Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think a MacRumors IRC "help desk" & "Social" channel would be success

• Yes to both

Votes: 90 62.1%
  • Yes to "help desk" (no to "social")

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Yes to "social" (no to "help desk")

Votes: 17 11.7%
  • No to both

Votes: 27 18.6%

• Total voters

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
there already is a bot that probably already captures everything - but transcripting the conversations that go on would be a ridiculous idea IMO. as most things would be OT. it would mean somebody would have to trawl through it and find the useful stuff to post or whatever.

Not a ridiculous idea at all. I'm the channel owner of ##slackware at irc.freenode.net and have been for at least 5 years. I use an eggdrop bot to record channel discussions and I post the logs publicly to my website. I've at least 5 years of archives that people continue to search against...some even download the whole archive for their own copy. While the channel does go off-topic sometimes, the logs are still quite easy to search. These forums go off-topic quite a bit, but that doesn't hinder the search feature, does it? No. If you're not willing to search, the feature is useless, for this forum and for anything you do.

I think logging and offering the logs would be a great idea, as I know it works and is valuable.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Not a ridiculous idea at all. I'm the channel owner of ##slackware at irc.freenode.net and have been for at least 5 years. I use an eggdrop bot to record channel discussions and I post the logs publicly to my website. I've at least 5 years of archives that people continue to search against...some even download the whole archive for their own copy. While the channel does go off-topic sometimes, the logs are still quite easy to search. These forums go off-topic quite a bit, but that doesn't hinder the search feature, does it? No. If you're not willing to search, the feature is useless, for this forum and for anything you do.

I think logging and offering the logs would be a great idea, as I know it works and is valuable.

Thanks very much for your input unix! On a second thought it does seem like an ok idea, though I know that it wont happen for us here, but it could work if I were to implement it myself. Can you link me to your site that has the archive? I might have a looksi :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
live feed from apple today! very exciting news!

if you would like to discuss any of the news/updates in a real time manner, please feel free to join us on the MR IRC channel.

irc.krono.net
#macrumors

hope to see you there!

jetoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
Hello there :)

Just a quick question, I have x-chat, just wanna know what you are using as irc client?
I'd like to change to something as similar as mIrc if there is.

Thx :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Hello there :)

Just a quick question, I have x-chat, just wanna know what you are using as irc client?
I'd like to change to something as similar as mIrc if there is.

Thx :)

hi.

for OSX, there is Colloquy, Adium (the beta model), and a few others that i cant think of. they are all very good at IRC.

aerowave

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Chippenham, England, UK
I've recently started using the MR IRC channel, and although it's a bit quiet sometimes, the people in there are friendly & helpful. Especially DoFoT9, who welcomed me!

Colloquy is also available for iOS too, works great on iPad!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I've recently started using the MR IRC channel, and although it's a bit quiet sometimes, the people in there are friendly & helpful. Especially DoFoT9, who welcomed me!
it has been getting very quite of late, so tell all your friends! update your sigs! glad you enjoyed your visit :0

Colloquy is also available for iOS too, works great on iPad!
i use it for my iPad! it is wonderful isnt it! well worth it.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I drop in when I can. I use other IRC chat rooms as well for other sites that I use, so usually I join them all at once :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well, kinda. You guys are certainly some of the most friendliest on IRC :)

thats a great compliment - thanks a lot :) i thought the idea of IRC was to communicate in a social sense on a particular topic, most other IRC channels do not emit that presence :(

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
thats a great compliment - thanks a lot :) i thought the idea of IRC was to communicate in a social sense on a particular topic, most other IRC channels do not emit that presence :(

Some networks specifically forbid chatting channels.

So we are pretty lucky really. Macrumors is a pretty great room despite the occasional whack job that finds their way in :p.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK

Some channels are strictly for help/advice or discussion on one set subject, whereas we discuss everything from broken displays to crisps :D

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Some networks specifically forbid chatting channels.

So we are pretty lucky really. Macrumors is a pretty great room despite the occasional whack job that finds their way in :p.
That is why i think it's a good idea that we have the krono server. It gives us and macrumors more freedom over the standard irc servers.
http://wigglit.ath.cx/slackware_botlogs/

Yeah, it's been months but I wasn't paying attention...sorry about that.
No problems, that is a very readable log. It would be nice to have a search function over the whole thing, dovyou know If that os possible?

Some channels are strictly for help/advice or discussion on one set subject, whereas we discuss everything from broken displays to crisps :D
Haha! Too true! I don't see the use of restricting such topics really, if you are too restricting then people will leave. We are not large enough yet to enforce such rules.

And it's chips ;)

gooner44

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
ok

I know this is a really old thread, but, I came across this the other day, and I could really do with some help from your IRC channel, however, whenever I log onto it via Mibbit, no one is there! which is generally around 8pm UK time. If anyone fancies coming on and giving me some advice (not about when to buy a new MBP! :)) then it would be really appreciated.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I know this is a really old thread, but, I came across this the other day, and I could really do with some help from your IRC channel, however, whenever I log onto it via Mibbit, no one is there! which is generally around 8pm UK time. If anyone fancies coming on and giving me some advice (not about when to buy a new MBP! :)) then it would be really appreciated.

IIRC Mibbit was blocked as it was used by spammers, DoFoT9 should know more about this. Try using this to connect.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

hey there gooner. unfortunately the server owner has banned mibbit. i had a lengthy conversation with him and we both agree that the amount of "legit" people connecting vs the amount of bots/etc was not high enough to warrant us keeping it.

hope this helps :)

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
so there's no irc then? i just tried to login and didnt see anyone. was hoping it would be there:)

edit-now its working:)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
given the percentage of popularity in this poll, i wonder if it might be a good idea to put a bit more pressure on the mods for some ACTUAL advertising..??

thoughts?

to all those macrumorors out there who enjoy IRC, why dont you pop in? we are going along now quite strongly with a fairly constant stream of conversation.

see you there!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
given the percentage of popularity in this poll, i wonder if it might be a good idea to put a bit more pressure on the mods for some ACTUAL advertising..??

thoughts?

to all those macrumorors out there who enjoy IRC, why dont you pop in? we are going along now quite strongly with a fairly constant stream of conversation.

see you there!

Not to mention a strong OP base to keep the channel orderly and friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.