Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
tridn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Should I buy the Macbook Pro 13" now or wait?

I know nobody knows when Apple will release its new line of products, but would someone who's knowledgable on the subject tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"?

Would really appreciate it if someone can answer within the next week or 10 days or so.
tridn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Btrthnezr3
macrumors 6502a
 
Btrthnezr3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
The mantra goes...if you need it now, buy it now...if you can wait, wait.

New MBP's are expected by most to come out in Q1 of 2011 and perhaps with some good upgrades.
The current MBP's are still suitable to do most work and are excellent machines.

Me, myself--I have a working computer, so I am waiting for the upgrade.
There are tons of other threads on this.

Read this one...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1052118

and this one http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1061771
__________________
iPhone 5, iMac, MBA
Btrthnezr3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:45 AM   #3
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
like the millions of identical threads asking the same identical question.

If you need one now, buy one now. If you can wait, then wait.

btw, if you searched, then you'd probably see that you're question was already answered
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Gen
macrumors 6502a
 
Gen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
My brother had to buy a new laptop last week. His work and life depended on it, so he got the 15" MBP.
He knows new ones are coming out in a few months.
Gen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:49 AM   #5
dime21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
What happens when you run out of toilet paper? Do you buy more straight away? Or maybe hold off for a few weeks/months until it goes on sale?

A computer is no different. If you need it now, buy it now.
dime21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
What happens when you run out of toilet paper? Do you buy more straight away? Or maybe hold off for a few weeks/months until it goes on sale?
Extremely poor analogy! They're not releasing new versions and upgrades for toilet paper on a regular basis. Toilet paper doesn't cost over $1000. Toilet paper is a consumable item, not an expensive electronic device. You don't buy toilet paper to keep for 3 or more years. Etc., etc., etc....

It's perfectly reasonable to put more thought into a computer purchase than into a toilet paper purchase.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:06 AM   #7
arogge
macrumors 65816
 
arogge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tatooine
There is now a chance that Apple will be releasing new laptops very soon, like next week, and the 13-inch model is most in need of an update. Don't ask why, but sudden updates always seems to happen around a time like this.
arogge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:09 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arogge View Post
There is now a chance that Apple will be releasing new laptops very soon, like next week, and the 13-inch model is most in need of an update. Don't ask why, but sudden updates always seems to happen around a time like this.
Not true at all. There will be no update until next year.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Stvwndr219
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Expect updates in Q1 of next year at the earliest. Apple has never released updates before the christmas season/after black friday and that's not likely to change...
Stvwndr219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:21 AM   #10
arogge
macrumors 65816
 
arogge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tatooine
There are people who go to places like Costco to buy huge amounts of toiletries for later usage.

There's always a new computer technology coming out soon, but if you need it now, you need it now. If you don't need it for something now, you can afford to wait for next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
There will be no update until next year.
Next year is growing bigger by the week. My crystal ball says that the chance of an update is likely to be sooner now.

Last edited by angelwatt; Dec 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: post merge
arogge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:22 AM   #11
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
New models are expected no sooner than Feb and no later than April - best guess. So if you need or really want one now go for it but try to find a deal - Apple has the highest prices. If you have a MicroCenter store near you they are selling the 13" MBP for only $999 pickup only.

I put my money where my mouth is and picked up a 15" MBP two weeks ago from Amazon and no regrets. (I also bought a 13' from MicroCenter 5 months ago for $999 and sold it for about what I paid last weekend on ebay) So the key is either wait for several months or find a deal and get one now
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM (2010), 750GB WD Scorpio Black + NEC 26" LCD2690W2-BK-SV Monitor
iPhone 5 iPad2 Wi-Fi
Vantage Point is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:25 AM   #12
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by arogge View Post
Next year is growing bigger by the week. My crystal ball says that the chance of an update is likely to be sooner now.
Your crystal ball is broken. There is zero chance of an update before 2011.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:12 PM   #13
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by arogge View Post
Next year is growing bigger by the week. My crystal ball says that the chance of an update is likely to be sooner now.
If apple were to update the MBP line, what would they updating. Sandy Bridge isn't out. A minor speed bump? Why issue a hardware refresh late in the Christmas holiday season. They're not about to do it right after Christmas because many people are done with shopping.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Your crystal ball is broken. There is zero chance of an update before 2011.
Agreed.

Sandy Bridge is coming out in late January or February. Apple has also typically waited a few months before jumping on a new chipset. My point is, that its more likely that apple will update its line in Q2 of 2011.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 03:05 PM   #14
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridn View Post
I know nobody knows when Apple will release its new line of products, but would someone who's knowledgable on the subject tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"?
No offense, but lets just look at the red.
"Can somebody tell me if I should get a Macbook Pro 13"?

That is too vague; it can mean anything.
Add some more information about when you need the computer by, what your current setup is, and what you do on your computer so we can better answer "... tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"?
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:21 PM   #15
puttputt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridn View Post
...tell me if I should get the Macbook Pro 13"?.
Heck no. Get the 15"

(or the 15' if you can fine one).
puttputt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Advice: Buy 15" MBPr Late 2013 Refurb or wait for next 13" Macbook Pro? dstroge Buying Tips and Advice 10 May 28, 2014 07:13 PM
Macbook Pro - buy or wait? user78595 MacBook Pro 4 Sep 27, 2013 10:49 AM
Buy a Macbook pro now or wait for new one? Curialover MacBook Pro 29 Aug 19, 2013 06:20 PM
Buy or wait for new MacBook Pro? Beatbeckham MacBook Pro 2 Jul 23, 2013 05:22 AM
13" Retina Pro...Buy now or wait? Jamie0003 MacBook Pro 75 Nov 3, 2012 08:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC