Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think a MacRumors IRC "help desk" & "Social" channel would be success

• Yes to both

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Yes to "help desk" (no to "social")

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Yes to "social" (no to "help desk")

Votes: 17 11.7%
  • No to both

Votes: 27 18.6%

• Total voters

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
This.

That's exactly what macrumors irc became the last time I used it a few years ago. A few random people, lots of in jokes.
i wasnt here last time. would you mind giving me a run down on the advertising/intent of the IRC? how long did it stay popular for? this time i think it would be nice if it was more of a preliminary help desk for random questions. maybe it would be good for walkthroughs like if somebodies hard drive needs cloning - or whatever.

Perfectly fine with adding a poll but not sure what question you want asked.

Note to all users if you start a thread an later want a poll added report the first post and in the post report make a not of the question you want adding and then the options you want.
i didnt know we could do that! thank you xUKH.

if you wouldnt mind, can you add "Do you think a MacRumors IRC "help desk" & "Social" channel would be successful?"
1. Yes to both
2. Yes to "help desk" (no to "social")
3. Yes to "social" (no to "help desk")
4. No to both.

thankyou!

had quite a few people come in and out recently, hi to the people I missed when afk :)
i couldnt around 9 that sort of joined then left.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Why not just add some kind of web 2.0 chat room to the site instead of using IRC? This would solve the archive issues and the newbies.

Something like HipChat or Tinychat.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Done and done :)
schweet thank you!

i voted yet to both :D hehe

Why not just add some kind of web 2.0 chat room to the site instead of using IRC? This would solve the archive issues and the newbies.

Something like HipChat or Tinychat.
thats an interesting concept. i know that its pretty important that archiving is used, but im sure that IRC could be moulded in such a way to also provide that function?

i dont really care what client it uses, as long as i can chat freely to people. :)

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
schweet thank you!

i voted yet to both :D hehe

thats an interesting concept. i know that its pretty important that archiving is used, but im sure that IRC could be moulded in such a way to also provide that function?

i dont really care what client it uses, as long as i can chat freely to people. :)

By using IRC bots, should be able to archive as well.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
IRC has moved to the web now; you don't need anything other than a web browser if you use Mibbit.

impressive! that makes things so much easier! MR couldeven have a dedicated web page for "mibbit"? with embedded chat browser. maybe? very nice suggestions.

btw webers, my VM froze my whole computer so i had to reboot after 42 days of uptime! (noo).

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
impressive! that makes things so much easier! MR couldeven have a dedicated web page for "mibbit"? with embedded chat browser. maybe? very nice suggestions.

btw webers, my VM froze my whole computer so i had to reboot after 42 days of uptime! (noo).

That explains why your name is me. Ahaha.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I started reading all the posts in this thread, then I remembered that I have a geometry test to study for so I shall write this before I go:

Macrumors Revived IRC + Adium = Happy me, Instant mini support, too much time wasted.

It will never replace the forums though, wether you want it to or not.

Lets dewwit.

-Omi

CJS7070

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'd be in support of an [active] MR IRC channel, would give me something to do, hah. I popped in the current one the other day and it was pretty dead -_-

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I started reading all the posts in this thread, then I remembered that I have a geometry test to study for so I shall write this before I go:

Macrumors Revived IRC + Adium = Happy me, Instant mini support, too much time wasted.

It will never replace the forums though, wether you want it to or not.

Lets dewwit.

-Omi

wow yoyo thats a great idea! adium, i didnt think of that. lots of people already have the app! it wont require much more to get them to have IT support/social chats related to macs.

I'd be in support of an [active] MR IRC channel, would give me something to do, hah. I popped in the current one the other day and it was pretty dead -_-
its still pretty quiet at the moment. i am on.

get just 10 users who wanna chat away and it will look lively. at times there have been 5 of us chatting away nicely.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Indeed. Why not a Facebook or Myspace wall :)

I like the idea of a MR MOO space. Or Arn could spend some of his millions on setting up a Second Life area complete with flying toasters.

Nah, let's be hypermodern and set up a WoW area focussed on MR. Slay the Software Update demons, evade the tangled iPod swamps ... ?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Indeed. Why not a Facebook or Myspace wall :)

I like the idea of a MR MOO space. Or Arn could spend some of his millions on setting up a Second Life area complete with flying toasters.

Nah, let's be hypermodern and set up a WoW area focussed on MR. Slay the Software Update demons, evade the tangled iPod swamps ... ?

that wasnt sarcastic at all :rolleyes: :mad: :p

seriously though, what do you think?

votes so far are favouring me :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thats why a sticky in Newbie frequented waters would explain. Heck I don't mind writing up a FAQ if needbe.
With all the references about searching before posting that appear in the Forum Rules, FAQ, New Thread window, etc., they STILL don't search! What makes you think a sticky will get newbies to notice anything?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
just for the record, there has been ALOT of activity lately. we have a number of, quite well educated, regulars. it would be nice to actually help a few people out.

if you need any IT assistance, hit us up!

you can also connect using adium - its very easy.

download the adium beta (from their website), and install the IRC client. use irc.krono.net as the hostname. then go to File->Join Group Chat, and "Chat Room Name" must = "#macrumors" (dont use inverted commas).

:)

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
**STATUS UPDATE**

We have had constant growth, and have already help many members with the more technical prospect. Hopefully we will see you soon!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
well, a whoping 80% of users would like some sort of IRC revival so far - i think thats a pretty positive result for the channel!

this are slowly getting busier and busier! we have a good 10 users that constantly sign on and new ones are coming every day. a lot of us have attached a small IRC comment into our MR signature. if anybody would like to do that, please feel free.

our main aim for the moment is to provide a friendly social area to talk about anything mac related, if you have a question feel free to join and have a nice chat with us :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.