Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
I'm smartphone-less right now. Really the only reason I've opened my eyes to Android is because I absolutely need transit directions. I do think it is the superior OS, but there are things about iOS and Apple that I do like too.

So, if transit directions are a must on your smartphone, how's that going for you with Apple Maps? Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger on an iPhone or go Android?

I've done some searching and it seems like developers are making apps to integrate with Apple Maps.

Thoughts? Any must-have transit apps out there? Thanks.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I'm smartphone-less right now. Really the only reason I've opened my eyes to Android is because I absolutely need transit directions. I do think it is the superior OS, but there are things about iOS and Apple that I do like too.

So, if transit directions are a must on your smartphone, how's that going for you with Apple Maps? Should I just go ahead and pull the trigger on an iPhone or go Android?

I've done some searching and it seems like developers are making apps to integrate with Apple Maps.

Thoughts? Any must-have transit apps out there? Thanks.

Hopstep is awesome. Walking, transit, taxi...everything. Works in every major city I have hit in the US and extremely accurate.

Brazuca

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2003
Third party apps have improved a lot since apple made its move. It's been working great for me, much better than google ever did.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Sweet. I guess I just dismissed third-party apps because there weren't any at the time of launch, but it seems a pretty good solution. Not as easy as Google Maps, but nothing that should prevent someone from owning an iPhone because of it.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Sweet. I guess I just dismissed third-party apps because there weren't any at the time of launch, but it seems a pretty good solution. Not as easy as Google Maps, but nothing that should prevent someone from owning an iPhone because of it.

I've downloaded the Google maps web client as an icon for my iOS dock, not sure if I need it, but until Google comes along with something better in an app it's there, works the same and gives you reasonably accurate directions if your not local to the area.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
For germany Google Maps Transit is useless as they don't have buses and trams.

The official app of the Deutsche Bundesbahn on the other hand is perfect. I am sure there are similar apps for most cities/countries around the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.