Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Bonus Points

Thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. How do I get bonus points, all I am reading is -advmethods and setting up a passkey. Would it be worth it on a i7 720qm at 1.66ghz? Would it complete a wu in 4 days?

This passkey sounds like a big deal should I be using it on all me machines?

With the console client for windows, is there a way I can close the window with out it stopping folding, kind of pointless having the window constantly open. Surely it can fold in the background?

Thanks guys :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
haha yay! lucky :D let me know how it goes!

yeah finally. but then 3 weeks later and i move. so i'll have a big outage then.

Thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. How do I get bonus points, all I am reading is -advmethods and setting up a passkey. Would it be worth it on a i7 720qm at 1.66ghz? Would it complete a wu in 4 days?

With the console client for windows, is there a way I can close the window with out it stopping folding, kind of pointless having the window constantly open. Surely it can fold in the background?

hey starting a new thread is a good thing for this forum. we need more activity!

but anyways, to get a bonus you need a passkey. so yes, get a passkey. once you complete 10 units with the passkey, you'll then start to get a bonus if you complete the units in time.

as far as hiding the console client window, i'm not sure. i personally would rather have it open, so i know what it's doing. why not just minimize it?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

On an i7 720 you won't get bigadv units done in time to get bonus points also I have an i7 980x that hasn't gotten any bigadv units even though I have it set up to get them. I suspect some recent changes on the server end are allowing only certain cpu's to get bigadv units and i7's probably aren't getting them. as far as the passkey I'm not sure it makes any difference for someone like you, I don't think there are any other wu's that get a bonus...

You can minimize the window and it will keep folding...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
On an i7 720 you won't get bigadv units done in time to get bonus points also I have an i7 980x that hasn't gotten any bigadv units even though I have it set up to get them. I suspect some recent changes on the server end are allowing only certain cpu's to get bigadv units and i7's probably aren't getting them. as far as the passkey I'm not sure it makes any difference for someone like you, I don't think there are any other wu's that get a bonus...

You can minimize the window and it will keep folding...

a3 units get a bonus.

i'm still getting some bigadv units with my i7s

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
a3 units get a bonus.

i'm still getting some bigadv units with my i7s

Excellent, how do I get a3 units?

I need the window close because my partner does not like the window open when she uses the computer cause she always has a lot of windows open (XP not 7). So at the moment I have a system tray ustilising one core. Its a dual core.

Thanks for the replies.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Excellent, how do I get a3 units?

I need the window close because my partner does not like the window open when she uses the computer cause she always has a lot of windows open (XP not 7). So at the moment I have a system tray ustilising one core. Its a dual core.

Thanks for the replies.

you have to run the smp2 client to get a3 units. and you have to have a passkey and 10 completed units with the passkey to get a bonus (and you have to complete 80% of your units also i think)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
you have to run the smp2 client to get a3 units. and you have to have a passkey and 10 completed units with the passkey to get a bonus (and you have to complete 80% of your units also i think)

Thanks I have it all configured now, I have been doing a3 units all along. Can't wait to complete my 10 units. Hopefully this should boost the ppd from my i7 as it currently is doing 850-900ppd.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well after moving, i finally have my computers setup again. i just got internet access today, but it is looking terribly slow. i just started folding with 4 GPUs for right now. i'll see how this goes before i start with the big units

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
well after moving, i finally have my computers setup again. i just got internet access today, but it is looking terribly slow. i just started folding with 4 GPUs for right now. i'll see how this goes before i start with the big units

Good to have you back folding again. We need the points...

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Welcome back. We need the points... Our medium term outlook not looking so great right now...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Welcome back. We need the points... Our medium term outlook not looking so great right now...

Yeah, we moved to 57th place but there is pleasurdome and bitgamer right behind us :( some new guy, awachs, is making 10 mil a week :eek: his electric bill must be outrageous, must have a pile of gtx480's... and he will pass us in about 3 or 4 months.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Good to have you back folding again. We need the points...

^^ yeh i agree! would be nice to get a new bunch of people on having a crack.

thanks. it's good to be back, but like i said, i'm having serious internet issues here. i'm paying for 12 mb/s, and sometimes i'm getting less than 1! :mad:

Yeah, we moved to 57th place but there is pleasurdome and bitgamer right behind us :( some new guy, awachs, is making 10 mil a week :eek: his electric bill must be outrageous, must have a pile of gtx480's... and he will pass us in about 3 or 4 months.

dang. well once i get the internet situation under control, i'll be able to contribute more.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
it's cable internet. the company is mediacom. it's the only cable company out here. but i guess i might have to go dsl if they don't fix it

I have Mediacom too, I'm supposed to have really fast service, it's ok most of the time but here is what cnet's speed test gave me.
:mad:

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 167

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
im on DSL :D it goes alright i guess.

howcome you are getting such pathetic speeds? too many people in the street?

yeah the top dsl speed here is 6 mb/s. not really great, but better than what i'm getting.

i'm really not sure why the speed is so low.

I have Mediacom too, I'm supposed to have really fast service, it's ok most of the time but here is what cnet's speed test gave me.
:mad:

try http://www.speedtest.net. i just ran it and got 0.81 mb/s. i'm paying for 12.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.