Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountlovE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
A friend of mine bought a 240 gig SSD from OWC. After 2 Months the drive died. I am also hearing that most SSD drives will only run for 6 months before they die. Has anyone experienced this as well?

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
A friend of mine bought a 240 gig SSD from OWC. After 2 Months the drive died. I am also hearing that most SSD drives will only run for 6 months before they die. Has anyone experienced this as well?

there is a two year warranty on it.

SSDs should last years so I'm not sure why it died so fast

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009

I'm pretty sure the OWC 120 I just bought has a 3-year warranty. I think the rule-of-thumb is: any electronics can die at any time.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA

The OWC warranties are either 3 or 5 years-not 2 years. I do not know where you heard about 6 months and die. Never heard that before your post. If that where the case all the SSD manufacturers (and that is most) with 3 year warranties will be replacing them 6 times during the first units warranty period.

Fact is things break. I have had plenty of platter drives go in my lifetime so far-maybe 12 to15 up until now-that's one a year on average.

CountlovE

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Well I guess time will tell. My friend thought the same thing until it happened to him.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
look at how many OCZ fail ?

yeah bummer for sure the one thing would love to hear how OWC handles the return so if you can keep us posted how they handle the return would be thankful ;)

they dont call it the comfy cozy snuggles edge :) bleeding fits ;)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I've seen several OCZ Vertex 2's dying quite soon and some being DOA so it could be an issue with SF-1200 controller. However, both, OCZ and OWC have great customer service so just give them a call and your issue will be solved

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
I've seen several OCZ Vertex 2's dying quite soon and some being DOA so it could be an issue with SF-1200 controller. However, both, OCZ and OWC have great customer service so just give them a call and your issue will be solved

Good point about the controllers. Many months back on the high priced OWC's they had a SF-1500 controller issue and dropped back to the 1200's. I confirmed that about 7-10 days ago with OWC. They are still using the 1200's until the 1500 issue is worked out-what ever that means?

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
look at how many OCZ fail ?

yeah bummer for sure the one thing would love to hear how OWC handles the return so if you can keep us posted how they handle the return would be thankful ;)

they dont call it the comfy cozy snuggles edge :) bleeding fits ;)

I was daisy chaining some OWC mercury elite pro alu enclosures and one of the FW800 ports on one was dead. Called customer service and even on that small item they 2day aired one to me on a cross-over shipment.

No questions asked- just replaced it and the replacement works fine.:D

iSavant

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2007
Colorado
OWC Recommended

OWC gets all my memory business and most of my drive business based on the fantastic customer service I have received on the few items that had problems.
:)

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
I have used them a ton and only had one issue with memory when the mac 1,1 came out had to return a stick that the glue holding the heatsink on melted :)

will be curious how the SSD come out in the long run ? like in two years when and if mine die :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I have an SSD from 3 years ago; still working great... I've also owned SSDs that die in a day after using.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I've had SSDs and HDDs fail even when relatively new. There is no perfect device. Without a regular backup plan, you are taking a risk with any storage device.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
I had a Vertex that died on me TWICE. Had to RMA twice. Then I sold it and went Intel. Both my Intel SSDs are still going strong after over 1.5 years.

andreiru

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2008
Kurgan, RF
It looks like my OWC SSD just went belly up. It doesn't mount at all and isn't visible anywhere. Under eight months young. We should have a survey of people posting their brand and time of death in a chart somewhere. That would be useful reading before buying one.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
After reading the posts in this thread, I started to worry about the stock SSD in my 2010 Air. How are the Apple stock SSDs compared to those from OWC, OCZ, etc?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
After reading the posts in this thread, I started to worry about the stock SSD in my 2010 Air. How are the Apple stock SSDs compared to those from OWC, OCZ, etc?

Apple uses Toshiba and Samsung in MacBook Airs and apparently those two brands seem to be the most reliable at the moment. Nothing to worry about.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mine is still chugging and while not a year old. I expect it to last, there was a reason why I opted for OWC. Great reputation and solid products.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I buy my Mac's stripped down, bone stock with exception to processor version and then max them out with drives and ram from OWC. I have had ram go bad, sent my SSD in for a firmware upgrade. In return I get brand new sets of ram and they even gave me a brand new SSD instead of the old one with firmware, they are truly above and beyond in product support and customer service, I don't bother with anyone else...

That said, I do regular backups of my boot drives via Time Machine and off site storage, my intel 160GB has been faultless in my MacBook Pro as well...

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
At the risk of repeating a common piece of forum wisdom, I'd point out that web forum posters tend to be the most tech-savvy, unsatisfied, unlucky subgroup of users...because the 90% of users who are fine report nothing.

What you may see here as a higher incidence of failure may be nothing more than selection bias.

After all, Intel recently had an issue with their new batch of SSDs. When it comes to storage, I'd just treat SSDs like HDDs - expect failures, back up, view the warranty as nothing more than a free replacement in case of early failure.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I'm pretty sure the OWC 120 I just bought has a 3-year warranty. I think the rule-of-thumb is: any electronics can die at any time.

This.

It doesn't matter the brand, how long you've had it, etc. Any electronic can go at any time. Its completely common believe it or not.

At work the other day we got 20 new laptop hard drives in, 4 got sent back because they were DOA. Its normal with electronics.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have one of the original OWC SF1200 100GB SSD's that I bought when they first came out ( @ $4.00/GB), it's still running fine. There was an interesting article on Tom's Hardware on SSD reliability.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923.html

That concentrates on NAND wear out, it doesn't take e.g. controller failures into account. We'll be launching an SSD reliability survey over at AnandTech soon though, so we may finally get some real data on the reliability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.