Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmaoxlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
California
I have a MacBook Pro 15". Is it worth it for me to buy Applecare? I've had a few problems with it, and I'm still under warranty, so it was taken care of. If I buy it, should I buy it now? The cheapest I found was 245. Would the price for it drop once the new MBP series comes out? Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a MacBook Pro 15". Is it worth it for me to buy Applecare? I've had a few problems with it, and I'm still under warranty, so it was taken care of. If I buy it, should I buy it now? The cheapest I found was 245. Would the price for it drop once the new MBP series comes out? Thanks

AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display
AppleCare Protection Plan

As to whether it's worth it or not, that's a matter of opinion. You'll find lots of opinions on both sides. If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:

Is AppleCare Worth It?
Is AppleCare Plan worth it?
applecare worth it?
Is AppleCare worth it?
Is AppleCare Worth It?
Is AppleCare worth it??
Applecare? is it worth it?
Is Applecare worth getting???
Is Applecare worth it for MBP?
Is AppleCare worth it?
Applecare - if ever you thought it wasn't worth it
Is AppleCare or extra warranty really worth buying?
Applecare for MBP is $349. Is it really worth it?

NumeroTen

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2010
it totally depends on how much you use the computer and under what conditions. If u are like me a person who uses it all the time, and bring it everywhere consider buying it, still even i havn't bought it. However, i wouldn't buy it if u kniw u can properly take care of it.

N-Y

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2009
very much worth it!!!, i had issues with mine, and apple today is sending me a new one

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
I wouldn't buy it. If your Macbook pro goes over 1 year without any problems, it will stay problem free. That is why Apple is such a great product.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
NOT TRUE....my display went kaput @ 13 months....if it where not for apple care I would be out 390 bucks. Instead I am out 250. Plus my Airport express died today..that is covered under my Apple Care for the MBP so theres another 79 bucks I saved.....still think it's not worth it...think again

Nov 6, 2010
Yes, It's worth it.

Yes, AppleCare is worth it. This is because if you even have the slightest problem, they have to help you. So say you have had the computer for 2-4 years later and you suddenly can't get something to work, and you have tried everything. You can't call Apple because you have to get AppleCare within the year of purchase, and then there is no hope... It's also the piece of mind that comes with it.

Thank yo for choosing :apple: Products, they are great, and I love them:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Do you live in the European Union?

Because if you live in the EU, all electrical equipment sold has to perform satisfactorily for 5 years. Rendering AppleCare pretty obsolete.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I will not be purchasing Applecare with my 2011 MBP. At $350, that's an increase of over 10% of the purchase price. It doesn't cover the battery (which will be defunct before the coverage is), nor does it cover accidental damage. It won't cover the aftermarket SSD & Ram upgrade I'll be doing at purchase time, and I couldn't care less about phone support, as I've never needed it before and don't plan on starting now. I can't stand talking to first level tech support anyway.

I'll be buying my MBP on my Amex, thus getting an additional year worth of warranty. Amex will simply cover any charges (up to the purchase price) should I need to take it back to Apple within the second year of ownership. I'll also be getting an accidental damage and theft rider on my homeowners. The $300 I save can be used for a battery when it dies, or perhaps it'll be the start of my savings account to cover a new laptop in a couple years, with plans of selling the MBP just as it exits it's warranty period.

edit: In my line of work, I like having up-to-date computers. The laptop I'm replacing now has been my longest running computer at just over three years old. Four years of coverage is overkill, I'd rather be replacing the machine every two years, and selling the old one to help fund the new one.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
My past experience says it's worth it. Like WCT mentioned, it has its limitations, but even then I'd buy it.

As long as you don't damage the laptop yourself, and the parts break down naturally, it'll pay off. Again, based on past experiences, something will break. I have owned 5 MBPs over 5 years and they all have had a part die that would cost $1000 to replace.

AppleCare took care of me, and two of those 5 were replacement laptops that were better than the one I purchased.

And, no, the price of AppleCare wont go down when the new MBPs are released.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Get it. The price will always be he same though. But you can shop around for it. Don't pay Apple's regular price for it.

Too bad the eBay AppleCare racket had fizzled out. That was a way to get it on the cheap, though it's always up for debate whether or not it was the best route to go.

Look at Amazon, you'll save a few bucks there.

walterwhite

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2011
South Central PA
As an 8+ year tech vet of the apple retail stores... It always seemed worth it. I have always bought it for my computers and it always seemed to pay for itself every time... battery, adapters, hard drives, etc... I'm sure there are many that never used it and that is obviously where Apple makes the money.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I have owned 5 MBPs over 5 years and they all have had a part die that would cost $1000 to replace.

If that were my experience, I wouldn't be praising the overpriced extended warranty, I'd be trashing the company selling me overpriced laptops that have frequent failures.

Brdl04

Suspended
Jan 22, 2011
the D
The nature of insurance is a gamble. Applecare is a gamble. Who knows if it will be worth it or not. I've had macbooks with applecare that have not ever gone into service. And Ive had MBP which Ive had to take in for things here or there and didnt have applecare.

I think waiting the full year of limited warranty is a good determiner of wether you will need to buy applecare or not.

Also Squaretrade.com is a great place for aftermarket warranty's. They always pay up.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
in my experience you can get personal artifact insurance for a fraction of the cost, but that also covers accidental damage.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I don't buy it on all my Apple devices (I've never purchased it for an iPhone or an iPod, for example, and I've purchased desktop computers without it*), but I would never purchase an Apple laptop without it. Not because they are low quality by any means; simply because when something does break on a device I use so frequently it pays for itself. I would treat a product like the iMac the same way.

Also, it is rather nice to be able to call Apple for free when I wind up troubleshooting an extremely complicated problem.

*One key reason why I don't always buy it for an Apple desktop computer is because I am comfortable completing 90% of the possible repairs inside one myself.

StopSign24

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
I would say it's worth it. I bought it for my 13" MacBook Pro about a week before the first year expired, and so far it's paid for itself by replacing my battery, bottom panel, and AC Adapter. The AppleCare kicked in October of last year, and all of my problems started after the first year expired.

foulmouthedleon

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Annapolis, MD
The only time I’ve really ever “used” AppleCare is when I bought a used MBP off ebay. The fan was making all sorts of noise and the Apple store replaced it free of charge. My Macs since then have all been brand new and I take care of my stuff, so I don’t think I’d buy it. But if you’re clumsy or take your computer with you everywhere you go (thus increasing the odds of something happening to it) it’s most likely money well spent.

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
I got best buy's accidentally warranty instead of apple care. I think best buy's accidentally warranty is better than apple care,and only thing not covered is water damage. But, depends if you got it from Apple store or Best buy.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I got best buy's accidentally warranty instead of apple care. I think best buy's accidentally warranty is better than apple care,and only thing not covered is water damage. But, depends if you got it from Apple store or Best buy.

It's just overpriced and you can expect a fight if and when you ever need to use it.

more fps

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Ottawa
It's just overpriced and you can expect a fight if and when you ever need to use it.

yeah, it's expensive but it supposed to cover everything but not water damage. But,Apple care doesn't cover cracked screen due to dropping. That's the only reason I didn't get apple care.

wct097

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I'm waiting on a call back from my State Farm agent now, regarding the price of a personal articles policy to cover a laptop w/upgrades replacement value at ~$2800.

I figure that two years of solid warranty, along with a rider for theft and accidental damages is probably the best bet. Then I'll sell and re-up with a new laptop on a two year interval.

cloakedpegasus

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
yeah, it's expensive but it supposed to cover everything but not water damage. But,Apple care doesn't cover cracked screen due to dropping. That's the only reason I didn't get apple care.

The last thing I would ever do is purchase a warranty from best buy. I'm sorry but the competency level at best buy is one of the lowest i've seen,heard of. Just google it and you'll find all sorts of complaints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.