Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Robert Scoble reports that Apple has purchased Siri, a company that has developed a free personal assistant application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Selected as the Most Innovative Web Technology in a contest at this year's SXSW festival, Siri offers automated personal assistant services by integrating a rapidly growing number of third-party services such as OpenTable, FlightStats, and Google Maps with voice-recognition technology from Nuance Communications.

Scoble discovered evidence (PDF) of the deal through a notification given by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission announcing an early termination of the standard waiting period for corporate mergers to allow the transaction to proceed. Mashable and ReadWriteWeb are also confirming that they have heard about the acquisition from their sources.

Article Link: Apple Purchases iPhone 'Personal Assistant' Company Siri

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Apple Purchases iPhone 'Personal Assistant' Company Siri

"Take me drunk I'm home"!!

Oh yeah, been there done that.

Now all I need is an app that says: "Taxi for Dr G immediately"!

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Steve, thanks for reading my thread on February 5th.

:p

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/860404/

Good call. Voice recognition in general is a big part of the future. I think that the personal assistant stuff is just the tip of the iceberg. I am expecting a new maps program from apple to include this, this could be used for security purposes (vioce activation) as well as just about every other mudane task on the iphone. Maybe apple is going to make an in car navigation kit? That could also be cool.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Huh? Yet another "find stuff nearby" and "book me a..." app? Why? There weren't enough already? And now Apple needs to have their own built-in?

Sorry to go against the grain here. But I just don't get it.

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Man, Apple is like Pacman, just gobbling up companies.

It will be interesting to see what they use this technology for.

Bruizer

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008
Because this one is really really good.

Huh? Yet another "find stuff nearby" and "book me a..." app? Why? There weren't enough already? And now Apple needs to have their own built-in?

It is almost scary good and the context aspect is simply spooky.

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002

This is those apps + the star trek voice computer put together.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Does it have a feature to tell you that you might be getting too drunk and subsequently misplace the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.