upgrade option.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT

If you purchased it before Oct 1, 2009 then I believe they have a 30 satisfaction money back guarantee. you could try and exercise that, then use the returned money to buy 2.0 now and get 3.0 free when it's released.

I wonder if they will offer any special upgrade pricing for academic users (students, etc.)
The full version through academic is only 39.99 so I guess that's still pretty good, but an upgrade academic price would be AWESOME :)

Maristic

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
OpenGL on Linux?

I don't see anything in their announcement about OpenGL performance on Linux (or much about Linux in general). One of the ways VMware Fusion 2.x lags behind Parallels is its support for Linux OpenGL, which means that you don't get some of thing nice visual features like desktop effects.

Anyone with the beta care to comment on Linux support?

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
If you bought it after October 1st, then you get 3.0 free. :eek: Here's what they say on their blog:

No, it's not the case. Unfortunately.

If you purchased it before Oct 1, 2009 then I believe they have a 30 satisfaction money back guarantee. you could try and exercise that, then use the returned money to buy 2.0 now and get 3.0 free when it's released.

I'll try that. :)

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
yes.
i thought that this was going to be their course during that macupdate.com
/macpromo.com sale.

seriously, they had that sale when Snow Leopard was released so, the license should work for Snow Leopard.

it is always sad when someone or something falls from grace.

Wow... I love that self-entitled logic... I bought the old version at a discount months ago when it was clear an upgrade would be coming,so I should get that upgrade now for free! Maybe if I buy an Mac this week because of the price drops I can upgrade it for free next week when new ones come out!

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Actually I'm thinking I will just pay for the upgrade - if it's worth it, that is. After a few reviews. I barely use the 2.06 version anyway. 39.99$ is not that bad.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Some of us can't be so lucky1

Hmmm when I switched from windows I never really saw the need to use windows EVER. Heck I didn't even give it a second thought. I don't really wan't to stain my system with windows 7 so I'll be giving VMware a pass thankyouverymuch :D

p.s. I weaned myself of games by the time I was 21 so that isn't much of an issue either :p

Unfortunately there are some of us that must run a few applications that are Windows only with our Macs. I've never played any games on my computer other than some hangman on my Heath H89 years ago with my young daughter. For that reason I forget about games on computers.

My Macs are the only computers that I have purchased that will run MS-DOS or Windows.

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Expecting great gaming performance in a virtual environment is expecting too much.

Actually, it's more like expecting a VM to run at the speed of native hardware is expecting too much. New games need the performance of new native hardware. The games we run today may very well run fine in VM in 3 years time.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
So, it looks like there's a 50% discount on a new copy of Fusion for students...which begs the question of why a student with a copy of v.2 should pay the $40 upgrade vs just buying a new copy of v.3 and having an extra copy of v.2 to give away.

lixx

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Does it support 3D graphics on my iMac w/ Radeon 4850?
I tried a trial version of VMware Fusion 2.0.x (?) and it didn't work. :-( There seemed to be a problem with drivers..

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Interesting but so far Virtual Box has done it for me.

My experience with Virtual Box has been faily good so far. In this case we are running Linux. What i have found though is that VB doesn't like Linux at all if you try to run realtime extensions. This is to be expected though.

I've yet to install Wndows under VB. The only reason I have do so involves the use of apps that communicate over the RS232 port. Apparently USB support for this is still evolving under VB.

The thing is the more that I use my MBP the less desire I have to even look at other OSes on the MBP. There are a couple of problems with this, one is that it adds a lot of crud to your Hard Disk, the other is that Mac apps are often a better choice for document creation.

One thing that people need to realize with respect to OpenGL support and performance is that it will never be good on current generation hardware. To do it well virtualization hardware needs to be present all the way out to the GPU. I've heard many dismiss Intels new virtualization features as not being of interest to casual users but then we have this thread indicating that casual users aren't satisfied with current virtualization???? What we have here is a demand that outstrips what hardware (Apple) and software can currently deliver. So if you want the latest OpenGL or Windows features to run under virtualization well you will need to buy better hardware and software in the future. Currently every thing has yet to gel.

Dave

NanoBot

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Parallels 4 is rubbish

Having used Parallels since v2, upgraded to v3 and then forced to buy v4 (v3 did not work on the new macbooks) I can say I am sick and tired of their rubbish.

The windows key sticking has driven me insane and they still don't have a fix for it after 6 months. The biggest pain is only allowing 2 USB 1.1 devices. I develop for Embedded Systems so having 2 USB 1.1 devices is very limiting.

How many usb 1.1 devices does Fusion 3 or Virtual box allow?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Actually I'm thinking I will just pay for the upgrade - if it's worth it, that is. After a few reviews. I barely use the 2.06 version anyway. 39.99$ is not that bad.
I don't find the $39.99 upgrade fee bad, seeing as how they've given me two years of free upgrades since I purchased Fusion 1.0 back in 2007! :)

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
I can't imagine there's a faster way to get it then by just downloading when it's available. I'm sure that'd be true for upgrades.

Oh, sorry, I was thinking mainly in terms of price advantage. Will it cost less if you preorder? There's no reason it should, but since I'm also waiting on a preorder of Windows 7 the possibility was naturally circulating my brain.

Since we seem to be discussing the area, I switched to Mac in the days of PowerPC and don't need Windows for anything. In fact, I've skipped XP and Vista and haven't actually used a Windows machine for anything other than a quick email check while at a friend's house since I left the job I had before this one. But us Europeans got an extra nice deal on Windows 7 (compared to the Windows 7 deals available elsewhere, please let's not discuss Apple v Microsoft pricing), I've been curious about .NET for a while and there are a few Windows ports of programs I wrote forever ago that could do with some maintenance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.