Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
What are your opinions about Applecare??? What does it cover? I've always had insurance on all of my phones due to the type of work I do. I'm new to the iphone and ATT and apparently they don't offer insurance for the iphone. I pre-ordered the phone through ATT so when and how would I add Applecare??

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
What are your opinions about Applecare??? What does it cover? I've always had insurance on all of my phones due to the type of work I do. I'm new to the iphone and ATT and apparently they don't offer insurance for the iphone. I pre-ordered the phone through ATT so when and how would I add Applecare??
Apple care only extends the warranty from 1 year to 2 years... I dont bother cause i buy my phones with my Amex which covers accidental loss, damage, theft and it extends the mfgr warranty for an additional year. So, buy on amex = free and better than apple care.

jlovley

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
Apple care only extends the warranty from 1 year to 2 years... I dont bother cause i buy my phones with my Amex which covers accidental loss, damage, theft and it extends the mfgr warranty for an additional year. So, buy on amex = free and better than apple care.

so how does that work? i'm interested lol.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
AmEx Extended Warranty (formerly Buyer's Assurance Plan) will mirror the manufacturer's original warranty for up to 1 year at the end of the original warranty (or extended warranty of 5 years or less). If your phone breaks in the 2nd year, you file a claim with AmEx and they'll either reimburse you the cost of the repair or the sales price (in which case you go ahead and purchase a new phone with your card).

If you do get Applecare with it, you get 3 years of protection if you charge both the iPhone and Applecare to the same card, but most people here don't keep a cell for that long.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You can get Applecare at time of purchase (its an option available on the att website and should be on apples website also).

Or you can go to an Applestore / online and pick up the boxed product. It should be like any other apple product, where you'll recieve a peice of paper in a box with a code on it. You take the code, go online and enter it onto the apple service support website along with your serial number, then your service is extended for another year. I would get it if you rely on your phone in anyway (like its your only line or you need to be available for work etc). I like the iphones overall reliability, but problems do arise. I had my first gen phone replaced the day after I brought it in because the vibration no longer functioned (and got a refurbished but brand new looking phone), and I also got a replacement cable on the spot because I was having issues. Applecare will be quicker and you won't have to worry about out of pocket costs to be reimbursed later.

Cost is 69 bucks.

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007

I have Amex as well, and I have applecare. Amex is a PITA to get your $$. For $69 you get applecare which means: Genius bar people are much nicer to you. My wife's phone was replaced no questions asked same day. And....now that its a year since I got the 3G, the applecare is transferable, so the resale value on my 3G is higher than a regular 3G. I'd recommend it for peace of mind. Apple really does come through if you get it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I have Amex as well, and I have applecare. Amex is a PITA to get your $$. For $69 you get applecare which means: Genius bar people are much nicer to you. My wife's phone was replaced no questions asked same day. And....now that its a year since I got the 3G, the applecare is transferable, so the resale value on my 3G is higher than a regular 3G. I'd recommend it for peace of mind. Apple really does come through if you get it.

It doesn't cover accidental damage / loss / theft though - it just extends the warranty. My iPhone was replaced at the Genius bar because of light leaks and cracking on the back with no questions asked under the standard warranty.

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
It doesn't cover accidental damage / loss / theft though - it just extends the warranty. My iPhone was replaced at the Genius bar because of light leaks and cracking on the back with no questions asked under the standard warranty.

Then what will cover accidental damage, etc...

I'm still surprised that ATT doesn't offer insurance like every other phone provider does.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
AppleCare is partly a warranty, not insurance. You also have a phone number you can call at any time about any questions you might have - something doesn't need to break for you to get use out of AppleCare.

I think it's worth the $70 especially if you're going to keep the device for 2 years.

And you don't have to buy it now, you can do so anytime within the first year while your default warranty is still in place.

Noeld

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
If you plan on keeping the phone for over a year I would say the Applecare is a good idea.

I have a macbook pro that had 2 months left on it's 3 year extended warranty recently. Something went wrong and they gave me a brand new unibody macbook pro and let me get a new 3 year extended warranty on it. Seems worth it to me!

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I usually get Applecare about a month before my 1 year warranty expires, helps spread the cost out a bit. You have plenty of time to add Applecare.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I'm still surprised that ATT doesn't offer insurance like every other phone provider does.

Best Buy will, but it's $15 per month, way too expensive. Better to put $75 in the bank and use it to replace the screen in case it shatters (which Applecare won't cover).

AmEx Extended Warranty - $0
AppleCare - $69

Going through AmEx wins! No, it's not as convenient as Applecare but AmEx will take care of you and you'll get a working phone either way.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
if you do buy it on your Amex AND buy AppleCare then you are up to a full 3 years of warranty on your device.

AppleCare covers all normal usage problems. It does not cover accidental damage or water damage. Apple will replace anything as long as it hasn't been water damaged and doesn't appear physically damaged (ie. a broken screen).

If you damage your phone and it isn't covered under AppleCare then they will offer you a replacement/repair for $199.

They always have your device in stock, so don't think you'll get upgraded to a new device with AppleCare if your device breaks.

Also, Square Trade offers accidental insurance on iPhones. http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/iphone-landing16

And I've also heard that in some cases it can be covered under your home owners insurance depending on the company and your plan.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I plan to buy a new iPhone in a year anyway, so there's no point in getting Applecare.

Sure there is. The person you give or sell the phone to might appreciate having it. You can probably get more money for it if the person purchasing it knows they have 2 years worth of warranty to look forward to!

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
So let me try to summarize this:

• Default: 90 days phone/1 year hardware failure insurance; does not cover accidental damage
  • AppleCare: 2 years phone/2 years hardware failure insurance; does not cover accidental damage
  • American Express: Extends hardware failure insurance to 2 years; does not cover accidental damage (Question: Do all American Express cards have this coverage or only specific ones???)
  • SquareTrade: 1 or 2 year hardware failure insurance; covers accidental damage

Is this correct?

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

AT&T does offer insurance, just not on the iPhone. The iPhone is not like other phones, because if you break the iPhone, it carries a MUCH higher cost with it. I had a Moto Q9h smartphone, that cost less than the iPhone, and AT&T insurance for that was $125 deductible that I pay to get a refurbished replacement. People would be breaking their iPhones all the time just to get a new one of AT&T had a cheap replacement program for it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So let me try to summarize this:

• Default: 90 days phone/1 year hardware failure insurance; does not cover accidental damage
  • AppleCare: 2 years phone/2 years hardware failure insurance; does not cover accidental damage
  • American Express: Extends hardware failure insurance to 2 years; does not cover accidental damage (Question: Do all American Express cards have this coverage or only specific ones???)
  • SquareTrade: 1 or 2 year hardware failure insurance; covers accidental damage

Is this correct?

American Express does cover accidental damage/theft in the first 3 months, under the Purchase Protection Plan (separate from Extended Warranty). This is how the member in post #7 was able to get the shattered iPhone screen covered. All you need to do is check if your AmEx card carries Purchase Protection Plan and Extended Warranty/Buyer's Assurance Plan.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Applecare only extends the warranty for ONE additional year on the iphone.
On computers and other accessories purchased at the same time it adds
TWO years to the one year warranty for a total of three years coverage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.