Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:44 PM   #251
Osullivan1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflomenb View Post
That's not new. You could do that since iOS 4.
You had to tap before, swiping and pinching did nothing. It did on mine anyway.
Osullivan1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:12 PM   #252
chekz0414
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
I only sent my iPod Touch 5g through one battery cycle on 6.1 so far, but the battery got 11 hours compared to my average of 9.5...so that might be a slight improvement.

iPad battery I have seen no difference...haven't noticed any other differences really from my daily use of iOS.

How do you get 9 hours, or even 11, do you have Wi-Fi off or Notifications off? Or even the Bluetooth or Location off? My iPod touch has a lower average of about 7-8 hours (without it cutting off completely) and that was on beta 4 and 3 of iOS 6.1 as of the final I get a good usage of about 7hours and 40mins before I get the 20% warning.
chekz0414 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:31 PM   #253
snappyfool
macrumors 6502a

Edit: wrong thread

Last edited by snappyfool; Feb 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #254
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBook View Post
Lock screen play controls finally match the new Music app, including the awesome volume knob that changes as you tilt the phone.
thats been there since iOS 6.0!
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:01 PM   #255
DayOfChaos
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
Um. No.
DayOfChaos is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:05 PM   #256
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I think it was there in iOS 5...

/s
aDRock1154 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:04 AM   #257
C DM
macrumors G3

Interesting...noticed something potentially new in a bugs thread, of all places:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lg251 View Post
Not sure if it's a bug, but I don't think this has ever happened to me before iOS 6.1

When I receive a message (iMsg or sms) notification as BANNER, I can pull down on it and the NC comes with it. The more I pull down, the more the message notification banner disappears... Was pulling down the notification done by purpose? (I'm not talking about pulling down NC of course..!)
It actually almost sounds like a new feature (improvement) rather than a bug, assuming this behavior wasn't there before iOS 6.1. I don't quite recall if it worked like this before as I would usually either tap on the banner notification to go to its details, or swipe it (left to right) to dismiss it.
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:33 PM   #258
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayOfChaos View Post
Um. No.
yes i remember when i tested the 6.0 betas and i noticed that.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 01:45 PM   #259
snappyfool
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Interesting...noticed something potentially new in a bugs thread, of all places:It actually almost sounds like a new feature (improvement) rather than a bug, assuming this behavior wasn't there before iOS 6.1. I don't quite recall if it worked like this before as I would usually either tap on the banner notification to go to its details, or swipe it (left to right) to dismiss it.
it worked like this on at least 6.0, most likely 5.0. noticed it well before 6.1
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:01 PM   #260
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
yes i remember when i tested the 6.0 betas and i noticed that.
The new look to the music and volume controls on the lock screen was not there prior to iOS 6.1. It's one of the bigger/more noticeable new features that was introduced in iOS 6.1, as pointed out pretty much everywhere.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:03 PM   #261
maricc
macrumors member

Quote:
Interesting...noticed something potentially new in a bugs thread, of all places:It actually almost sounds like a new feature (improvement) rather than a bug, assuming this behavior wasn't there before iOS 6.1. I don't quite recall if it worked like this before as I would usually either tap on the banner notification to go to its details, or swipe it (left to right) to dismiss it.
That's always happened.
maricc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:19 PM   #262
Derek87
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekz0414 View Post
How do you get 9 hours, or even 11, do you have Wi-Fi off or Notifications off? Or even the Bluetooth or Location off? My iPod touch has a lower average of about 7-8 hours (without it cutting off completely) and that was on beta 4 and 3 of iOS 6.1 as of the final I get a good usage of about 7hours and 40mins before I get the 20% warning.
i'm guessing (and only guessing) that some of the high numbers cited by people include music player usage which counts as usage, but with the screen off is spec'd to go for 40 hours.
Derek87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:38 PM   #263
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The new look to the music and volume controls on the lock screen was not there prior to iOS 6.1. It's one of the bigger/more noticeable new features that was introduced in iOS 6.1, as pointed out pretty much everywhere.
Oh you were referring to the lockscreen. i though in the music app. because in the music app it did that since ios 6.0
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:25 PM   #264
C DM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
i'm guessing (and only guessing) that some of the high numbers cited by people include music player usage which counts as usage, but with the screen off is spec'd to go for 40 hours.
Which is one of at least a few reasons why these kind of usage (and even standby) comparisons are far from being even close to meaningful--in a generic/average type of sense, they might be useful, but not that much more beyond that.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:13 AM   #265
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere else but when I plug my phone into my car receiver via USB, the iPod controls are now shown instead of the blank "device connected" screen or whatever it said. I have a JVC KD-X50BT aftermarket receiver. Now I can use both the receiver controls and iPod controls to switch through albums/artists/etc. I'm glad this was changed.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:02 PM   #266
gslrider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
I see no compelling reason to upgrade. If previous updates are any indication, it'll probably break something. Think I'll wait a few weeks and see what happens with people who upgraded
Since iOS 4.x issues, I've always done the same thing. Wait. And hear what the verdict is for new updates. I don't update right away anymore. Most times, unless there are major improvements, critical bug/security fixes, or my collection of apps wanting to update (but requires latest iOS) goes into double digits, I'll wait 2 or 3 versions before updating. I do find downloading the latest update, and updating at a later time, causes less issues than downloading and updating at same time. No lags, no long hang ups, no crashes. And your not in queue with the other million or so users updating at the same time.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:08 PM   #267
cynics
macrumors 603

I never trust battery usage time on my iPhone.

It didn't indicate that I plugged it. Or I have the best battery life of any phone ever. I don't use my iPhone for music either.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:34 PM   #268
gslrider
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I never trust battery usage time on my iPhone.
I don't even look at that anymore. I go by the percentage at the top. It gives me a better indication on how fast my battery drains with certain usage. You can predict, based on your own routines, how long your battery will last. And can adjust accordingly. For me, if I can plug it into a computer or wall socket when I'm not using it, I'll do that. Keep it always charged as much as possible. But even without plugging it in all day, I know from my own usage, by the time I get home and plug it in to charge (around 8pm), I usually get down to about 55% battery life. Which for me, would be about another 3 hours of moderate to heavy use, before really needing to recharge.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:08 AM   #269
Tulani
macrumors 6502

This update killed the battery....
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6