Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hetalia

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Pa
Piracy is theft let's be honest adults here. I hate re-arguing a almost mute point because it must of been said tons of times in this topic. Demos would solve alot of problems though personally I've played alot of games I paid for that were horrible. I really think development companies should invest in making demos even if it's a 5-10 day trial period. It might cut down on piracy. I don't know thought I'm just saying what I think.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah and these serial downloaders you speak of... so they just hoard everything they can get their hands on... they would never go and upload it to sites and torrents where others can copy from!!! Because its fun to waste hours downloading and filling terabytes of hard drives with stuff you will NEVER play/listen/watch.

or i dunno maybe in your world they just store them away these files on floppy disk never to be used again?

That's ok, you just keep your head firmly in the sand. (Or whatever dark place you have it lodged.)

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Here I point the finger at apple for not giving us an easy "trial" option for paid apps. If we had the chance to install a game, test it, if we liked it we keep it and pay that would eliminate the need to pirate apps. I know for me, I have said oh 3.99 for this app that I don't know if it's going to work, so I won't download it.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I proudly pirate apps that asks for a monthly subscription, they're trying to steal me and I'm outsmarting them!

I'll never pirate an app or a game if the developer asks for a one time purchase, even Video Games which normally costs 60$.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I proudly pirate apps that asks for a monthly subscription, they're trying to steal me and I'm outsmarting them!

I'll never pirate an app or a game if the developer asks for a one time purchase, even Video Games which normally costs 60$.

No, you're not outsmarting them. You're being an entitled individual.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
... they're trying to steal me and I'm outsmarting them!
It's great that we all get to set our own price and terms for things we want without consulting with the property owner.

The other day I walked over to my neighbour's house and brought his 4K TV home with me. Left him a fiver. See, we'd talked about me buying it and he offered an installment plan. He was trying to steal from me! Luckily, I outsmarted him.

Lol, just kidding, you're a piece of human trash, dude.

Reactions: seecoolguy

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's great that we all get to set our own price and terms for things we want without consulting with the property owner.

The other day I walked over to my neighbour's house and brought his 4K TV home with me. Left him a fiver. See, we'd talked about me buying it and he offered an installment plan. He was trying to steal from me! Luckily, I outsmarted him.

Lol, just kidding, you're a piece of human trash, dude.

I didn't say what you quoted.

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
This is why I switched over to Linux Mint for my PCs. I'll admit I pirated a lot of software at one time. However I started to feel guilty for it and changed my ways. So I got rid of the pirated windows and other softwares and went with Linux Mint which is free and comes with a whole suite of free software that does as much or more than the software I was pirating. It already had pretty much everything I needed out of the box. I have installed very few programs onto it so far, both on my desktop and laptop.

Point here is, if you just take time and look, you will often come across a free app that does what you are looking to do very well, and perhaps better than the paid app.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I still think it's important to conceptually differentiate piracy from theft. They are different issues, and there are different solutions to them.

Saying that piracy is theft is implying that the ways you fight theft can also be used to fight piracy, which is wrong. I think if people are serious about fighting piracy, and protecting the rights of content owners and creators, they will stop thinking of it as an analogy to theft as that analogy is not helpful to dealing with the problem. Locks, security cameras, safes, etc do not address piracy.

The problem is illegal or unauthorized copying. The alternative is legal or authorized copying (either through purchase or subscription or whatever). The two are opposite options that coexist in the broader market. This is the right framework to begin attacking the problem, I think. How do you draw market participants away from the bad option and incentivize them to select the good option?

Reactions: jowie

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Of course piracy is theft. What makes you guys think it's anything but.

It's a product for sale.

Did you purchase it?

If you are using it and the answer is no, then you stole it.

It's that simple.

Reactions: rafark and smirking

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Of course piracy is theft. What makes you guys think it's anything but.

It's a product for sale.

Did you purchase it?

If you are using it and the answer is no, then you stole it.

It's that simple.

No, it’s not theft it’s copyright infringement. Theft would be someone stealing your car. You are then deprived of a car. If someone copies something the original owner still has their copy. If the copier wasn’t ever going to pay for the item then arguably the creator of the thing has lost nothing either. I’m not saying it’s right but it isn’t theft.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How much bandwidth does a relatively small iOS game use anyway? It can't be that much, can it?

I know, multiply by a few thousand and it all adds up, but surely the better option is to optimise the game so the load on the servers is reduced?
If it was possible to catch all the pirates and string them up by their balls, then the developers could spend their time improving the gameplay. Maybe that's a nice idea for a game. Catch pirates and hurt them where it hurts. I wonder whether that would get pirated.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Come on, copyright infringement is a form of theft. It seems like you think it's wrong or mostly wrong anyway, so what's the point in splitting hairs?

I just find it tiresome when people apply an overly simplistic view to something. It isn’t theft, people need to label it appropriately.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013

do you also label your rent as theft?
[doublepost=1526617830][/doublepost]
Cry me a river, you are not the only company that needs to deal with piracy. Regardless of what the law said, piracy will still exist. Here is a bridge, now get over it.
I wonder how you would react if your employer didn't pay you this month
here's a bridge, now get over it?
[doublepost=1526618127][/doublepost]
I have read it. It's still not theft since nothing has been taken, it's infringement by definition, and what a bunch of folk say on a forum doesn't change that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#.22Theft.22
untrue
the producer is deprived of his cashflow
money was stolen

Reactions: fuchsdh and rafark

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
do you also label your rent as theft?
[doublepost=1526617830][/doublepost]
I wonder how you would react if your employer didn't pay you this month
here's a bridge, now get over it?
[doublepost=1526618127][/doublepost]
untrue
the producer is deprived of his cashflow
money was stolen

Not if I was never going to buy the app in the first place.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
Apple doesn't share user information to app developers. This is a fundamental system of protecting your privacy.
The app could send encrypted Apple ID information that only Apple can decrypt... Send a confirmation request to Apple’s servers and Apple could return a response saying “yes this person is legitimate and paid for the game”. It is possible, just guess Apple don’t do it for some reason.

Gravydog316

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2016
Canada
lol i was gonna thinking tonight of asking my brother to download old Nintendo games onto our old iMac & turn it into just a video game computer...
now you guys are making me feel bad lol

Reactions: grandM

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
I have read it. It's still not theft since nothing has been taken, it's infringement by definition, and what a bunch of folk say on a forum doesn't change that.
You're arguing semantics. The point is that pirating games is illegal and immoral.

cuhulin

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Meridian, ID
This analogy doesn't work, considering software doesn't have a CoGS associated with it.

But for the sake of the analogy, I'll say this: what the pirate guy said is no different than someone buying a pair of headphones, trying it out for 29 days, then on the 30th day returning it for a full refund or keeping it. The only difference, assuming he's true to his word, is that he doesn't have to provide a "downpayment" so to speak.

So really, in his case, it's only wrong if you think people should provide money upfront. In the same breath, do you think it's outrageous if the local frozen yogurt shop won't let you sample their flavors without money down? Or if a car dealership wouldn't let you test drive before buying?

But the online game does have cost of goods sold - the server and bandwidth costs for the pirate users - so the analogy does apply. On the other hand, your comparison to trying out headphones has two separate problems: (1) there are actual costs to the developer during the "test" period - more like "testing tires", which can't be returned due to wear not being recoverable, and (2) if you attempt too many returns, most retailers will stop you from doing so in the future.

I agree that ip piracy is not identical to theft in some cases, but in this case, it most clearly is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.