Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephenxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Glasgow
Rite as by the title i'm trying Remote Desktop Connection
to connect from my Mac to Pc.
How do i go about doing this?
i have my pc's name kieran-pc\kieran , when i place this in the field on my mac's RDC it says failed.

Any ideas

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hmmm ive never successfully connected to a PC from my Mac, even thought i have tried multiple times.

your best bet would be to install a VNC server on your PC (i use VNC Viewer), then in the Finder go to "Go" (the menu bar), then "Connect to Server". a new window will pop up.

you can then type "vnc://IPADDRESS OF PC" without the quotations and it will go. :)

stephenxiii

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Glasgow
thanks for that guys,
just one more thing do i need to have name to connect to my mac
or is it just the pc name i need.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Your machine name seems a bit strange, I wouldn't expect to see slashes in it. Start a command prompt on the PC and run 'hostname' and it will give you its name.

That's a qualified account name not a machine name. The part before the backslash is the machine or domain where the account is kept and after the backslash is the account name. In unix speak that would be like kieran@kieran-pc.

http://cord.sourceforge.net/ does some things better than the Microsoft client and is an alternative, but the Microsoft RDC is good too.

And for anyone who doesn't already know, remote desktop is not supported on Windows Home versions, only Professional or Ultimate. On Home Premium, you will need VNC or some other third-party software.

In general, once it has been enabled, anyone with administrative rights, also automatically has remote login rights, but you can give remote rights to non-admins as well.

B

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
That's a qualified account name not a machine name. The part before the backslash is the machine or domain where the account is kept and after the backslash is the account name. In unix speak that would be like kieran@kieran-pc.
I just assumed it didn't accept qualified names since there are specific settings in the MS RDP client for username and password. Maybe it does though.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have been using remote login to machine sharing up it's driver for several years now but what I have found is that since I don't have a real server up anywhere on my network I have to remote login using only IP addresses; otherwise the lookup fails every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.